View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
People who aren't allowed to present as the gender they identify as
And how does one determine how to present as their gender?
In ways many of which vary culturally. But that the expression varies doesn't change anything.

Okay, let me try an analogy.

Someone claims that there is no such thing as love, it's just a societal construct, and as evidence points out that different languages use different words for this.

I argue that the fact that every culture seems to have a word for it suggests there's a thing.

Your argument here is that, since the word you use for it depends on your culture, if we simply didn't have a word for it the thing wouldn't exist and being unable to express it wouldn't be a problem.

That is not how it works.

It doesn't matter what specifically you use to express gender. It doesn't matter whether you express it by clothes or posture or language. What matters is that the vast majority of humans have an internal awareness of themselves as male or female that exists no matter what their body type is or how they are raised, and that it is vitally important to them that other people percieve them this way. How that perception is obtained can vary; that it must be obtained doesn't seem to.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Goliath (02-23-2012)

Page generated in 0.07237 seconds with 11 queries