Old 11-27-2020, 10:57 PM
Admin

Default Economics

Here is a thread for general discussion of economics.

I've been learning a bit about economics lately as part of my immersion into politics (see my caveat) so I thought I'd start a thread for the topic.

Some of the economists or economist adjacent people I've been reading/listening to the most are Richard D. Wolff, Yanis Varoufakis, Mark Fisher, David Graeber, and Leo Panitch. I think most or all of them would say they embrace a Marxist analysis of economics.

Anyway I will start with How the Biden Administration Can Free Americans from Student Debt, by Astra Taylor.

The above is a compelling argument for the Biden admin to pursue radical debt relief at least as substantial as one that he has hinted at (a means-tested cancellation of 10k minimum) but preferably a lot more.

Quote:
Biden will be taking office amid a daunting public-health and economic crisis; a loudening chorus of experts and elected officials believe that a more ambitious approach to debt relief is needed to stem the suffering.
Thanks, from:
Ari (12-17-2020), JoeP (11-27-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-27-2020), Kyuss Apollo (11-30-2020), lisarea (11-28-2020), vremya (11-28-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:55 PM
pedestrian

Default Re: Economics

I honestly don't think any little fixes will work, post-pandemic. But that's all they'll be able to accomplish.
Too many people are devoted to the capitalist system as they've come to experience is (not the same knowing or understanding), religiously convinced that prosperity is a product of growth; that there is no viable alternative to the boom-and-bust cycles of the stock exchange.
They're open to receiving more help, little perks - but not systemic change.
Even Elizabeth May, who was then our Green Party leader, had the best economic plan and was the most plain-spoken politician in the Canadian election, when asked "What do we need to give up?" answered "Nothing." Completely missed the opportunity to say "Waste."
We have to give up the wastefulness of capitalism, if we want any chance at survival. It's already a long-shot anyway. I believe we can't make the necessary changes until the current system breaks down under its own unsreason.

Here is an author with whom you might not be familiar: Hazel Henderson
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...native_Futures
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...thical_Markets
On the lighter side, I very much enjoyed JK Galbraith's novel A Tenured Professor, whose economics books,, incidentally, are still relevant.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-09-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-09-2020), lisarea (12-09-2020), slimshady2357 (12-09-2020), viscousmemories (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 02:03 AM
Admin

Default Re: Economics

Thanks Oxy, you're right I wasn't familiar with Hazel Henderson. I'll check out those books. This panel discussion was interesting.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-09-2020)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law