Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
puzzler

Default Re: A Question For The Lone Ranger

The reason it has the name 'glacial' is because it freezes so easily. If it became really cold it will take a long time at normal room temperature to thaw out completely.
Thanks, from:
Naru (01-07-2010)
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I've found MSDSs to be notoriously devoid of useful information.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Next thing you know, the thing will slowly start sliding downhill, gouging out a valley in the process.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (01-07-2010), Watser? (01-07-2010), wei yau (01-07-2010)
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

I was wrong, it's actually been sitting out for four days now, but it is very...very slowly melting. Still ~90% solid. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Solipsist

Dear Lone Ranger,

I have read that Alligators and birds share lung structure and ancestor. In particular,
Quote:
like birds, in alligators air flows in one direction.
How does this work? Do they breathe in through the mouth and out through the nostrils, or something? Or does this claim of "one direction" only mean in the lungs themselves?

Do they have the same structure of ribs and diaphragm as mammals, i.e. do they still have a breathe in - breathe out cycle? Is it controlled by valves, or what?

And does this mean there's an "in" connection and an "out" connection right down to every alveolus? Are their lungs structured more like the blood circulation system?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

The lungs of archosaurs (crocodilians, birds, and dinosaurs) are constructed rather differently from those of mammals.

Mammals (and amphibians, and non-archosaur reptiles) have what's called tidal respiration, meaning that there is a 2-way flow of air in our respiratory passages. Air first flows in during inspiration, and then out through the same passages during expiration.

Mammals use a unique muscle called the diaphragm to expand the chest cavity during inspiration. The intercostal muscles between the ribs also help to expand the chest cavity. Some of the neck and shoulder muscles can also help to raise the clavicles (collarbones) to further expand the chest cavity during inspiration.

As the chest cavity expands, the pressure inside the lungs drops, and so air is sucked in until the pressure of the air inside the lungs is equal to the outside air pressure. When the diaphragm and intercostal muscles relax, the chest cavity contracts and the lungs are compressed. This raises the pressure inside the lungs, forcing air out until the pressure inside the lungs is equal to the pressure in the outside air.

This is called negative-pressure breathing, since you bring air into your lungs by decreasing the internal pressure. One consequence of this is that there's no way to force air into your lungs. Another consequence is that you cannot empty your respiratory passages of air. That is, you cannot exchange all of the "stale" air in your lungs with "fresh" air, even if you take several deep breaths in quick succession.

Our respiratory passages end in small, blind-ended sacs known as alveoli. This is where gas exchange occurs (oxygen is absorbed from the air in the alveoli and into the blood; carbon dioxide is absorbed from the blood and into the air to be exhaled). But as you can imagine, this is a relatively inefficient process, since so much "stale" air remains in the alveoli and the rest of the respiratory passages.

By the way, just for comparison, most amphibians and some reptiles are positive-pressure breathers. Instead of expanding the lungs to suck air in, they draw air into throat pouches and then compress their throats to force air into their lungs. (That's why a frog's throat is always moving up and down; it's a mechanism for pumping air into its lungs.)

An archosaur's respiratory system works somewhat differently. They don't have tidal flow in their respiratory systems, they have one-way flow, meaning that air moves through the system in a continuous loop. One important consequence of that is that, during a 2-breath cycle, a bird can completely replace the air in its respiratory passages. This means that a bird has a much more efficient respiratory system than does a mammal, and this is part of the reason why birds can breathe and function normally in air that has so little oxygen that a mammal would asphyxiate.

A bird's respiratory system is rather more complicated than a crocodilian's, so we'll look at that.

A bird has relatively small lungs (as does a crocodilian), but 7 (or 9, depending on the species) relatively large air sacs. Many of a birds' bones are hollow, and some of the air sacs extend into the bones. (I saw an interesting demonstration once; somebody drilled a hole into both humerus bones of an albatross, down into the air sacs, and then plugged the bird's nostrils. It was able to continue breathing just fine.)

A crocodilian doesn't have anywhere near as elaborate a respiratory mechanism as does a bird, but it works on the same basic principle. Also, there is good fossil evidence that at least some dinosaurs had air sacs much like those of a modern bird and, presumably therefore, the same sort of respiratory mechanism. This isn't really too surprising, given the fact that birds are apparently the direct descendants of theropod dinosaurs. Some people have speculated that dinosaurs' much more efficient respiratory systems help to explain why dinosaurs so completely dominated mammals for over 100 million years. (Contrary to popular impressions, mammals have been around for as long as dinosaurs. In fact, the ancestors of what would become true mammals appeared first and were the dominant land animals for awhile, before being replaced as the dominant land animals by the early dinosaurs.)

The respiratory system of a bird.

Anyway, a bird breathes in a 4-step cycle that involves 2 complete breaths.

During Step 1 (the "first inspiration"), the bird draws air into its posterior (caudal) air sacs through the nostrils. (A bird does not have a diaphragm; only mammals have a true diaphagm. Contraction of muscles in the bird's chest move the breastbone outward to expand the chest cavity.)

During Step 2 (the "first expiration"), the bird compresses the posterior air sacs to force air into the lungs. As the air flows through the lungs, it flows not into blind-ended alveoli but through tiny tubes (air capillaries) that are open at both ends. This is where gas exchange occurs.

During Step 3 (the "second inspiration"), the bird expands its anterior (cranial) air sacs and the air flows into them from the lungs.

Finally, during Step 4 (the "second expiration"), the anterior air sacs are compressed and air flows out of the respiratory passages, via the nostrils.

You can see that the air moves in a continuous loop, not in the back-and-forth way that it moves through the respiratory passages of a mammal. Because of this, the bird is able to completely replace the air in its respiratory passages with every 2 breaths -- something no mammal can come close to doing. The air cannot flow backwards because of various valves which ensure one-way flow.

The 4-step respiratory cycle of a bird.

A crocodilian doesn't have the intricate series of air sacs that a bird has, but a crocodilian's lung is divided internally into several different chambers. Apparently, air flowing from one lung chamber to another moves in much the same way that air flows between the air sacs and lungs of a bird. What's more, in a crocodilian's lungs, gas exchange occurs not in blind-ended alveoli, but in open-ended tubes similar to those in the lungs of a bird. (Somewhat confusingly, a crocodilian's lungs do contain sacs that are sometimes called "alveoli." They aren't true alveoli, however; only mammals possess true alveoli, which are blind-ended sacs that serve as the primary sites of gas exchange.)

A crocodilian lacks a true diaphragm, but it has a muscle called the diaphragmaticus that performs much the same function. The diaphragmaticus is attached to the liver and some of the other internal organs, and when a crocodilian inspires, the diaphragmaticus pulls the liver and other organs back toward the hips, causing the chest cavity to expand. At the same time, intercostal muscles pull on the ribs to help expand the chest cavity (just as in mammals).

During expiration, the diaphragmaticus relaxes and the visceral organs move forward, compressing the lungs and forcing air out.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-18-2010), ceptimus (01-18-2010), Corona688 (01-23-2010), Crumb (01-19-2010), Ensign Steve (01-18-2010), JoeP (01-18-2010), Kael (01-18-2010), Miisa (01-19-2010), Pinecone (01-18-2010), Sock Puppet (01-18-2010), Watser? (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Solipsist

Thanks, Michael! I can't think of a single thing left unanswered.

Two diagrams! :bliss:

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
This means that a bird has a much more efficient respiratory system than does a mammal, and this is part of the reason why birds can breathe and function normally in air that has so little oxygen that a mammal would asphyxiate.
Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes.
JoeP (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 AM
Uber Enginerd

He did it that way to test your Faith!!!11
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (01-20-2010)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Dear TLR,
Someone made this claim on another forum: (in reference to funnel web spider bites in specific)
Quote:
But, good news, everybody! Cats (as usual) are extremely resistant to venom compounds and can take a few bites and still kill it and bat it under the porch! This also causes the kitty-battery (read: liver) to make Mr. Boots take a TWO-DAY nap to filter out the toxins. By example, our cats when we lived in BFE, Nevada would get rattlesnake and widow bites all the time and crash for a good 12 hours. That's 4 times as long. And that's terrible.
Is this true, partly true, or plain BS?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 AM

I'm going to say either "partly true" or "plain BS," depending on how you look at it.

First, there's a surprisingly-common belief that cats are particularly resistant to the venom of spiders, scorpions, and snakes. There's no evidence to support this belief, and it's almost certainly false.

It probably comes from the observation that cats often can catch and kill dangerous spiders, scorpions and even snakes without being bitten/stung. Plus, even in places where potentially-deadly spiders, scorpions, or snakes are quite common, one rarely hears of a cat being killed by one.

Why is this?

First, it's almost always the case that someone who is bitten or stung by a venomous animal receives the bite/sting because they either a.) tried to handle the animal or b.) stepped on it, put their hand on it, or otherwise inadvertantly molested the animal, causing it to bite or sting in self-defense.

A cat is much more likely to notice a potentially-dangerous spider, scorpion or snake than is a human, and will probably avoid it. Few cats in their right minds are going to take on a large snake in the first place. If the cat does decide to take on a spider, for example, the cat is much faster than a human and has much better reflexes, and so is unlikely to be bitten or stung.

And since a cat is much smaller than a human, even if it should accidentally step on or otherwise bump into a snake or spider, the snake or spider is far less likely to feel sufficiently-threatened that it will bite or sting in self-defense.

And perhaps even more importantly, a cat's fur is excellent defense against a spider's bite. Few spiders are going to be capable of getting through a cat's fur and delivering a potentially-dangerous bite, especially if the cat is trying to brush it off. Really, the cat's nose is about the only part of its body where a spider would have a realistic chance of delivering a bite. (The skin on the pads of the feet is too thick.)

It's also worth keeping in mind that most spiders, scorpions, and snakes, when they bite/sting in self-defense will inject little or no venom on the first bite/sting. The first bite/sting is usually a warning. (According to records kept by hospitals, about 3/4 of the time someone has been bitten by a rattlesnake, the snake injected little or no venom.)

Now it's certainly true that one of the main functions of the liver is to remove toxins from the blood. And an animal that has been injected with venom will typically find someplace relatively safe where it can "sleep it off" while the liver works to detoxify the venom. Of course, if the venom dosage was sufficiently high, the animal won't sleep it off. It'll die.

Nothing I've ever seen suggests that cats are any more resistant to spider, scorpion or snake venom than are any other vertebrates. Almost certainly, they aren't. I daresay the average cat is much, much better at avoiding getting bitten than is the average human, though.

[I find it exceedingly unlikely that a cat could take a venom-injecting bite from a full-grown rattlesnake and survive at all, 12-hour nap or no. And since when is it unusual for a cat to take a 12-hour nap after an exciting day? I rather doubt that spider/snake venom had anything at all to do with it.]

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-23-2010), curses (01-23-2010), Watser? (01-23-2010), Ymir's blood (01-23-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Dear TLR,

Is it possible to tell what species of Zebra died to make this rug? I want to sell it, but don't want to violate the Endangered Species Act and be fined a lot of money. I got it 8 or so years ago from a deceased friend's estate and he had gotten it from a Russian guy so I have no idea how old it is or where it came from.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Solipsist

Until TLR arrives to correct me, here are my thoughts.

The presence of brown 'shadow' stripes between the bold black stripes on the rump show that this is a Plains zebra Equus quagga (in SA, we'd call it Burchell's zebra Equus quagga burchelli but there are other subspecies to the north). They're quite faint though, which I think means it's a northern subspecies, not Burchell's - I'd guess a Grant's Zebra or a Crawshay's Zebra.

The stripes appear to fade out down the legs, which is also an indicator of a plains zebra.

I'm not sure of the endangeredness status of the Grant's zebra. The wikipedia article is unclear.

Mountain zebras and Grevy's zebras are the ones I know to be endangered - and it's not one of them.

Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Thank you African person!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm inclined to agree with JoeP.

Of the three zebra species, we can rule out Grévy's Zebra (Equus grevyi) right away. The stripes of a Grévy's Zebra are much narrower and closer-set; nor is the base of the tail striped.

We can pretty-confidently rule out the Mountain Zebra (Equus zebra) as well, because of the "shadow stripes."

The shadow stripes pretty-well confirm it as some subspecies of the Plains Zebra (Equus quagga), which is the most numerous and widespread of the 3 zebra species. As JoeP points out, the shadow stripes are rather faint, indicating one of the northern subspecies. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's a Grant's Zebra (Equus quagga boehmi), but Crawshay's Zebra (Equus quagga crawshayi) is also a distinct possibility.

Neither subspecies is considered to be threatened -- both are considered to be subspecies of "least concern" by the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). As such CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) does not prohibit the sale of Plains Zebra skins in the U.S. [CITES does prohibit sale of Grévy's Zebra and Mountain Zebra body parts.]

It might perhaps be wise to check with local law enforcement, though, just in case there are some obscure local laws that might apply.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 PM

I was hoping to sell it on eBay, so needed to make sure. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
California Sober

How come room-temperature pop foams and fizzes so much more than refrigerated?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM
puzzler

All gases, including the carbon dioxide of fizzy drinks, disolve better in cold water than in warm. So by warming up pop, you are reducing its capacity to hold on to the disolved gas - a small extra stimulous like shaking the bottle is enough to cause the gas to be released as fizz.

You can also see the effect when you heat water in a pan or kettle - the small bubbles you see when the water is nowhere near boiling are not steam but the disolved air being driven off.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-03-2010), erimir (02-03-2010)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm the young one on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Gasses (like the CO2 in your pop) are more soluble at low temperatures than high temperatures.

If you add more energy in the form of heat, the gasses become more "gaseous" and escape from solution.

Solids are the other way around. You raise the temperature to dissolve more sugar or salt etc. Starting as solids they become more "liquid" as you add more energy as heat.

"Solid-liquid-gas" is the same direction and the direction material substances go in with the addition of energy.

I'm sure TLR can express that more clearly and with more detail but that's the bottom line.

EDIT - Oops! Sorry about the cross-post Cep
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-03-2010)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
mesospheric bore

Hey, I can get this one! (eta - beaten to it) The carbon dioxide is more soluble in water at lower temperatures. In a can or bottle of fizzy the carbon dioxide is kept in solution by being under pressure, but when opened it can all come out of solution. When the drink is warmer the CO2 is less able to stay in solution so it all rushes out faster.

Something like that, anyway.

Now think about how the amount of CO2 dissolved in the oceans changes with temperature - through the cycle of ice ages, say - and then consider what effect any CO2 absorbed from or outgassed to the atmosphere will have on the ocean temperature.
Ensign Steve (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 AM
California Sober

Wow! Three for three! Go team! :cheer:
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Uber Enginerd

This is the way Sky Daddy prefers the Universe to operate: He does so enjoy a nice gin and tonic at the end of a hectic day..................
Old 02-03-2010, 04:44 AM
the internet says I'm right

I always loved it when I pulled a soda out at just the right temperature that it flash-freezes when I open it. Well, I don't really love it, 'cause then I'm out a soda, but it is really freaking cool.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Gasses (like the CO2 in your pop) are more soluble at low temperatures than high temperatures.

If you add more energy in the form of heat, the gasses become more "gaseous" and escape from solution.

Solids are the other way around. You raise the temperature to dissolve more sugar or salt etc. Starting as solids they become more "liquid" as you add more energy as heat.

"Solid-liquid-gas" is the same direction and the direction material substances go in with the addition of energy.

I'm sure TLR can express that more clearly and with more detail but that's the bottom line.

EDIT - Oops! Sorry about the cross-post Cep
I don't think I can add anything of value to what you and others have already explained.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Listener (02-04-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

You could make it more complicated, is the first thought that pops into my mind.

:yup:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences