Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Cause without a rebel

Default Steak

I have a rather nice rump steak for my dinner tonight which was reduced in price in the supermarket yesterday. Steak ..........yum. I can't really tell the difference between rump and sirloin, and have only had fillet once in my life .. I was expecting something extraordinary, given what you pay for a tiny little bit, but it wasn't anything out of the usual.. maybe I didn't cook it properly.

So, what's your favourite steak?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Cause without a rebel

Default Re: Steak

hey this was meant to be a poll... waaaaaaaaaaaaah! where's my poll option? *pouts*
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Oh man... That's a shame, Moosie. You can't edit a poll into a post that doesn't have one, I'm afraid. You're going to have to make this an informal poll (ie, a normal thread :ffwink: ) or start a new thread. :comfort:
Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Cause without a rebel

I am desolated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cryhome:
Old 07-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Cause without a rebel

Okay, I am over it. I go for sirloin ;)
Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Would you feel better if I told you my favorite steak probably would never have made it onto your poll because it's so obscure I only know of one place that has served it and even there it's a rarity?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Cause without a rebel

Oooh yes do tell!!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Hanger steak. It's the bit between the last rib and the loin, so there are only two on any given cow. It's not tender or succulent like those pussy fillet mignons -- it can even be a little tough in its own way -- but my God, Moosie, the flavor... :vapours:

It's seriously the best tasting piece of beef I've ever had. If you happen to find it on a menu of a good restaurant, look no further for your dinner choice.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Cause without a rebel

Hanger steak? i have never heard of it :). What is the flavour like? Would it be obtainable from a supermarket butcher?

*eyeballs herd of cows from living room window in speculative fashion*
Old 07-13-2005, 03:09 PM

I don't know if you can find it from a supermarket butcher, but definitely from a real one. In fact, one of its other names is "butcher steak" because it has the reputation of being a cut the butcher takes home instead of selling.

I can't really describe the flavor except to say that it was like a full declaration of a taste all the other cuts of beef I'd ever had only intimated at.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Tellifying

Hanger steak is good, no doubt. But, it is exceedingly rare to find. I've seen in on French bistro menus (where it is referred to as an onglet steak).

Fortunately, the hanger steak is very closely related to the skirt steak. They are two different cuts from the same area, the diaphragm. But, skirt steak is more easily found.

Skirt steak is equally flavorful, if a little bit tougher. I can hardly ever find it down here in Virginia, but it's a pretty common-place cut up in NYC. Skirt is often packaged sliced up already for fajitas. But, I prefer it as a whole steak.

I'll take skirt steak when I can find it, think of it as a poor man's hanger steak.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Cause without a rebel

I am interested now! Our supermarket butchers tend to be very good - better than the independent ones I know to be honest; I have gone off them after my sister's partner, who's a farmer, told me about the local ones and the animals they tend to buy and threw in a story, hopefully apocryphal, about one in particular who bought a dead sheepdog for pies (he swears that is true) - so I'd rather go to a supermarket one. Next time I am in there I will ask about how easy it is to obtain and how much it would be.

It's not too strong a flavour though is it? I am not too keen on things like venison and game because they are too strong.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseIBe
It's not too strong a flavour though is it? I am not too keen on things like venison and game because they are too strong.
Hmmm...sheepdog pie. I think I'll pass.

As for the flavor of skirt or hanger steak, I wouldn't say it's gamey. But, it's definitely beefy. It also takes to marinades very nicely, I recommend worcestershire sauce.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Damn. I didn't think the shepherd in Shepherd's Pie meant that. :stunned:

eldar's got it, Moosie. It's not gamey at all. There's none of the underlying funk you get with game. They're still cows, after all, fed on nice, comfy grasses and grains. It's just like beef x 10.

He's also right about the marinade, and just in general you have to be careful not to dry it out during cooking. Pan searing is definitely the way to go with hanger steak.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Tellifying

Amen, pan searing is the best way for these cuts of beef. Although, I've been pretty successful with quick high-temperature broiling, but it's hard to get most broilers hot enough.

As the cut is pretty thin, you don't have to spend too much time cooking it. But, by that same token, be aware that it will cook very quickly. Fortunately, it doesn't suffer too bad for being a shade over medium rare.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:57 PM

Amen right back atcha. Five minutes on each side is all it takes for a nice sear. Although I've never made hanger steak at home, I'd probably rub a few basic spices on it, sear til it's got that yummy spicey crust, remove from pan and then toss a few shallots or vidalias or red onions to caramelize with the natural juices and serve as a lovely little saucelet on top of the steaks.

So, um, am I the only one craving steak now?

Last edited by livius drusus; 07-13-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Tellifying

:cowdance:

:homdrool:
Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Kansas City Steak Company has awesome steaks. My parents have sent me KC Steak Co "triple trimmed" fillet mignon's several times. Grilled properly, they are the best food I have ever eaten. At roughly $15/steak (10 ounce's prior to cooking) I suppose they better be.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Good God, that's expensive. I've wondered about those services. How do they package the stuff? Does it get delivered in a freezer truck or something?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Admin

When I first started making what was to me a lot of money, I decided to start ordering the choicest cut of steak when I went out. Somewhere along the line I came to believe that was Prime Rib, so that's what i got, while my girlfriend at the time would order filet mignon. Ironically, every time I took a bite of hers I preferred it to my own, but I continued to order the Prime Rib because I believed it was the choicest. Years later I asked the butcher at Kroger what the choicest was and he said tenderloin. When I said I'd never heard of tenderloin, he said "restaurants call it filet mignon".

Guess what my favorite steak is now.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

My favorite steak is the bone-in rib steak. 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick, salted and peppered, and cooked to medium rare over a roaring hot charcoal fire. Served with a baked potato, cesar salad, and crusty bread, this is one of my favorite meals. :hungry:
Old 07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Cause without a rebel

5 minutes on each side? Good God, it would be incinerated, especially if it's thin. I am not especially a fan of rare or even medium rare steak but .. five minutes on each side?!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:42 PM

Okay, okay... Four minutes. :giggle: Seriously, it's not thin as in cube steak or paillard thin. It's thinner than fillet mignon, sure, but it's definitely a good hunk of beef, and it's also kind of squarish instead of a flat slab.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Tellifying

Well, I've already praised the wonder that is skirt/hanger steak.

But, it's not my favorite cut. If for no other reason, it's not the kind of steak I could have repeatedly. The cut of steak that I can have over and over again is the bone-in rib steak. Kudos to Skep for such excellent taste.

The bone imparts wonderful flavoring to the meat. And the steak itself has "bite". Lack of bite is exactly why I don't like filet mignon. Choicest or not, it too often reminds me of mildly beef-flavored tofu.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Good God, that's expensive. I've wondered about those services. How do they package the stuff? Does it get delivered in a freezer truck or something?
Vacuum sealed in heavy duty plastic, shipped on dry ice.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink