View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I'm loving the current attitude in this thread of, "I'm not going to lose any sleep if this kid I don't even know doesn't get to take her sailing trip." Yeah, neither am I, and the judge probably isn't either. But the kid and her parents definitely did. This thread was spawned by a conversation in chat about whether people are overly complacent about the amount of control the state has over individuals' personal choices regarding their children's educations, and I think this thread continues to be further evidence that yes, yes they are.
Since I was the one who first said I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, I guess I ought to say something. Caveat: The "...I don't even know..." part wasn't part of my original assertion, and my knowing her or not isn't really relevant to my opinion in this case.

The main question I have been addressing is whether the state's interest in ensuring that all children receive a particular sort of baseline education outweighs an individual's interest in doing something relatively frivolous, like setting a world record. My intent in saying that I wasn't going to be losing any sleep over her not getting to take her trip was to say that, by way of contrast, I would lose sleep over the state failing to ensure that baseline education or, in other words, I think that former interest outweighs the latter.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (07-12-2010), Stormlight (07-23-2010), Watser? (07-12-2010)

Page generated in 0.16564 seconds with 11 queries