Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2022, 01:54 PM
Admin

Default Where do you bank?

There is a lot of discussion about the evils of banking in general on this here :ff: but I can't find (in an admittedly cursory search) anything about socially responsible personal banking choices. Probably this is a regional thing, so suck it if you're not in the US.

I've been using Wells Fargo for my checking and savings since I started working at Dell (~2006) because they had a branch in the building. I'm not unfamiliar with how evil Wells Fargo is but I've never considered my paltry sums to make much of a difference. Now that I'm rich (ok just kidding, still living pretty much check to check if I'm honest) I'd like to move to a better bank.

I opened an account with Alliant Credit Union out of Illinois a number of years back because they claimed to serve the low-income community in this region, but over time I drifted away from it and on researching now it seems like it's not that amazing of a place anyway.

I've found some useful information and search engines such as Beneficial State and greenamerica.org and mightydeposits.com but the end result is just too many choices, so I'm stuck again.

I would like a bank/cu that offers full online services, checking and savings (rates aren't that important to me), cares about the environment, and serves low-income communities. I've found a few possible choices but I'm more interested in how y'all approach this, to the extent that it's an issue you invest in yourself (see what I did there?).
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-12-2022), slimshady2357 (01-12-2022)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle