Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Solipsist

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

US’s Netflix to be forced to broadcast Putin propaganda – POLITICO
Quote:
On March 1, Netflix will fall under a series of new obligations in Russia after it was added to a register of “audiovisual services” overseen by the country’s communications regulator, Roskomnadzor, last year.

... Channel One, NTV and a channel run by the Russian Orthodox Church, Spas, according to the Moscow Times.

Russia’s Channel One in particular is closely linked to the Kremlin, with a miscellany of some of Putin’s most intimate political allies on the board of the station set to be broadcast across Netflix screens.
Cue social media backlash ...

Netflix Defies Russian Authorities, Won't Carry Putin Propaganda - TheStreet

A turnaround!

Just as an aside
Quote:
In November last year, the Russian interior ministry confirmed that it would examine a complaint leveled by Olga Baranets, the public commissioner for protecting families, regarding the dissemination of “gay propaganda” on Netflix.

If found to be in breach of Russia’s draconian laws against the dissemination of “non-traditional sexual relations,” the company may face fines or a possible suspension of its service.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-02-2022), Ensign Steve (03-01-2022), lisarea (03-01-2022), Sock Puppet (03-01-2022), viscousmemories (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 04:48 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
All of Us Are Dead

It's K-drama plus zombies. I don't know from K-dramas but for a zombie show it's exactly what you want. The effects and the zombie movements and sounds are soooooo squicky.

:zombie:
I’ve long loved zombie movies and tv.

Good zombie media is imo never really about the zombies, it’s about what it means to be human when everything breaks down and facing that fundamental existential angst that is fundamental for living things.

All of Us Are Dead does a great job of exploring those things imo.

It has 28 days later style zombies.

As a bonus the subtitles actually match the dubbing which has almost never been the case for Netflix shows.
Ensign Steve (03-01-2022), Sock Puppet (03-01-2022), viscousmemories (04-21-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:07 PM
Admin

I legitimately toyed with the idea of writing 28 Months Later my damn self since a couple weeks ago because it doesn't look like anyone will ever make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
it’s about what it means to be human
I liked Warm Bodies for that.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-30-2022), Ensign Steve (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Also, if you watch All Of Us Are Dead with captioning (as you should, keep the soundtrack in Korean for fuck's sake), it will helpfully tell you when [squelching] is going on.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-30-2022), Ensign Steve (03-01-2022), JoeP (03-01-2022), viscousmemories (03-01-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:50 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
We binged our way through Russian Doll the last 2 days. It stars Natasha Lyonne (of Orange is the New Black fame) as a hard partying video game programmer. She's got some issues to work through and is having a very, very strange night.

Probably the less you know going in the better. It's damn good and really gets going by the 3rd episode or so. Both Sou and I really liked it.

Watch it.
We were browsing Netflix last night and there is a second season of Russian Doll now available.

We watched 2 episodes last night and I'm sufficiently hooked. I wouldn't say it's grabbed me as hard as season 1, but I think I could watch Natasha Lyonne in just about anything and be hooked.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:09 PM
Admin

I noticed that too and I'm excited about it. I loved season 1. I've been re-watching Stranger Things even though I didn't love seasons 2-3 because I do plan to watch season 4 and I didn't remember much from the earlier seasons. Except that I didn't love them. I remembered that apparently.

I completely forgot about the previous posts re: All Of Us Are Dead and 'found' it entirely on my own, watched it, and loved it. Looking forward to a season 2 if there is one.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-22-2022), Ensign Steve (04-21-2022), slimshady2357 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 01:33 AM
mesospheric bore

Three quarters through Russian Doll season 2 and loving it.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-22-2022), Ensign Steve (04-22-2022), slimshady2357 (04-22-2022), viscousmemories (03-18-2023)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:21 AM
mesospheric bore

I enjoyed Stranger Things season 4a. Not without some flaws, but enjoyable. Really leaning into the horror stuff. And I quite like the extended format, although I expect not everyone is keen on each episode being practically feature length.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-03-2022), Crumb (06-04-2022), viscousmemories (03-18-2023)
Old 06-03-2022, 04:08 AM
mesospheric bore

Oh and

Thanks, from:
viscousmemories (03-18-2023)
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 PM

Has anyone else watched Uncoupled with Neil Patrick Harris?

We flew through the 8 half hour episodes in a day. It's good, it's funny, I'd recommend it. Especially if you like NPH (doesn't every one?). Tisha Campbell is really good in it too. Pretty much everyone is good actually.

It's not going to blow your socks off, but it was easy to watch 8 in row, so we were obviously enjoying it.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:57 AM
California Sober

Yes, we watched it over the course of maybe 2 evenings and when it ended I was like "wait! what happens next?" :freakout:

I especially enjoyed it as a person of a certain age. :lol:
Old 08-10-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Yes, we watched it over the course of maybe 2 evenings and when it ended I was like "wait! what happens next?" :freakout:
:unnod: that was cruel!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:25 PM

I'm back again already.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of The Sandman and I'm well and truly hooked. I was not familiar with the comics, but I'll be reading them for sure after I finish watching the show.

