View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Your claim that there is definite compulsion is incompatible with your admission that his principle is tautological.
It is not incompatible. There is a definite compulsion to choose whichever choice is made. Each person is different, and we cannot know in advance if the choice will be Obama or another President (as an example), but that doesn't change the fact that compulsion is involved even though you claim it's tautalogical because either choice is the right choice.
This has nothing to do with prediction. Your claim that there is definite compulsion involved flatly contradicts your admission that his principle is tautological. Tautologies are true in all conceivable scenarios and thus rule out nothing. Compulsions rule out certain possibilities in favor of others, and therefore must rule out something.

Quote:
Quote:
I know you misread my post. But I'm still waiting for you to tell me what conclusion you were talking about when you said that his conclusion was not contingent.
The choice someone makes is contingent on his life circumstances, which only he knows. He is under a compulsion to choose that which is the most preferable. It's not an equal choice, and yet the necessary truth of this law is not predicting or stating what that choice will be. But that doesn't make it meaningless. All that this knowledge is meant to convey is that the choice that is made is the only choice that could have been made, after the fact.
What? I didn't ask you anything about a contingent choice. I am asking you for the conclusion of Lessans reasoning which you were referring to when you said it was not a contingent one.

Quote:
Quote:
What? I'm not asking you anything about prediction. Again: Do you agree that you cannot validly infer a contingent conclusion from a necessary or tautological premise? [Y/N]
No. We're not inferring any conclusion from a necessary premise. We cannot infer that Obama is going to be elected.
You're all over the place here, Peacegirl. I'm not asking whether you can infer anything about Obama. Lessans obviously is inferring a conclusion from a necessary premise, because his satisfaction principle is the basis of all of his subsequent reasoning, and you've just agreed that this premise is necessary and tautological.

Do you believe that it is possible to validly infer a contingent conclusion from a necessary premise?

Quote:
Quote:
You keep just asserting that he supported it without ever actually providing any support for it. Calling it an observation doesn't make it supported. The only thing that can make it supported is actual support for it provided within his book. And Lessans forgot to include any. All you can do is point to the chapter and assert that the support is in there somewhere. But it isn't.
It is provided. We can describe what the moon looks like from observation. He is not inferring anything. He is describing what he sees, which is not as obvious as looking at the moon, but is just as accurate.
You are still confusing making an observation with supporting what one says. Observation or not, he doesn't provide any support at all anywhere in his book for the alleged innate potential perfection of conscience which his argument relies upon. Firstly, it isn't possible to directly observe something like that, as it isn't something that can be perceived via the senses (like looking at the moon), and would have to be inferred in some manner. And secondly, being an observation doesn't make it supported. Support would be a reason, in the form of evidence or argument printed in the words of his book, for believing that conscience has some such innate potential for perfection. You have ZERO support for this. You have only your unshakeable faith that anything he asserted without supporting was something he must have been in a position to reliably 'observe' in some manner.

Quote:
Quote:
Lessans' own argument against free will presupposes the falsity of compatibilism in the very way that he defines his terms. So unless compatibilism is actually wrong (as opposed to merely less than perfectly ideal) then his reasoning fails.
The definition comes after the observation. He didn't create a definition with a goal in mind. Compabilists had a goal; they tried to make two opposing principles to fit neatly together, but if you look deeper, it does not fit. They are trying to make it appear that one kind of compulsion is forced, and another kind is not forced. That's 100% false. Compulsion is compulsion regardless of its strength. There is so much confusion with this word it is no wonder everyone is mixed up.
Nothing you've said here about compatibilism is even remotely accurate. Nor does any of this address the point you were replying to. Lessans failed to even consider the relevance of compatibilism for his argument, and showed no signs of even being aware of what is the dominant position on the issue he was discussing.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but him simply claiming that language is needed for facial recognition, and asserting how he thought the process worked doesn't count for anything at all. Without any actual support for the accuracy of his claimed account, there is no reason for anyone to agree that his 'observations' here are spot on. His claim that the alleged absence of facial recognition in dogs is evidence for unsupported theory of efferent vision turns out to rest upon another completely unsupported theory about language and projection - a theory which itself incorporates his unsupported account of vision.
Just remember that every bit of empirical evidence to prove that dogs can recognize their master from a picture is not conclusive whatsoever. So don't tell me that scientists have support for this belief. It is completely unsupported and their statistical significance is nil. Not only that, his explanation is strongly supported because it takes language for human beings to identify differences in substance. A child will not be able to distinguish a fox from a dog until he learns the differences by means of words. My grandchild use to call big dogs lions because he didn't yet understand the characteristics that separate a lion from a dog, until he developed a picture of that difference which involved language. This is so clearly explained in the chapter that I have no doubt that the only people who are fighting me on this are the people who don't want him to be right.
Sorry, but you don't get to decide that all of the evidence supporting canine facial recognition counts for nothing at all just because you don't like it. But let's reverse engineer your father's sound reasoning based on astute observations and see what we've now got.

Humans allegedly can't distinguish between dogs and foxes without language, and cannot be conditioned to foods in a way that involves physically changing the taste buds. Therefore language affects vision in such a way as to make the projection of values possible, but this allegedly cannot be explained with afferent vision. Therefore the alleged (yet contrary to all actual experimental evidence) lack of facial recognition in dogs can be best explained by efferent vision plus their lack of language. Therefore humans have eyes which can see in real time thanks to photons which appear instantaneously having come from the Sun at which they were never located.

If this makes any kind of sense to you, then you are quite literally insane.

Quote:
Quote:
He obviously was ignorant if he thought that we could only project values given efferent vision. That's simply not true, as value projection is a well understood phenomenon which works just fine with afferent vision. Obviously Lessans must have been ignorant of this. And you are again inventing 'facts' by claiming that we cannot be conditioned with other senses. You have no more evidence for this than you do for any other of his unsupported claims.
You don't even understand the first thing about what he means when he says "projecting a value onto substance", so don't even go there. We cannot be conditioned in the way we are conditioned with the eyes. I don't know where everyone's been but I explained the difference. Association is not true conditioning. I am not inventing facts. Admit that you may be wrong on all counts, and I will respect your humility. Otherwise, I believe you have an agenda and that is to be right at all costs.
Regardless of whatever Lessans may have meant about projection as he described it, he was obviously completely ignorant of the existing actual knowledge on the subject if he thought value projection was impossible given afferent vision and could only be explained in the way that he claimed.

Page generated in 0.15999 seconds with 11 queries