View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
And how does one determine how to present as their gender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs
In ways many of which vary culturally. But that the expression varies doesn't change anything.
What does "changes anything" refer to?

Quote:
What matters is that the vast majority of humans have an internal awareness of themselves as male or female that exists no matter what their body type is or how they are raised, and that it is vitally important to them that other people percieve them this way.
If you want to be recognized or perceived as X or Y you have to learn to present yourself to society as X or Y. You have to possess or exhibit the traits and characteristics your culture categorizes as X or Y. You must conform to the cultural norms that say "X's or Y's are and do X, Y Z"

This is easier for some people then it is for others, but all people do this to some extent.

Quote:
Okay, let me try an analogy.

Someone claims that there is no such thing as love, it's just a societal construct, and as evidence points out that different languages use different words for this.
Um, that would work if anybody here was a gender denialist. You are reading something wrong somewhere.
Quote:
Your argument here is that, since the word you use for it depends on your culture, if we simply didn't have a word for it the thing wouldn't exist and being unable to express it wouldn't be a problem.
No, you have completely not understood anything I've said. That's not my argument at all.

I am not a gender denialist. I believe gender exists.

Page generated in 0.07881 seconds with 11 queries