Thread: How Twitter?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 02:35 PM
mesospheric bore

Default Re: How Twitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I don't understand how Twitter works.

I have two accounts, one where I follow people in tech and only tweet about tech stuff (which I use rarely) and one where I follow journalists, academics, politicians, etc. and tweet most about politics, current events, etc. which I use daily.

I have about 600 followers on the first account, and 350 on the second. Yet the VAST majority of my followers on both accounts have never liked, retweeted, or commented on a single tweet I have made; 99% of the likes I get come from comments on other people's tweets, and even then I average about one like per tweet.

Before you say "maybe you just don't say anything interesting" believe me I have considered that! I have tried short tweets, long tweets, using lots of tags, no tags, serious tweets, funny tweets, grammatically perfect, sloppy and unpunctuated, etc. etc. and always exactly the same results. Yet someone else with just as many followers as me can tweet "i like bread" and get hundreds of likes, retweets, and comments.

I get that it's an absolutely terrible platform for serious engagement with others but somehow a lot of people seem to make it work.

I should add that I click 'like' on every tweet that is mildly amusing or interesting, retweet a fair amount of stuff, and make occasional comments on people's posts.
As far as I can tell the trick is to get sucked into a bubble then play to the audience. But I've only started using recently so what do I know.

I've generally had the most likes (5-6) from short snarky quips on contentious threads. I think I've seen you manage to do that once or twice? :wink:
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (08-30-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-30-2021), slimshady2357 (08-30-2021), Stormlight (09-06-2021), viscousmemories (08-30-2021)

Page generated in 0.13737 seconds with 11 queries