Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 AM
(former) Chef/Assassin

Television Doctor Who?

I did a search and could find no thread on Doctor Who... if there has been one before and I somehow missed it, my apologies.

First off, I was recently introduced to the series while I was pregnant; I had a difficult pregnancy and my son continually disappeared mid-scan (they suddenly couldn't see him, or find a heart beat, and this sometimes lasted for an hour before they found him again). My best friend who was present at one of these scans said "you have a TARDIS for a womb and your son is a baby Time Lord."

Thus, my interest was born.

I just finished Season 3 (WTF, Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor?) and am about to start Season 4 thanks to YouTube. I am curious to know a few things: A) are there previous seasons - and by previous I mean prior to the ninth incarnation - that are worth watching? and B) do I really need to watch Kylie Minogue in "The Voyage of the Damned" because I hate Kylie Minogue and I can't find a complete recording of that episode on YouTube anyway.

Oh, and C) I'm looking for other Doctor Who fans to squee with, because David Tennant is the hottest thing under the sun since I don't know what - I even thought he was hot in the whole five minutes of Harry Potter IV that he did, and I didn't know who he was then, either :yup:.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Rosetta Stoned

Default Re: Doctor Who?

It is generally accepted by many Doctor Who fans that the Tom Baker years were the pinnacle of the series.

Personally, I love most of the doctors, I was just never crazy about the second doctor. He looked too much like Moe from the three stooges.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Admin

There's a couple Doctor Who threads actually, but you have to search for "Martha" or other characters by name because 'Doctor' and 'who' are too common.

I didn't like the show at first, but after being in the room while the roomie watched it a few million times it grew on me. I still have no concept of what season it is or when it airs though. I just watch the DVR'd episodes whenever the roomie watches them.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Who?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Admin

No, Who's on first.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
(former) Chef/Assassin

I'm seriously hooked. My mobile rings the season 4 theme song and when I get a text it's the sonic screwdriver sound!
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (11-15-2008), Demimonde (07-31-2012), mickthinks (09-09-2008), viscousmemories (09-12-2008)
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
No, Who's on first.
I don't know.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Coffin Creep

I grew up watching the original show on PBS. My favorite doctor would still be a tie between #3 Jon Pertwee and #4 Tom Baker. I do like #2 Patrick Troughton though.

The new show is good, but I still prefer the classic series. It probably has a lot to do with it being a part of my childhood. Plus, I preferred the 'asexual' doctor. :shrug:
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

I've never seen any Doctor Who. Should I? :chin:
Old 09-11-2008, 03:14 AM
(former) Chef/Assassin

Why yes. Yes you should.

I'm trying to think of the best one-off episode to tell you to watch and I can't come to a conclusion. "Blink" from season 3 is probably the best one-off, but it doesn't have a lot of The Doctor in it.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-11-2008)
Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Maybe I will check one out. I shouldn't start with season 1?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

"Blink" is truly an awesome episode.

I've watched half of the first season (1960s) and it was interesting. I can see how it became popular.

Beyond that, I'm pretty much a newcomer to the Who and can't pick out one, or a few, episodes that I would say are exemplary.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee are tied for my favorite doctor. Jo, who was on Pertwee's second season is probably my favorite companion, though I am awfully fond of Sarah Jane. I would say some of the Tom Baker years are the best, but not the latter ones. I gave up on Doctor Who the first time around during Tom Baker's last season. I put the blame squarely on the head of the then producer John Nathan Turner. I didn't like the direction he was taking the show at all, yet the BBC stuck with him until he finally managed to kill the show years later. I would still like to see something horrible happen to John Nathan Turner, but I'm not even sure if he's still alive.

If you want the best introduction to the new series, but want an episode with a fair amount of the Doctor, I would go with The Empty Child. Absolutely brilliant and chilling. The Girl in the Fireplace is also a good one, if you prefer to start with David Tennant. If you want to choose one story arc from the older seasons, as it was always multiple, half-hour episode stories back then, I recommend The Deadly Assassin. It is the only Tom Baker story without a companion and probably my favorite of all time.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I would still like to see something horrible happen to John Nathan Turner, but I'm not even sure if he's still alive.
Nope.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Liver failure's too good for him. In the late Eighties I found the BBC's fax number and was going to fax a demand for his execution. I really do despise him.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
DaveT (04-20-2011)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Liver failure is a pretty horrible way to go, with the acieties and all that.

Crumb if you are interested in the first season (new) whole series, you can borrow one of our two copies and watch it on DVD.
Crumb (09-11-2008)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

That would be cool. I don't know when I would be in that part of town though.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
If you want to choose one story arc from the older seasons, as it was always multiple, half-hour episode stories back then, I recommend The Deadly Assassin. It is the only Tom Baker story without a companion and probably my favorite of all time.
I haven't seen that since the Eighties.

Apparently it's only available on VHS. :\
Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I think it was. It was also the episode where you learn his real name, which they are making a big deal out of no one knowing in the new series. That strikes me as rather stupid.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
(former) Chef/Assassin

What IS his real name? I tried looking it up on Google but I got a lot of really garbled and stupid answers...most of which were "it's unpronounceable" and "it's just a long line of mathematical symbols which sound like the word 'Who'" and that isn't helpful to me.

YouTube just did a cleaning-house of all the full episodes that were listed there - even the ones broken up in parts - and so I am very sad. Luckily I have the last three episodes of Season 4 on DVD so I can at least see how it all ends.

It's weird; I just realised that all of the suggested episodes mentioned in this thread were the Stephen Moffat ones: Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child (parts 1 and 2), Blink... I also suggest Silence in the Library parts 1 and 2, also Moffat. I'm sure glad that he took over from Russell T. for the next season, although I was sad to hear that Tennant will be leaving at some point also. The idea of James Nesbitt taking over, though, is intriguing; I loved Moffat's "Jekyll" with him as the title character.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM

In Deadly Assassin he runs into an old school friend who calls him Theta Sigma, pronounced with a long e as the English do, Thete for short. Actually, as the actor has a strong Cockney accent, it sounds like Feeta Sigma. Someone on another site told me it was just his school nickname, but I don't know any source for that idea.

I had noticed that all the recommended episodes were Moffatt episodes, but it didn't surprise me at all. He has consistently done the best writing of the new series. I, too, am a huge fan of Jekyll. I bought it as soon as it came out and I have never done that with another show. As good as it is for Dr. Who that he is taking over, I was still hoping for a second series of Jekyll. I am sad to think it will never happen.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
FAT WOMAN EXTRODINAIRE

Awesome thread.
I have been a whovian fan for decades. There were actually a couple of conventions here in portland back in the day. I got peter davidsons autograph, sadly tom baker never came to stump town, I think at that point we was trying to distance himself from the series to get work.

i had a box of stale jelly babies for many years, but sadly a rodent invasion (read 1 mouse) partook in the stale candy and i chucked it.

I have watched the original series until the columbo looking guy took it over, the guy with the lisp annoys me so. I liked tom and peter and the colin baker curly headed guy. I really enjoyed the Teagan, Nyssa, & Adrick period of the Tom Baker episodes
Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 AM
(former) Chef/Assassin

Whelp, having cried my way through the season 4 finale, I can now officially say that I'm hooked. Torchwood is next on my list, as well as the Sarah Jane Adventures. I have connections with folks who will be getting me the Christmas special post-haste, so there is my holiday present all set to go, and that means I won't be left thinking of the series on such a sad note.

To the Moffat fans: I must say, Coupling is one of my all-time favourite sitcoms. If you haven't seen that, you simply must. It's...fantastic :D.

I am sad there won't be another Jekyll either. They left quite the cliff-hanger at the end of season 1. When you look at the DVD box, doesn't it say "season one" on it, thereby implying there will be a season 2?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Yes, it does. It also lists it as series one on IMDB, which got my hopes up. Between Who and the three TinTin movies he has signed on to write, I can't see Moffatt having much time for Jekyll, though.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
What IS his real name? I tried looking it up on Google but I got a lot of really garbled and stupid answers...most of which were "it's unpronounceable" and "it's just a long line of mathematical symbols which sound like the word 'Who'" and that isn't helpful to me.
As far as us, the viewers, are concerned he has no proper name other than The Doctor. In An Unearthly Child one of the soon-to-be companions implored him to do something and called him Doctor Foreman, to which he responded (in stage whisper) "Doctor who?" That and a smattering of the recent seasons of New-Who end my knowledge (such as it is) of who Doctor Who is.

Quote:
The idea of James Nesbitt taking over, though, is intriguing; I loved Moffat's "Jekyll" with him as the title character.
I didn't catch enough of Jeckyll when it was on BBCA. I've been wanting to get the series (lol season) but haven't yet. The three or so episodes I caught were intriguing. I think he'd be a great Doctor.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature