Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Admin

Default What are your values?

I saw a LinkedIn profile the other day (and many before and since) in which the person said they were looking for a company whose values are aligned with their own. I'm sure most of us have thought that at one time or another, but that got me thinking "what are my values?"

I'm not sure these are even "values" per se, but when I think about what qualities I admire in other humans, I come up with this list:

1. Honesty
2. Empathy
3. Compassion
4. Generosity
5. Curiosity
6. Cooperation
7. Sincerity

This seems so trite, though. Like I can't imagine anyone saying they don't value those traits, or any company admitting they don't prioritize those things in their business practices or look for those qualities in potential hires. That makes me think maybe people mean something else when they say they are looking for a company where their values align.

Also, I know that the top priority for all businesses is making money, and that is not my top priority, so if by 'values' one means 'priorities', it's definitionally impossible for my values to align fully with any company.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-20-2024), ceptimus (01-20-2024), slimshady2357 (01-20-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-22-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy