Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: General Environment Thrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
As for the millions and millions of people who live in Bangladesh, an impoverished country that would struggle to complete such a large and expensive engineering project in a proper fashion, assuming it's even feasible in the first place... well, they're all poor anyway, right? So it's not that big of a disaster for them to leave their shacks and huts and mud farms behind! They can just move to, you know... somewhere else.
Exactly! All that poverty and squalor, GONE, and at minimal cost to the taxpayer.
So what do you care, or are you pretending to support them somehow?
Right. To summarize: you put forth the idiotic notion that global warming won't be a disaster. When it is pointed out that the displacement of millions by rising oceans is an obvious catastrophe, your response is to whine that we don't really care. Can I take that as you admitting you were wrong?
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (11-19-2015), SR71 (11-20-2015), The Man (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Right. To summarize: you put forth the idiotic notion that global warming won't be a disaster.

When it is pointed out that the displacement of millions by rising oceans is an obvious catastrophe, your response is to whine that we don't really care.

Can I take that as you admitting you were wrong?
I'm sorry that you can't understand what I have posted, I just can't justify the effort to explain it any better. Simulations all depend on the quality of the information put into them.

You spelled that wrong, it should be 'wine'.

You may take it as any way your little mind desires, I really don't care.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Jeez, leave thedoc alone. He's waving his hands as hard as he can already.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-20-2015), JoeP (11-20-2015), slimshady2357 (11-20-2015), SR71 (11-20-2015), The Man (11-20-2015), Zehava (11-20-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Here is video of that big gas leak in California. I heard about it a while ago.

psssshhhhhh :gasmask: :holdbreath:

This is IR video, or else SkyNet, I forget.
Janet (12-30-2015), The Man (12-30-2015)
Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 AM
A fellow sophisticate

If IR, the gas escaping must be cold.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:02 PM

If it's SkyNet, that explains why there aren't any people.

:robothrust:
Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Japan's Bogus Excuse For Killing Hundreds Of Pregnant Whales | ThinkProgress

Quote:
Australia has said that Japan’s whale research program is less about science and more about exploiting a legal loophole for selling whale meat for commercial purposes. Australia even told ICJ that in undertaking its annual hunt, Japan was ignoring the 1986 moratorium “on taking, killing or treating of whales, except minke whales, by factory ships or whale catchers attached to factory ships.” Japan started its whaling program in 1987.
Research. Right. Researching the taste of whale meat.
Angakuk (03-28-2016), Janet (04-06-2016), lisarea (03-28-2016), Sock Puppet (03-28-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-13-2016), The Man (03-28-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I like to remind myself of this every now and again. We're not going to "kill the planet," or wipe out all life on Earth. Life on Earth has survived far worse than what we're capable of inflicting on it. It is, however, entirely possible that we'll screw up the planetary ecosystem to the point that we won't survive.

And, of course, if our short-sightedness leads to our own extinction, then we will have no one to blame for it but ourselves.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-13-2016), Ari (05-13-2016), BrotherMan (05-14-2016), Crumb (05-13-2016), Janet (05-13-2016), JoeP (05-13-2016), Kael (05-13-2016), Pan Narrans (05-13-2016), Sock Puppet (05-16-2016), SR71 (05-13-2016), The Man (05-13-2016), Zehava (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Unfortunately, it does get pretty complicated.
And this is why I don't put a lot of stock in what the models predict, the computer models are only as good as the information fed into them, and some countries don't have an interest in accurate predictions. That and the fear monger politicians have latched onto the model predictions of a disaster, to garner votes to keep themselves in office. If it were just scientists presenting information, it might be more accurate, but the politicians have taken what little information there is and twisted it to keep themselves in office, under the claim that they can fix the problem.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I like to remind myself of this every now and again. We're not going to "kill the planet," or wipe out all life on Earth. Life on Earth has survived far worse than what we're capable of inflicting on it. It is, however, entirely possible that we'll screw up the planetary ecosystem to the point that we won't survive.

And, of course, if our short-sightedness leads to our own extinction, then we will have no one to blame for it but ourselves.
Indeed, it is important to understand that if there is a disaster, who will it be a disaster for? The Earth and life on Earth will survive and adapt, but humanity might be screwed big time. It might be instructive to note the portion of the existence of Earth that humans have even been here, it's a very small percentage. So all those humans that everyone is pretending to be concerned about, will cease to exist, and something else will take over the Earth as the dominant species. To put it simply, humanity deserves whatever it gets.
Angakuk (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And this is why I don't put a lot of stock in what the models predict, the computer models are only as good as the information fed into them, and some countries don't have an interest in accurate predictions. That and the fear monger politicians have latched onto the model predictions of a disaster, to garner votes to keep themselves in office. If it were just scientists presenting information, it might be more accurate, but the politicians have taken what little information there is and twisted it to keep themselves in office, under the claim that they can fix the problem.
I'm sure you have a great deal of experience with modeling climate, and that this fact alone lends great credence to your inside knowledge of the great climate conspiracy. I will definitely keep you right at the top of my list of informed sources for climate eduction. /sarcasm
Crumb (05-14-2016), The Man (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure you have a great deal of experience with modeling climate, and that this fact alone lends great credence to your inside knowledge of the great climate conspiracy. I will definitely keep you right at the top of my list of informed sources for climate eduction. /sarcasm
Thankyou for reading something into my post that isn't there, it says more about your lack of comprehension, than what I have posted. If you are reading a climate conspiracy as a climate change denier, then you are wrong, but then I expect no less. The climate is changing, I just don't agree that it will be the disaster that some are claiming.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I really need to expand my ignore list and log on, so I don't need to read all the "bleeding heart liberals" who want to save everyone from everything, because they know best what is good for everyone.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 PM

It's not quite the monkey trial, but Peabody Coal has lost a court battle because the science just wasn't on their side. The old guard deniers are having trouble when it comes to supporting their positions with any evidence. They're no more than propagandists.

Peabody coal's contrarian scientist witnesses lose their court case | John Abraham | Environment | The Guardian

Quote:
How was this case won? Well certainly it helps to have science on your side. Without that, even the most expensive expert witnesses struggle. But Peabody’s scientists made errors that were easy to identify and point out to the Judge. Furthermore, the Judge was smart, quickly able to see through nonsense non-science.
We also showed that the experts for Peabody relied extensively on non-peer-reviewed reports, blog sites, and think tanks to support their conclusions (paragraph 359 in the report). The peer-reviewed scientific literature is the best source for accurate climate science information. In other areas, the Peabody experts used scientific papers that we showed were incorrect (paragraph 360 in the report, for example).
Angakuk (05-14-2016), Crumb (05-14-2016), JoeP (05-13-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-14-2016), The Man (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thankyou for reading something into my post that isn't there, it says more about your lack of comprehension, than what I have posted. If you are reading a climate conspiracy as a climate change denier, then you are wrong, but then I expect no less. The climate is changing, I just don't agree that it will be the disaster that some are claiming.
Nobody cares what you think. You have no qualifications to have a meaningful opinion.
JoeP (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You have no qualifications to have a meaningful opinion.
Interesting, you make claims based on ignorance, that certainly puts your posts into better perspective.

But I can see that this has more to do with my disagreeing with you than anything else.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You have no qualifications to have a meaningful opinion.
Interesting, you make claims based on ignorance, that certainly puts your posts into better perspective.

But I can see that this has more to do with my disagreeing with you than anything else.
Okay, maybe I'm wrong. Why don't you tell us about your accomplishments and relevant areas of study?
The Man (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

:sisfight:
JoeP (05-14-2016), thedoc (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, maybe I'm wrong. Why don't you tell us about your accomplishments and relevant areas of study?
LOL, Now you are looking for academic credentials, sorry to disappoint you but as I have stated, I have none, just a lot of independent study, reading and watching educational science programs. I don't have much regard for the statements made by politicians, as I believe they are mostly made for political gain, in getting reelected to some political office. My background includes all areas of science and I will carry ideas over from one area to another when they fit. In the past warmer was generally wetter, and colder was dryer. So with global warming you should expect that the climate will get wetter, not drier. Models predicting a warmer drier climate are probably wrong. They just don't fit with history.

Most of the books that I read in the past are now gone, and I don't have an easy way to reference back to them.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
It's not quite the monkey trial, but Peabody Coal has lost a court battle because the science just wasn't on their side. The old guard deniers are having trouble when it comes to supporting their positions with any evidence. They're no more than propagandists.

Peabody coal's contrarian scientist witnesses lose their court case | John Abraham | Environment | The Guardian

Quote:
How was this case won? Well certainly it helps to have science on your side. Without that, even the most expensive expert witnesses struggle. But Peabody’s scientists made errors that were easy to identify and point out to the Judge. Furthermore, the Judge was smart, quickly able to see through nonsense non-science.
We also showed that the experts for Peabody relied extensively on non-peer-reviewed reports, blog sites, and think tanks to support their conclusions (paragraph 359 in the report). The peer-reviewed scientific literature is the best source for accurate climate science information. In other areas, the Peabody experts used scientific papers that we showed were incorrect (paragraph 360 in the report, for example).
There are "scrubbers" that can remove the carbon from the exhaust of coal burning power plants, but they are expensive. So this is all about costs, and really has little to do with the environment.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL, Now you are looking for academic credentials, sorry to disappoint you but as I have stated, I have none, just a lot of independent study, reading and watching educational science programs. I don't have much regard for the statements made by politicians, as I believe they are mostly made for political gain, in getting reelected to some political office. My background includes all areas of science and I will carry ideas over from one area to another when they fit. In the past warmer was generally wetter, and colder was dryer. So with global warming you should expect that the climate will get wetter, not drier. Models predicting a warmer drier climate are probably wrong. They just don't fit with history.

Most of the books that I read in the past are now gone, and I don't have an easy way to reference back to them.
Oh well you're definitely an expert then. I don't know why all those idiots who research and publish in the subject don't just ask you. Idiots.
The Man (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
There are "scrubbers" that can remove the carbon from the exhaust of coal burning power plants, but they are expensive. So this is all about costs, and really has little to do with the environment.
You should invest in coal!

Quote:
Peabody is the latest in a string of coal-company bankruptcies that have also engulfed other industry leaders, including Alpha Natural Resources and Arch Coal. The upheaval has raised concerns that the industry will not be able to afford to pay for cleanup costs related to its many mines across the country.

“Bankruptcy restructuring could provide coal companies with a way of escaping obligations to restore land,” reported The Washington Post’s Steven Mufson and Joby Warrick earlier this month. The issue has even drawn attention in the U.S. Senate. “American taxpayers should not be left on the hook to clean up coal mines when coal companies go bankrupt. The pollution they create is their responsibility to clean up, and we should have laws on the books that force them to do that,” said Senator Maria Cantwell (D-Wa.), ranking member of the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, in a statement to the Post.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh well you're definitely an expert then. I don't know why all those idiots who research and publish in the subject don't just ask you. Idiots.
I know I'll probably regret having to read your fiction, but it's your turn.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know I'll probably regret having to read your fiction, but it's your turn.
I read articles I see on the internet. Most of them are based on studies by people who work in the area of climate or environment. I don't just sling around my own ill informed opinions as if they had any weight to them they way you do. Or Lindzen, Tisdale, Watts and all these other salesmen.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM

U.S. Olympic athletes fight back against efforts to sell America’s public lands

Quote:
Such views are not unique to these anti-government extremists. A small group of anti-park politicians, led by Utah Congressman and House Natural Resources Chair Rob Bishop, have rallied around bills which aim to strip protections and give away public lands to the highest bidder. Rep. Bishop has been one of the most vocal members of the land seizure movement and has refused to condemn the actions of Bundy and the rest of the armed extremists.
I'm glad these atheletes are publicizing this issue. It seems as if this effort to privatize public land is fairly high on the Republican agenda, but not something they want to come to the forefront as something to associate with the Republican party. I don't believe a very large segment of the public would be pleased if more light were shown on the effort to sell off public lands.
Angakuk (09-13-2016), Crumb (09-13-2016), Janet (09-17-2016), lisarea (09-13-2016), The Lone Ranger (09-13-2016), The Man (09-13-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences