View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: The war on big food.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot watch the video right now, so if I am misconstruing what happened based on the text, :dealwithit:

As much as I relish the idea of Bill Maher getting yelled at, and as much as I LOL at discovering he believes that stuff, there is hardly a case of equal full of shittedness.

Look at this terrifying headline about anti-vaccination propaganda:

Poll Reveals A Disturbing New Trend About Vaccine Opinions

Read a couple paragraphs down, and you'll see that 84% of Americans believe that vaccinations are 'extremely' or 'very' important. The disturbing trend is that more people have heard anti-vaccination arguments.

Now let's look at some polls on climate change:

https://environment.yale.edu/poe/v2014/

U.S. Concern About Global Warming at Eight-Year High

That eight year high, of people very or fairly concerned about global warming, is 64%.

Those are much worse numbers, and that is a much worse problem. Yes, there is a real tangible risk of outbreaks of near eradicated diseases due to low vaccination compliance, and some have already happened. People, including children, can and will die from those diseases. But that is a limited effect, and it's very likely reversible. Unlike global warming.

And I have never heard a convincing argument that GMO fearmongering would have any serious effect on anything that matters, so, I mean, LOL Bill Maher, it's a stupid belief, but I'm just not seeing it as a particularly dangerous one.

These things are all silly, but they're not by any means equally bad. And yeah, Bill Maher should probably shut the fuck up about that sort of thing. But like the Watser points out, a) he shouldn't call Bill Maher a liberal, and b) he shouldn't call liberals Bill Maher.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-10-2016), Dingfod (06-09-2016), Janet (06-09-2016), The Man (06-08-2016), Watser? (06-08-2016)

Page generated in 0.19666 seconds with 11 queries