Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > Cream of The Crap

Rate this Entry

To Blog or not to Blog

Posted 10-14-2007 at 08:33 PM by Crumb
Updated 03-12-2008 at 12:11 AM by Crumb (Adding to category)

:wave:

I'm trying to figure out why I would post something as a blog here rather than as a thread in the main forum. :chin: But my curiosity prevents me from not at least giving it a test run. I could perhaps see posting a bit more info about myself if this were more private than the main forum, like the journals generally were. But I assume that these are visible to non-members (Is that true?) and with that link to the blog in ever post it doesn't seen much more obscure than posting on the forum.

So for the bloggers and blog readers out there: What are the advantageous of posting something here as opposed to the main forum? How do you decide what to post here, as opposed to posting in the main forum?

:thankee: Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Posted in Miscellaneous
Views 11715 Comments 6 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    My blogging here hasn't yet made it past the intentions stage, but when I consider it the idea is to use my blog as an outlet for musings I'd like to give others the opportunity to read, but for which I'm not actively soliciting replies.
  2. Old Comment
    On the plus side, posts made to a blog rather than the forum won't disappear off the page if you don't post for a while.

On the other hand, fewer people are likely to look at it in the first place. :dunno:
  3. Old Comment
    While I'll certainly post self-centered stuff on the forums, I am pondering a blog just to write about shamelessly "Me, Me, Me" subject matter. That's about the only reason I'd post to a blog here. Or, as cep' pointed out, to post long, involved stuff of limited interest to others that won't drop into the archives when nobody posts replies.
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fragment
    but when I consider it the idea is to use my blog as an outlet for musings I'd like to give others the opportunity to read, but for which I'm not actively soliciting replies.
    Yeah, but I am typically looking for replies on everything that I post to the internet, otherwise I would just keep it to myself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cep
    On the other hand, fewer people are likely to look at it in the first place.
    See I was actually considering this as a plus. But since there doesn't seem to be a privacy option for :ff: members only can view the blog so that I can block the spiders from indexing it, I don't really consider it that much of an advantage.

I can kind of see that if I were to do something like the Chia Homer in the future where I have ongoing updates to something and don't expect much in the form of responses other than encouragement that the blog would be better for that than a thread.
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sock
    Or, as cep' pointed out, to post long, involved stuff of limited interest to others that won't drop into the archives when nobody posts replies.
    I do agree that the "slow pace" of the blog section is an important distinction from the main forum. May be a good place for some random writings on miscellaneous subjects. A place to flog my current obsessions without bothering too many people with it.
  6. Old Comment
    Interesting question--I wondered about this too at first. I figure I am going to use mine mainly to discuss the music I post on my sig, as I have time to write and research a bit on them. Kind of as as appendix to my profile, if you will. There isn't any pressure to "produce" a rapid response and I can work on it at my leisure. And then other stuff that comes to mind, like pieces to an essay. My "world emperor" blogs are really just a notepad for my ideas--I think of stuff and if I don't write about it I'll forget.

And then there's times I could have blogged something but completely forgot I even have a blog and posted the topic to the forums. Like "the queen's shit tickets" probably would have made a good blog entry, but I didn't think of it until after I had already posted it on the forums. Of course, then putting my own thread on ignore was about as swift--good thing liv's got her thinking cap on, or I still wouldn't know what happened to that thread...

ANYWAY

Is there some hobby or ongoing thing in your life or thing that you do that you would want to share about, or create a running commentary on? That seems to be the gist of the "category" function--create a category then keep adding it to it when the mood strikes. And who knows where that might lead? I recently heard this one guy talking about how he was publishing a book based on blog entries--not intending to write a book, but realizing at a certain point he had all the material for a book all written and all ready to go in his blog.