Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Tellifying

Default Re: It's not TV, it's ROME

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
Oh, man. Now I want to hear the dialogue using American dialects! :giggle:
That would be weird. Though any American dialect used to represent the lowerclasses would be offensive to someone. After all, we Americans are without class! ;)
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldar
Oh, fudge. I couldn't find any such thing on my OD and figured you just had a better class of OD.
Naw, it's in a weird place. Instead of going via HBO-Series-Rome, I went to HBO-All Shows (or something like that) and it was on the second screen. The weird thing is it started and ended so abruptly I thought I had pushed a cancel button inadvertantly. I'm hoping that was just a sampler and a full length commentary track will eventually be made available.

Quote:
I've seen this reference on TWoP, I don't know what it means.
In the A&E/BBC production of Pride and Prejudice, Cicero there played the single most annoying, priggish, idiotic, ass-kissing, social climbing greaseball character on screen: Mr. Collins, cousin and heir of the Bennets. It's bizarre and disconcerting to see that face as Cicero.

Quote:
Heh.

I actually missed that, though it was far from subtle. I was too busy thinking how easy and enjoyable it would be to plunge a dagger into the face of this spoiled and ineffectual fop.
Honestly, I didn't even think of the daggers in the senate premonition until the second viewing, so even though it's obvious I actually think it was quite subtle for the very reason you didn't notice it: character-based misdirection. Bodes well, really.

Quote:
But, the characters we are supposed to hate....well, they have almost no redeeming qualities. The jury is still out on Servilia, she just might be human. But, I've just read about Publius Clodius...and the hate I feel for him burns brighter than a thousand burning nuns.
She's humanized by her passion for Caesar, I think. Although I might actually have that backwards: being loved by Caesar elevates her. Besides, Colleen's treatment of their affair is just really hot.

Clodius is a shit from hell. I hate him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment
There were lots of nice little touches like these. I'm sure when I watch it again I'll notice some more. This is why the plot device of "accidentally stumbling across the eagle-theives in the vastness of Gaul" seemed pretty weak to me, although I might have accepted it in a lesser show.
Yes! Thank you. Not to mention the stumbling takes place a few convenient minutes after they get their horses stolen so they don't have to stalk the forest in their caligae and exposed shins and thighs for months.

It was a device, nothing more. Although in a way that parallels the story itself wherein the loss of, search for and discovery of the eagles are all devices to set the wheels in motion as well. :chin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment
I'm always intrigued by the way accents from England are used to portray class differences in other societies - a device used in a number of films and TV series. The Roman senators have the classic oratory voice, whereas the slave trader had a bit of a cockney accent. I guess in the modern English language the closest familiar point of reference we have to Roman social stratification is the English class system. So it makes sense, but it usually amuses me.
I blame Shakespeare. Ever since he wrote his Roman plays there's been no dodging the English accent = ancient Romans association. Marlon Brando did his best, but since he was playing Antony everybody just chalked it up to the liquor and whores and moved right along to Richard Burton. :D
Old 08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
I blame Shakespeare. Ever since he wrote his Roman plays there's been no dodging the English accent = ancient Romans association. Marlon Brando did his best, but since he was playing Antony everybody just chalked it up to the liquor and whores and moved right along to Richard Burton. :D
Probably true. I also think the upper class of the British Empire liked to think of the Romans as being somewhat like themselves.

The funny thing is that neither Shakespeare or anyone of his time talked in those oratorical accents we now associate with him, so it's just as silly in any of his plays. Recently there was a production where they did some play (I forget which) in actual Elizabethan accents, or as near as can be reconstructed. I would have loved to have seen it. Apparently some of those weird rhymes actually do rhyme.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Hopefully this isn't too terribly off-topic, but does anyone else remember the television miniseries Masada with Peter O'Toole? It came out in 1981 I think, and I remember that I just loved it at the time.

I don't know if it's truly as good as I remember, but when/if it's ever released on dvd, I'll seriously consider buying it. Peter O'Toole played the Roman general Flavius Silva and Peter Strauss played the leader of the Jewish Zealots. What I particularly remember was that both men were portrayed as intelligent, honorable and sympathetic characters who genuinely respected each other and could easily have been fast friends under different circumstances.

For some reason, I've always remembered one line of Silva's that went something like this: "These Jews aren't like the Britons, who stand out in the sun like archery targets and dare you to do something about it -- they're crafty fighters."

I also remember loving the score, by Jerry Goldsmith. I loved how the main theme started out slowly and quietly, then broke into a majestic march. (I found a clip and attached it.) Heck, I may have to see if I can find a cd of the soundtrack album.

Cheers,

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 goldsmith_masada_clip.mp3 (640.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-05-2005, 02:55 AM

I loved that series, Michael. I've only seen it dubbed into Italian, but I was glued to the TV when it was on. I got the same impression you did about the genuine respect between the leaders. I also fondly recall the giant siege engines and magnificent location shots.

In Rome news,
Old 09-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

There is a show about Rome starting tomorrow on the History channel, in case you are interested. It is called Rome: Engineering an Empire. It is about the Romans advances in technology.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:21 AM

I've got it jotted down in my mental calendar, Crumb. :yup:
Old 09-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

cool. :pleased:
Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 AM
California Sober

I almost bought HBO today on drunken impulse. The thing that stopped me was the realization that I wouldn't suddenly have HBO, as was my goal, but that I would have to go somewhere and pick up the box. Probably after the holiday and everything.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:08 AM
professional left-winger

Old 09-05-2005, 04:09 AM

They'd prolly bring you the box, but yeah, definitely after the holiday and everything.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
I almost bought HBO today on drunken impulse. The thing that stopped me was the realization that I wouldn't suddenly have HBO, as was my goal, but that I would have to go somewhere and pick up the box. Probably after the holiday and everything.
That's OK though, because you'd have On Demand and could watch it any time you want.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 AM
California Sober

Yeah, On Demand was the reason I almost ordered it. I want to watch the Rome series from the top, but I was also in the mood to watch the third season of Oz. Don't ask me why ... I was drunk.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Still waiting, bey. :waiting:

Quote:
Guess I'll be watching HBO-OD tonight. Thanks for the heads-up!

And...what a great idea for the OD feature. Commentaries are definitely one of the biggest selling points for DVDs. This is inspired!
That's what I thought. Until OD started working again and I realized it was a "commentary" on the first 5 minutes of the show only. Way to whet the appetite, you HBO prickteases.
Umm. Should you not be using a different insult since you are a member of the fairer sex?

I wonder if I should watch the third episode early. It is currently available for On Demand viewing in my area. I wonder if its availablility is due to some technical mishap.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
I loved that series, Michael. I've only seen it dubbed into Italian, but I was glued to the TV when it was on. I got the same impression you did about the genuine respect between the leaders. I also fondly recall the giant siege engines and magnificent location shots.

In Rome news,
I am thinking the same thing. Why else would she

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 PM
professional left-winger

Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:

In Rome news,
yeah, indeed

I am loving the political maneuvering so far.

the interplay is badass.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 AM

MonCapitan2002:

freemonkey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bey
I am loving the political maneuvering so far.

the interplay is badass.
It is. Here's hoping it just keeps heating up. :caesar2:
Old 09-06-2005, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb
There is a show about Rome starting tomorrow on the History channel, in case you are interested. It is called Rome: Engineering an Empire. It is about the Romans advances in technology.
I might have to start a new thread about this because I am watching it right now and it features one of the coolest fortuitous random intersection of things I love ever of all time. Coolest. Ever.

:faint: :cartwheel: :faint: :cartwheel: :faint: :cartwheel: :faint:
Old 09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
In Rome news,
Old 09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb
I might have to start a new thread about this because I am watching it right now and it features one of the coolest fortuitous random intersection of things I love ever of all time. Coolest. Ever.

:faint: :cartwheel: :faint: :cartwheel: :faint: :cartwheel: :faint:
Get that thread started already!

Apparently the whole week, the History Channel will be doing Rome-centric stuff. Tonight...VICE!

As for the Engineering, I only got as far as Vaspasian and the Colosseum. I fell asleep before the second hour. Great background stuff for HBO's Rome.

Coincidence? Given the lengthy HBO commericals during this broadcast, I doubt it.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Quote:

So, when can we dispense with the spoiler tags?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe when everyone has had a chance to watch the Tuesday rebroadcast? Or perhaps we're being nice to those who'll only be able to watch it when it comes out on DVD? :dunno:

I'm not feeling the love for this show yet. I was HBO's bitch for The Sopranos and Six Feet Under--no spoilers from the last two seasons please!--from the first episode but seeing Deadwood with its drooling fans makes me think bailing after three episodes might've been too hasty. So I'm giving Rome two more episodes. I'm waiting to be wowed.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM
not very big for a grown-up

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not until late November, I'm afraid, when it airs here.(even though it's part funded by the beeb).

Seriously, I will avoid this thread until I've seen at least some of the series, so don't mind me. :sadcheer:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature