Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Craiglist experiences?

I posted a few things last night, one of them a genuine zebra skin rug. I described it pretty fully I thought; a genuine zebra skin with mane, tale, face and legs backed with felt.

Got a response asking "Could you tell me a little more about it". Uh, it's a zebra skin rug. What else is there to tell?

The email had a big ole scam warning from Craiglist...has anyone sold anything this way? Did you have good experiences? What should I watch for?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
moonbat!

Default Re: Craiglist experiences?

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist. The only things I would say to beware of are out-of-town buyers/sellers and anyone who seems creepy or moronic... you don't want creeps and morons coming into your house to check out your merchandise. I only like selling to locals because I want cash in hand and don't want to deal with shipping. Although I have been willing to deliver some items to nearby towns for an extra fee... (because I have access to a pickup truck).

Your prospective buyer sounds like a potential moron... I agree with you, it's a zebra skin, what more is there to tell? Except maybe some rough dimensions.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM

It's the size of a zebra ;)

I planned on only selling to locals, and having them meet me at DH's office (which is a small used car lot) just because I don't want people at my house at all.

If I wanted to mess with shipping etc. I probably would have have gone with eBay...but I am new to CraigList, I guess I just assumed locals buying and selling from other locals was kinda the norm.

With the CraigList/prostitution stuff in the news, maybe I inadvertently used a code word and "Zebra skin rug" means "Blow job"
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-09-2009), freemonkey (07-09-2009), Jerome (07-25-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I've bought and sold a number of things via Craigslist, including a motorcycle. I've also gotten no response on several items and some no-shows or failed-to-reply to email answers, but actually, not a bad overall experience.
LadyShea (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I posted a few things last night, one of them a genuine zebra skin rug. I described it pretty fully I thought; a genuine zebra skin with mane, tale, face and legs backed with felt.

Got a response asking "Could you tell me a little more about it". Uh, it's a zebra skin rug. What else is there to tell?

The email had a big ole scam warning from Craiglist...has anyone sold anything this way? Did you have good experiences? What should I watch for?
The respondent may be trying to say, "Was it a male zebra? With parts still attached?"

Or possibly "Is it a bimbo zebra?"

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-09-2009), Stormlight (03-10-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

:nudge:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-09-2009), Stormlight (03-10-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Struggling to stay sober....

Crumb (03-09-2009), Doctor X (07-08-2009), JoeP (03-10-2009), Stephen Maturin (07-09-2009), Stormlight (03-10-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
California Sober

I love craigslist. I found my apartment on there, sold my old computer, all kinds of stuff. Just deal locally and in cash and you're golden. You're savvy enough to know a scam when you see one. I sold my computer to a big black guy and I had him in my apartment and everything. He had a young lady with him, possibly to make me feel better, but I really could have cared less either way. :shrug:
LadyShea (03-09-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

I've had good experiences with Craigslist. The worst that has happened is that people haven't showed up to pick the thing up, but whuteva, I just repost it. Definitely only deal w/local people and do the exchange in public when possible. The only time I let people come to my house was when I was selling furniture, then I waited outside to see if they were skeezy or anything before letting them in. No problems tho.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 PM

I got two seemingly valid inquiries today, if I sell both items it will pay my taxes! Woohoo!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
California Sober

:bump:

Is this a new thing, or am I just getting it now because I changed regions, or what? I put two ads in a couple weeks ago, one for a yard sale and one for some collectible crap I wanted to sell. Ever since then, I'm getting stupid fucking emails like "r u having trouble paying your bills this month?" or similar. Sometimes they even come referencing the wrong ad, like somebody else's ad, which makes me think their bot has a glitch or just misfires and they really don't care. I didn't mind at first, because I know my email address is anonymised, and as long as I don't reply I know I'll be okay. But it's been more than 2 weeks and they're still coming in. WTF? So lame.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Maybe regional. I posted my ads like 3 times, and never sold a thing. Everyone that responded was flaky.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
California Sober

Maybe the animal remains market is more flaky than the used computer market. Just a hunch.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM

I also had all of Kiddo's clothes from newborn to 3T :glare: those were the flaky respondents. I offered a whole size range, like 40 pieces for 18-24mos, for 30.00 and the girl wanted to go through and "pick and choose" unless I would take pics of each and every piece and sell them ala carte or some shit. Another girl simply failed to meet me, TWICE.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

That sounds like parents.
I'm currently trying to sell my old bike on craigslist.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
FAT WOMAN EXTRODINAIRE

I love Craigslist, that said here are things that make the whole experience better

Always assume 9 out of 10 times the poster will not respond or the responder will not call/show

if they seem overly protective or concerned about the item then it's not worth it. This is particularly true with pet ads.

I usually offer half or less on the item with the agreement that if they take my offer i will come by that day and get it. of course some items are worth and i just try to get there quickly.

when selling I always over book, i would rather too many show then no one, I usually advise folks to call before they come to double check.

when selling my items are in the garage near the garage door, so i open the garage and step out. (I am always amazed on who lets me walk in their house)

I only deal locally, when buying i base my search on the city i am in and then filter it down from there. I don't like driving around looking for a place, if i don't know the area i won't go. Selling you either come with cash or forget it.

I have furnished my house, found my dog darla and my 2 cats, and am rather addicted to it.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (07-09-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I've been looking for a roommate to share an apartment or other affordable domicile with for when I move to Raleigh next month for grad school.

So I found an ad from a guy named Estuardo who lives in a small apt. building 2 blocks from the north edge of campus (very convenient, since my classes are in the northern part of campus), 2br but only one bath. His building mates are all NCSU students except one working 20-something. He's gay (good, not a homophobe, maybe can socialize with him at gay stuff) but not single (also good, helps avoid awkwardness). So I was hoping this guy would be cool, since it's a great location and such.

Turns out he's a 50-something balding man who's actually named Stuart and is from Sanford, NC (small town actually near where I live right now) and works as a florist. Not the Hispanic college student I was expecting.

So I think I'll pass...

And yes, omg ageism ITT but I'd prefer to have a roommate I could socialize with. And he seemed boring. And there's something kinda creepy about a 50-something who's not going to school living in basically student housing...

The other apartments I looked at were much more promising tho.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

I found my apartment on craigslist, after a few weeks of looking.

I have a pile of stuff to put on craigslist when I get my shit together. erimir if you need a rolling office chair (with arms so you feel all executive), an alarm clock/iPod dock with the world's brightest LED display, big clunky 5-disc changer, dart board, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting about, let me know.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Admin

I can dim the display on my iHome clock radio. Do you not have an iHome clock radio?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

No, I don't know what brand this POS is. It would be fine but I broke the little piece of tinted plastic that goes over the display so it's like a tanning lamp.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Freakishly bright LED displays are the sort of thing that keep me up at night if they're shining where I can see them.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Rosetta Stoned

I only had one experience with Craig's list, and it wasn't that great, but I might be willing to try it again. I just think the lady I sold our baby swing to was nuts.

We agreed with this woman on a price of 40 bucks iirc, and arranged to meet in a parking lot for the exchange. When I get there, it's only her husband. He gives the swing a once over, hands me the cash, and stuffs it into his SUV. It was a pretty nice baby swing, battery operated with all the little nice attachments, etc. It had one scuff mark on it, and that was all that was wrong with it. A couple hours later this lady calls my cell phone screaming that I ripped her off and that there's an attachment missing and that the swing body is obviously cracked. She wants her money back. I basically tell her to stuff it, because either her husband is blind if what she says is true, or he lost an attachment as well as broke the thing when he was transporting it. That woman bugged me for over a week about the whole thing! What a bitch! Of course she wanted her money but had already thrown the swing away...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I am a huge racist against Craigslist people. I sort of assume they're all stupid and crazy. I've given a few things away, just put on the curb mostly.

The past few times, though, I've just used freecycle and the reactionary anti-freecycle offshoot for that.

I really should sell some things, though. I'm thinking I'll just do it like on the Sims, where you click on your wallpaper or chairs or whatever and select the sell option. I've never had any problems with that method.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (07-22-2009)
Old 07-09-2009, 03:28 PM

OMG I joined our local Freecycle group for awhile and it was all DRAMA. Like, enough drama I had to leave....and I can usually deal.

I put some things on the curb (amazing how this works everywhere. I put whole pieces of gross furniture out there both in Vegas and here in the sticks. The Dumpsterdivers found it all), give others to friends, but some things I don't want to give away. An entire boys wardrobe is worth something, ya know?

I did okay at the local flea market. It's 12.00 a day. But, the sucky part is having to sit at the flea market all day.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
California Sober

Really? Drama at freecycle? That's hilarious.

Before I moved, I used freecycle to get rid of half the shit in my apartment so I wouldn't have to pack it. Never had any drama, though. :darn:
lisarea (07-09-2009)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium