Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11501  
Old 09-26-2023, 11:24 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
A reader is not being held responsible in that sense. You’re mixing two different definitions of responsibility. For example, it is my responsibility to pick up the children from school. I am not being held responsible if I fail to live up to what is my responsibility. See the difference?
No.

But it doesn't matter, allow me to ask a modified question.

How can someone have a "burden of responsibility" "when a more satisfying option is available"?
They would have the burden of responsibility if that’s what they volunteered for. By shirking it they would be hurting those who depended on them as in the previous example. Just as in the world we are living, making a commitment to do something and then fail to deliver would cause most people to have a twinge of conscience. It would just be even stronger under the changed conditions knowing that nobody would blame them for this failure because they would know what they did was beyond their control. IOW, a more satisfying option (i.e. the option to walk away from what they know is their responsibility) would give them no satisfaction at all and therefore impossible to choose.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-26-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11502  
Old 09-26-2023, 01:17 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

I hope people disregard the jokes that ruined this thread. Think about it. If we could even prevent teen suicides as a result of the horrible things said on social media, wouldnít you want to prevent this? Itís a no brainer.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #11503  
Old 09-26-2023, 01:20 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

OK, peacegirl, work with me now, and we’ll get three succinct paragraphs that sum up the discovery nicely, with an addendum that for full details, please read the book. :yup:

I realize this is made a little harder as we will be workng off the Corrupted Text, rather than the Authentic Text, of which, as we all know, ChuckF is the True Steward. Still, I’d say the task is doable, even if somewhat Sisyphean in its rock-rolling monotony.

However, for the addendum, we should point to the Authentic Text for the relevant explication.

#TrueStewardship
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-26-2023)
  #11504  
Old 09-26-2023, 01:51 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
OK, peacegirl, work with me now, and we’ll get three succinct paragraphs that sum up the discovery nicely, with an addendum that for full details, please read the book. :yup:

I realize this is made a little harder as we will be workng off the Corrupted Text, rather than the Authentic Text, of which, as we all know, ChuckF is the True Steward. Still, I’d say the task is doable, even if somewhat Sisyphean in its rock-rolling monotony.

However, for the addendum, we should point to the Authentic Text for the relevant explication.

#TrueStewardship
I am giving you grace for your lack of understanding. It’s okay. You can move on without giving this thread another thought. You have my blessing. :)
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-26-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11505  
Old 09-26-2023, 04:24 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
OK, peacegirl, work with me now, and weíll get three succinct paragraphs that sum up the discovery nicely, with an addendum that for full details, please read the book. :yup:

I realize this is made a little harder as we will be workng off the Corrupted Text, rather than the Authentic Text, of which, as we all know, ChuckF is the True Steward. Still, Iíd say the task is doable, even if somewhat Sisyphean in its rock-rolling monotony.

However, for the addendum, we should point to the Authentic Text for the relevant explication.

#TrueStewardship
I am giving you grace for your lack of understanding. Itís okay. You can move on without giving this thread another thought. You have my blessing. :)
Iím going to produce the paragraphs anyway, and theyíll be absoolutely ďspot-onĒ correct, to borrow your own lingo ó indeed, my summary upthread was already correct ó and still you wonít agree that what I write is correct, because of the giant chip on your shoulder and also because youíve been corrupted by the Corrupted Text. But help is nigh, peacegirl ó I sugget you get in touch with ChuckF, the true steward of the Authentic Text, who will help you see the light.

#TrueStewardship
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-26-2023)
  #11506  
Old 09-26-2023, 04:25 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Incidentally, my aunt is still pissed at you for murdering her beloved Manchester terrier, Adolf. She expects some monetary recompense from you.
Reply With Quote
  #11507  
Old 09-26-2023, 04:36 PM
LarsMac's Avatar
LarsMac LarsMac is offline
Rambling Old Fart
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the Road again
Gender: Male
Posts: MMMCCXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Well, I reckon I've seen all I need to see here.
Y'all have a nice day.
__________________
ďNever argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē
― Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #11508  
Old 09-26-2023, 04:43 PM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
Flyover Hillbilly
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: MXDL
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm
She expects some monetary recompense from you.
Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP

Motto: "If we don't win your case, we'll eat a bug!"
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-27-2023)
  #11509  
Old 09-26-2023, 07:50 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

OK, peacegirl, I punched my summary up a bit. See what you think:

We are always moving in the direction of look, here comes a rabbi, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less juicy, juicy cunt. However, this also means no one can make us do what we don’t want to inverse square, because the light is at our eyes even before it gets there.

We often find greater satisfaction in giving a blow job if we are one of three categories of homos, or in juicy, juicy cunt if we are not. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any idiot nonsense babble about light. (We must do these things, because they give us more juicy, juicy cunt and look, here comes a rabbi.) But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow and instead all young people will go about scantily clad and get married for life to the first one they have sex with.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for juicy, juicy cunt, no one will want to strike rabbi, because striking a rabbi prevents him from being beaten in a debate by Seymour Lessans. This is because our conscience will not permit us to share a bed if we are married. Indeed, after the Great Transition, dogs will stop trying to recognize their masters by sight alone and environmental homos will stop giving blow jobs, since for them light is at their eyes even before it gets there. At this point world peace will reign.

Is that better?

Keep in mind that I’m actually trying to help you craft a succinct, two- or three-paragraph summary of the “discovery” that you can use in the future during your apparent campaign to post on every message board forum in existence. Of course, at all these boards, you always get the same question — “can you summarize the discovery?” — and you are never able to do it. Pease don’t protest that the “discovery” cannot be summarized, because of course it can. The main points of the most difficult stuff ever invented or discovered, like calculus or quantum mechanics, can be summarized. So you can work with me to craft a concise explanation of Lessans’ work, or I can go back to making fun of your posts as the mood strikes me. It’s your choice. :yup:
Reply With Quote
  #11510  
Old 09-26-2023, 08:31 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
OK, peacegirl, I punched my summary up a bit. See what you think:

We are always moving in the direction of look, here comes a rabbi, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less juicy, juicy cunt. However, this also means no one can make us do what we donít want to inverse square, because the light is at our eyes even before it gets there.

We often find greater satisfaction in giving a blow job if we are one of three categories of homos, or in juicy, juicy cunt if we are not. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any idiot nonsense babble about light. (We must do these things, because they give us more juicy, juicy cunt and look, here comes a rabbi.) But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow and instead all young people will go about scantily clad and get married for life to the first one they have sex with.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for juicy, juicy cunt, no one will want to strike rabbi, because striking a rabbi prevents him from being beaten in a debate by Seymour Lessans. This is because our conscience will not permit us to share a bed if we are married. Indeed, after the Great Transition, dogs will stop trying to recognize their masters by sight alone and environmental homos will stop giving blow jobs, since for them light is at their eyes even before it gets there. At this point world peace will reign.

Is that better?

Keep in mind that Iím actually trying to help you craft a succinct, two- or three-paragraph summary of the ďdiscoveryĒ that you can use in the future during your apparent campaign to post on every message board forum in existence. Of course, at all these boards, you always get the same question ó ďcan you summarize the discovery?Ē ó and you are never able to do it. Pease donít protest that the ďdiscoveryĒ cannot be summarized, because of course it can. The main points of the most difficult stuff ever invented or discovered, like calculus or quantum mechanics, can be summarized. So you can work with me to craft a concise explanation of Lessansí work, or I can go back to making fun of your posts as the mood strikes me. Itís your choice. :yup:
The people in this thread already made up their mind and they are compelled to mock me until this discovery is recognized. Then they'll STFU! This started because you didn't like his claim regarding the eyes. You've decided to now laugh at anything and everything he's written. The chapter on love was just an extension of the principles. He was showing that making a partner obligated can ruin the very thing they want, which is to keep the love they had when they first wed. He used humor to create a scenario where love went out the window and how the couple got it back. It served its purpose. I was trying to check something on my computer and linked to this forum. I saw that someone new couldn't make headway from this long thread so I came on to give him a link. I have no desire to hear the same boring insults and mockery all over again. Won't happen.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #11511  
Old 09-26-2023, 09:16 PM
specious_reasons's Avatar
specious_reasons specious_reasons is offline
here to bore you with pictures
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: VCLXXXII
Images: 8
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I have no desire to hear the same boring insults and mockery all over again. Won't happen.
That's a good attitude. I'd be happier for you if you don't engage the people who are causing you so much grief, including me.
__________________
ta-
DAVE!!!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-26-2023)
  #11512  
Old 09-26-2023, 10:43 PM
ChuckF's Avatar
ChuckF ChuckF is offline
liar in wolf's clothing
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frequently about
Posts: XXCDXXXIX
Images: 2
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The burden of responsibility is on the reader to meet the author half way.
What a vile and hateful corruption. peacegirl is simply engaging in advance blame of the reader.



peacegirl, we who interpret the Authentic Text reject your blame, and extend to you this magic elixir (call it what you will - corollary, slide rule, or basic principle - THOU SHALL NOT BLAME) and urge you transmute the baser metals of your blameful nature into the pure gold of the Golden Age.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-26-2023)
  #11513  
Old 09-27-2023, 09:17 AM
-FX-'s Avatar
-FX- -FX- is offline
Forum gadfly
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In your head
Gender: Male
Posts: MMLXXXVI
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The people in this thread already made up their mind and they are compelled to mock me until this discovery is recognized.
Not me. I tried reading the pdf file, but gave up after a few minutes. There was far too much Hubris to wade through.

If you, yes you, would just post the main idea, it would be a great help. If you can't do that, in this thread, right now, there is zero chance that I will ever know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I have no desire to hear the same boring insults and mockery all over again. Won't happen.
That's a different story. The usual suspects here are all about insults, and some sort of group mob behavior. It's disgusting, or comical, depending on your point of view.

Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true), I wouldn't put too much energy into their opinions. They are obviously either insane, trolling or delusional.




(pause)




See? Here is a succinct summary anyone can read ---> "Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true), I wouldn't put too much energy into their opinions. They are obviously either insane, trolling or delusional."

If you would post whatever revolution in thought you care about, in this thread, right now, it would give me a reason to read on.


If you do anything else, other than that, you are a waster of time. (which is not a bad thing, but if that is the case, you need to be funny)
__________________
"Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, "Is it reasonable?""

- Richard P. Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #11514  
Old 09-27-2023, 01:30 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true) Ö
Since I am pretty sure no one here believes this, you are stuffing straw and trolling, as usual.

As to your request of her to summarize the discovery, she has been unable to do so since 2011 on this forum, and long before that on other forums. I have summarized it for her, yet she rejects the summary. But I have read her fatherís book and my summary is absoloutely accurate. Here it is again:

We are always moving in the direction of what we perceive to be greater satisfaction, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less satisfaction. However, this also means no one can make us do what we donít want to do, because what we donít want to do is invariably what we find less satisfying.

We often find greater satisfaction in striking a first blow against someone, or in lashing out at someone who has hurt us. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any harm done us (we must do these things, because they give us greater satisfaction and we have no free will). But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow or lashing out in retaliation, because we know they canít help themselves.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for striking a first blow or for retaliating, no one will want to do those things, because striking a first blow or retaliating will provide less satisfaction than refraining from these activities. This is because our conscience will not permit us to strike a first blow or retaliate if we know in advance we will not be blamed or punished for doing so. Indeed, once people stop striking a first blow, retaliation will be superfluous anyway, since there will be nothing to retaliate against. At this point world peace will reign.
Reply With Quote
  #11515  
Old 09-27-2023, 02:32 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true) Ö
Since I am pretty sure no one here believes this, you are stuffing straw and trolling, as usual.

As to your request of her to summarize the discovery, she has been unable to do so since 2011 on this forum, and long before that on other forums. I have summarized it for her, yet she rejects the summary. But I have read her fatherís book and my summary is absoloutely accurate. Here it is again:

We are always moving in the direction of what we perceive to be greater satisfaction, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less satisfaction. However, this also means no one can make us do what we donít want to do, because what we donít want to do is invariably what we find less satisfying.

We often find greater satisfaction in striking a first blow against someone, or in lashing out at someone who has hurt us. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any harm done us (we must do these things, because they give us greater satisfaction and we have no free will). But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow or lashing out in retaliation, because we know they canít help themselves.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for striking a first blow or for retaliating, no one will want to do those things, because striking a first blow or retaliating will provide less satisfaction than refraining from these activities. This is because our conscience will not permit us to strike a first blow or retaliate if we know in advance we will not be blamed or punished for doing so. Indeed, once people stop striking a first blow, retaliation will be superfluous anyway, since there will be nothing to retaliate against. At this point world peace will reign.
Terrible summary. Stop misleading people David.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #11516  
Old 09-27-2023, 02:40 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

FX, this is for you and any guest who recognize trolls. I am not going to pursue a discussion here for obvious reasons. If anyone finds this discovery interesting, I hope you learn more. This has been a tough learning experience for me, but it taught me how cruel people can be when unleashed in an "anything goes" venue.

Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought eBook Sample - Decline and Fall of All Evil

https://www.declineandfallofallevil....-8-26-2019.pdf
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-27-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11517  
Old 09-27-2023, 03:54 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true) Ö
Since I am pretty sure no one here believes this, you are stuffing straw and trolling, as usual.

As to your request of her to summarize the discovery, she has been unable to do so since 2011 on this forum, and long before that on other forums. I have summarized it for her, yet she rejects the summary. But I have read her fatherís book and my summary is absoloutely accurate. Here it is again:

We are always moving in the direction of what we perceive to be greater satisfaction, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less satisfaction. However, this also means no one can make us do what we donít want to do, because what we donít want to do is invariably what we find less satisfying.

We often find greater satisfaction in striking a first blow against someone, or in lashing out at someone who has hurt us. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any harm done us (we must do these things, because they give us greater satisfaction and we have no free will). But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow or lashing out in retaliation, because we know they canít help themselves.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for striking a first blow or for retaliating, no one will want to do those things, because striking a first blow or retaliating will provide less satisfaction than refraining from these activities. This is because our conscience will not permit us to strike a first blow or retaliate if we know in advance we will not be blamed or punished for doing so. Indeed, once people stop striking a first blow, retaliation will be superfluous anyway, since there will be nothing to retaliate against. At this point world peace will reign.
Terrible summary. Stop misleading people David.
No, itís not terrible, and you know itís not. You even said earlier that parts of it were fine. Even YOU had to admit that. You just donít want me, or ANYONE, to nail the nut of the book, because then you canít play the great martyr possessing secret, mystical, hermetic knowledge that no one but you and Dad are smart enogh to understand. Your whole schtick is entirely self-defeating. Donít you think fX just noticed how you FAILED TO PROVIDE A SUMMARY FOR HIM? But I just did, and itís accurate, and yet you reject it because you canít help yourself. I guess youíre ďcompelled of your own free willĒ to move in the direction of greater satisfaction, which is to sabotage yourself.

If you were TRULY interested in putting forth this knowledge, you would accept my SINCERE invitation to work with me to cobble together a summary that you find to be correct, one that you can use in the future when people ask you the inevitable question, as FX just did: Can you summarize the main goddamn point of the work for me? You already upthread agreed that some parts of my my summary were fine. When you criticized the rest, you did so inaccurtately, as I pointed out in another post, to which you never directly responded. So woirk with ne, and letís get the language right.

Remember: YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS CONSTANTLY ASKING OTHERS TO SUMMARIZE THE MAIN POINT OF THE BOOK FOR YOU. How in hell can you ask others to do that, when you canít do it yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #11518  
Old 09-27-2023, 04:13 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Since the mob here also believes a man becomes a woman (by just declaring it to be true) …
Since I am pretty sure no one here believes this, you are stuffing straw and trolling, as usual.

As to your request of her to summarize the discovery, she has been unable to do so since 2011 on this forum, and long before that on other forums. I have summarized it for her, yet she rejects the summary. But I have read her father’s book and my summary is absoloutely accurate. Here it is again:

We are always moving in the direction of what we perceive to be greater satisfaction, hence we have no free will, because we are not free to choose the course of less satisfaction. However, this also means no one can make us do what we don’t want to do, because what we don’t want to do is invariably what we find less satisfying.

We often find greater satisfaction in striking a first blow against someone, or in lashing out at someone who has hurt us. Hence, we must strike a first blow or lash out in retaliation for any harm done us (we must do these things, because they give us greater satisfaction and we have no free will). But, once it is recognized we have no free will, we will stop blaming and punishing people for striking a first blow or lashing out in retaliation, because we know they can’t help themselves.

Once it is universally understood that no one will be blamed or punished for striking a first blow or for retaliating, no one will want to do those things, because striking a first blow or retaliating will provide less satisfaction than refraining from these activities. This is because our conscience will not permit us to strike a first blow or retaliate if we know in advance we will not be blamed or punished for doing so. Indeed, once people stop striking a first blow, retaliation will be superfluous anyway, since there will be nothing to retaliate against. At this point world peace will reign.
Terrible summary. Stop misleading people David.
No, it’s not terrible, and you know it’s not. You even said earlier that parts of it were fine. Even YOU had to admit that. You just don’t want me, or ANYONE, to nail the nut of the book, because then you can’t play the great martyr possessing secret, mystical, hermetic knowledge that no one but you and Dad are smart enogh to understand. Your whole schtick is entirely self-defeating. Don’t you think fX just noticed how you FAILED TO PROVIDE A SUMMARY FOR HIM? But I just did, and it’s accurate, and yet you reject it because you can’t help yourself. I guess you’re “compelled of your own free will” to move in the direction of greater satisfaction, which is to sabotage yourself.

If you were TRULY interested in putting forth this knowledge, you would accept my SINCERE invitation to work with me to cobble together a summary that you find to be correct, one that you can use in the future when people ask you the inevitable question, as FX just did: Can you summarize the main goddamn point of the work for me? You already upthread agreed that some parts of my my summary were fine. When you criticized the rest, you did so inaccurtately, as I pointed out in another post, to which you never directly responded. So woirk with ne, and let’s get the language right.

Remember: YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS CONSTANTLY ASKING OTHERS TO SUMMARIZE THE MAIN POINT OF THE BOOK FOR YOU. How in hell can you ask others to do that, when you can’t do it yourself?
Stop with your poor me. I don't believe you are honest in your desire to understand this knowledge. You didn't like his claims since day one, so you created lulz at my expense. Yes, I am compelled, of my own free will (this is not a contradiction unbeknownst to you), to move in the direction of greater satisfaction, not to give anymore of my precious time to the trolls in this thread. No one, not even Einstein himself, could deal with you people.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #11519  
Old 09-27-2023, 05:12 PM
-FX-'s Avatar
-FX- -FX- is offline
Forum gadfly
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In your head
Gender: Male
Posts: MMLXXXVI
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
FX, this is for you and any guest who recognize trolls. I am not going to pursue a discussion here for obvious reasons. If anyone finds this discovery interesting, I hope you learn more.
If you can't be bothered to post it, then you are just a waste of time. I don't care if you copy and paste it, that you simply won't put what you think is so important in your post, that's enough to simply move forward, and never think about it again.

I'm not mocking or rejecting anything, because you literally put nothing in your post. There is nothing there.
__________________
"Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, "Is it reasonable?""

- Richard P. Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #11520  
Old 09-27-2023, 05:36 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl

Stop with your poor me. I don't believe you are honest in your desire to understand this knowledge. You didn't like his claims since day one, so you created lulz at my expense. Yes, I am compelled, of my own free will (this is not a contradiction unbeknownst to you), to move in the direction of greater satisfaction, not to give anymore of my precious time to the trolls in this thread. No one, not even Einstein himself, could deal with you people.
LOL, what ďpoor me,Ē you idiot? I am trying to help you because it amuses me to see that I can do, what you cannot: Explain your fatherís work! I know EXACTLY what Lessans means by his ďcompelled of my own free will,Ē even though itís an idiotic choice of words. He means just what I said he means, that we are compelled always to move in the direction of greter satisfasction, but the flip side of this is that no one can make us do, what we donít want to do, because what we donít want to do is less satsfiying. Of course thatís it, and you know it!
Reply With Quote
  #11521  
Old 09-27-2023, 05:45 PM
Sock Puppet's Avatar
Sock Puppet Sock Puppet is offline
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: so far out, I'm too far in
Gender: Bender
Posts: XMVDCCCXXX
Blog Entries: 7
Images: 120
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Perhaps a haiku?

We blame and strike blows,
Compelled, though we could stop, and
Trust our eyes too much.
__________________
"Her eyes in certain light were violet, and all her teeth were even. That's a rare, fair feature: even teeth. She smiled to excess, but she chewed with real distinction." - Eleanor of Aquitaine

:sockpuppet:...........
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-28-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-27-2023)
  #11522  
Old 09-27-2023, 05:57 PM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
Flyover Hillbilly
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: MXDL
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Needs moar dogs, but a damned fine effort!
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (09-27-2023)
  #11523  
Old 09-27-2023, 06:27 PM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
Flyover Hillbilly
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: MXDL
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Not me. I tried reading the pdf file, but gave up after a few minutes. There was far too much Hubris to wade through.

If you, yes you, would just post the main idea, it would be a great help. If you can't do that, in this thread, right now, there is zero chance that I will ever know what it is.
-FX- makes a damned fine point here, peacegirl. This is an issue you've had since at least 2002 when you were posting at that old Graveyard of the Gods forum. You've had the same issue everywhere you've posted from those days to these. And yet, so far as I can tell, you've never even acknowledged the issue, much less attempted to remedy it.

It's long past time that you asked yourself, what is the common factor in all the many message board experiences you have had during your lengthy online sojourn to bring your compilation of Seymour's books to light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I have no desire to hear the same boring insults and mockery all over again. Won't happen.
That's good, and you're quite right. There's no "headway" to be made here. Per the unconscious playbook you've apparently always followed, you started pissing in the proverbial punchbowl as soon as you arrived here. The results were, well, identical to every other location at which you followed the unconscious playbook. Why you kept coming back for more - here and elsewhere - remains a mystery to me. A mere martyrdom complex and/or psychological need to be on the business end of verbal abuse simply doesn't cut it explanation-wise in your case.

Well, no matter, really. You're not staying, so we won't have Dick Nixon peacegirl to kick around anymore.

And yet . . .
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Reply With Quote
  #11524  
Old 09-27-2023, 06:30 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXIX
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Dogs canít recognize
Masters by sight, but photons
Are faster than light.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-28-2023), Sock Puppet (09-27-2023), Spacemonkey (11-14-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-27-2023)
  #11525  
Old 09-27-2023, 06:56 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
FX, this is for you and any guest who recognize trolls. I am not going to pursue a discussion here for obvious reasons. If anyone finds this discovery interesting, I hope you learn more.
If you can't be bothered to post it, then you are just a waste of time. I don't care if you copy and paste it, that you simply won't put what you think is so important in your post, that's enough to simply move forward, and never think about it again.

I'm not mocking or rejecting anything, because you literally put nothing in your post. There is nothing there.
FX, I made the right decision. As soon as you showed a disinterest, Chuck and Maturin come in for the kill. I gave you the link to the audio and the 3 chapters of Beyond the Framework of Modern Thought. That should be enough to get a feel of what this is about. The discovery lies behind the door marked manís will is not free. Davidís synopsis made it seem that if we stop blaming, we will suddenly have world peace. Do you see how dumb that sounds? I donít know if he wrote that as a joke but I wouldnít put it past him. That is not how world peace will be achieved without major changes to the economic system.
__________________
https://www.declineandfallofallevil....3-CHAPTERS.pdf

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/


"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.42364 seconds with 14 queries