Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I didn't lie about anything just because I disagree that you have absolute proof in hand.
Really? You disagree? How?

In Fizeau's experiment, he determined that the light was blocked by visual inspection. If he saw the light reflected off the mirror in real time, his geared wheel would have to be spinning fast enough to block his view as soon as the light reached the mirror. That would be (distance from gear to mirror)/time.

Instead, he calculated the speed based on the distance between the gear and mirror and back, 2*(distance from gear to mirror)/time.

If real time seeing were correct, Fizeau would have calculated the speed of light two times faster than the correct speed of light.
I am not disputing Fizeau's experiment. If this is the level of understanding, no wonder I feel like I'm talking to myself. :(
How can you "agree" with Fizeau's experiment and still conclude we see in real time? Tell me how my explanation is wrong.

Look at this diagram: Tell me what we see in real time and what we don't.

I don't even know what you're asking from this diagram. You'll have to do better than that.
In that diagram, the eye sees the light bulb reflected in the mirror.
Do we see:
- the light bulb in real time?
- the light bulb reflected off the glass plate in real time?
- the reflection of light bulb off the mirror in real time?
- nothing in real time?

Or, to make it more like Lessans' example, if we start with the light bulb off, then turn it on, when do we see the light bulb?
- instantly?
- after the light bulb reflects off the glass plate?
- after the light bulb reflects off the mirror?
- some other time that I can't figure out?
It's impossible to detect light before it arrives. That's like saying if the Sun was turned on and it took 8 minutes to reach Earth, we could detect the light before it arrives 8 minutes later. That's not what Lessans is saying.

Page generated in 0.17412 seconds with 11 queries