Tom Sturridge plays the lead and it took me a couple episodes to warm to his delivery, but I love it now. It was a mild shock to see Constantine as a woman, but Jenna Coleman does a good job of it.

Anyway, I went in knowing nothing about the comics or anything more than the most basic synopsis of the show and I'm loving it.

I'm usually up for anything Patton Oswalt is in and this doesn't disappoint.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:36 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I just have 2 episodes to go, and wow - It doesn't follow the books slavishly, although pretty closely, and the look is much more faithful to the source material than any other based-on-a-graphic-novel film I've seen. I knew Gaiman was directly involved, but it becomes apparent from the start that he had full creative control, and damned well used it.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-10-2022), slimshady2357 (08-11-2022), Stormlight (08-22-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:57 PM
mesospheric bore

Yeah, I've largely enjoyed the Sandman series. The things that don't work so well for me were present in the comic too. Both hit their stride at the same point (24) by really spending time with characters.

Also...
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (08-11-2022), Stormlight (08-22-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Admin

I binged the first season of the new Resident Evil series a couple days ago. It's entertaining but way less suspenseful than the games.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:28 PM
California Sober

In the true spirit of the thread title, we watched RRR several weeks ago, before anybody was talking about it (2 billion people on the subcontinent notwithstanding), when it was #2 on Netflix.

It is so good. Can't recommend enough. Three hours is a long time for me to sit down and commit to a movie, but this one just flies.
lisarea (08-20-2022), slimshady2357 (08-21-2022), Stormlight (08-22-2022), viscousmemories (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 01:40 PM
Admin

My sister watched it the other night and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen it, but I saw a thread on Twitter in which the OP claimed it was essentially a whitewashing of a revolutionary character but then a bunch of the respondents on the thread dismissed the accusation, so as happens too often these days I was left knowing as little as I knew from the start.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-22-2022), Ensign Steve (08-22-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 01:05 AM
mesospheric bore

So there's a new Flanagan show called The Midnight Club and I'm really enjoying it.

Mild spoilers for the premise I guess
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), BrotherMan (10-16-2022), Ensign Steve (10-17-2022), Sock Puppet (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 06:10 PM
California Sober

I really liked The Midnight Club, too. :thumbup:

I've been obsessed with Mike Flannigan since The Haunting of Hill House, so I could not wait to binge the new show this weekend. (We also watched Hush after we finished, because we hadn't seen it before.)
beyelzu (11-03-2022), BrotherMan (10-18-2022), fragment (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:47 AM
mesospheric bore

I've learned since finishing that it's based on the works of Christopher Pike (no relation to the captain), who I've never heard of before. Apparently he writes YA horror/spooky stuff.

Also Flanagan wants to make a second season.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-03-2022), Ensign Steve (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 06:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh well. I guess I should push that up on my list.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:32 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I’m watching Inside Man, it’s a fun miniseries with 4 episodes.

It’s about ordinary people who turn to murder.

Stanley Tucci is a death row Sherlock Holmes who is guilty and knows that he deserves to die.

David Tennant and Dolly Wells turn in quality performances as well.

I didn’t know who Dolly Wells was though she looked familiar. She has a long mostly British filmography.

I really liked the show, the only thing that would have improved it would have been using Johnny Cash’s God’s Gonna Cut you down.

BrotherMan (11-03-2022), Crumb (11-03-2022), fragment (11-03-2022), JoeP (11-23-2022), SharonDee (11-04-2022), slimshady2357 (11-03-2022), Sock Puppet (11-03-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022), viscousmemories (11-04-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Solipsist

Ancient Apocalypse is the most dangerous show on Netflix | Television | The Guardian

Conspiracy nutjob Graham Hancock.

Quote:
the show closely resembles the sort of half-baked filler documentary that one of the lesser Discovery channels would slap up at 3am between shows about plane crashes and fascist architecture. Ancient Apocalypse obviously has an audience, but who on Earth is it?

Fortunately, you don’t have to watch for long to find out. In quick succession, during the pre-show sizzle reel, we are treated to clips of the show’s host Graham Hancock being interviewed by Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan. Finally, we have an answer: Ancient Apocalypse must be a TV programme made exclusively for people who like to shout at you on Twitter.
Quote:
I once got trapped at a party with a Flat Earther. It was a very similar experience to watching this.
... We should get him onto :ff: to "interview" disobey and FX and GCB. (j/k not)

Quote:
But, hey, not all conspiracy theories are bad. If you don’t like Hancock’s story about the super-intelligent advanced civilisation being wiped off the face of the planet, here’s another that might explain how Netflix gave the greenlight to Ancient Apocalypse: the platform’s senior manager of unscripted originals happens to be Hancock’s son. Honestly, what are the chances?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-23-2022), beyelzu (11-24-2022), BrotherMan (11-23-2022), Crumb (11-23-2022), Ensign Steve (11-24-2022), fragment (11-23-2022), lisarea (11-27-2022), Sock Puppet (11-23-2022), specious_reasons (11-23-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 05:42 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I’ll give everyone one guess and one guess only as to the color or origin of the ancient civilization this white man alleges all brown people freeloaded from.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-23-2022), BrotherMan (11-24-2022), fragment (11-23-2022), JoeP (11-23-2022), lisarea (11-27-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature