Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-05-2021, 08:01 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

I rewatched MST3K season 12 finale "Ator, the Fighting Eagle." This is the first of the "Ator" series, and one of the sequels ("The Cave Dwellers" aka "Ator, The Blade Master") was a Joel MST3K episode. "Cave Dwellers" is a stupider, crazier movie, and the MST3K episode is just overall funnier. "How much Keefe is in this movie? Miles O'Keefe."

Just because the original series was better doesn't mean this was bad. I have a soft spot for the first Ator movie because I first saw it as a teen on late night television. I was stunned about how strange and compellingly incompetent it was. The MST3K episode was quite entertaining, too. I laughed and enjoyed myself. The Netflix era of MST3K ended on a high note.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-10-2021), Ensign Steve (06-08-2021), Sock Puppet (06-08-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 PM

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

So, this inspired me to rewatch "Cave Dwellers" - not on Netflix. Still really stupid and funny. One thing I forgot that didn't age well: Bad Chinese accents when joking about Thong, Ator's Asian sidekick.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Crafty Agitator

Downton Abbey is on Amazon Prime now (or is it Netflix?) and I watched the first episode, which I hadn't seen before. I started watching waaaaaaay later in the series, and by that time most of the nasty people in the early episodes had been fired, killed off, or had redeemed themselves. Nope. Gonna pass.
Ensign Steve (06-08-2021), Stormlight (07-30-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miisa View Post
I just finished watching Lucifer, which I adore. Both supernatural stuff and police procedural, so all wheelhouse for me.
Oh, that karaoke episode was great! Also, The Squirrel Nut Zippers' "Hell" is gonna be on a loop in my brain for a while.

Quote:
I feel unreasonably sad it is over.
I'm on pins and needles for the next season. Addiction: I has it.
Miisa (06-08-2021), Stormlight (07-30-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM
NPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I feel unreasonably sad it is over.
Wait, I thought this was billed as the last season?
Old 06-09-2021, 12:40 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

You young hepcats have probably already seen it, but Bo Burnham's new special is really well done. It starts out a bit disjointed and silly, but it coalesces, or spirals maybe, in the last 2/3 or so.

It's very heavy on depression and suicidal ideation, so it's not for everyone.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-18-2021), Ensign Steve (06-09-2021), fragment (06-22-2021), Sock Puppet (06-09-2021), Stormlight (07-30-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023), wei yau (06-14-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was the last season too, which is why I was angry if that last episode was the last episode. But when Daughter told me there was another season coming I forgave them their sins and settled in to wait.

I also checked at IMDb and it seems to corroborate her story.
Miisa (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:20 PM
NPC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was the last season too, which is why I was angry if that last episode was the last episode. But when Daughter told me there was another season coming I forgave them their sins and settled in to wait.

I also checked at IMDb and it seems to corroborate her story.
Great news!
Though I kind of thought it was a perfect ending after season 5?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 PM

1. I was not happy about the Dan sitch.
  2. Love Lucifer but don't love his new status.
  3. I just felt there could be more story.
beyelzu (06-18-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I am enjoying Tig Nataro's series One Mississippi. It is on Amazon not Netflix.
beyelzu (06-18-2021), Ensign Steve (06-18-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:54 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
You young hepcats have probably already seen it, but Bo Burnham's new special is really well done. It starts out a bit disjointed and silly, but it coalesces, or spirals maybe, in the last 2/3 or so.

It's very heavy on depression and suicidal ideation, so it's not for everyone.
I am about halfway through it, I don't know what it is about it that I have to watch it in small doses over a couple of days. I think part of it is the singing. I mean I like musicals and all, but for this I can only take like 1 or 2 songs before I find myself turning to something else.

There's something about it that makes me feel unsettled.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:04 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
There's something about it that makes me feel unsettled.
Yeah, that ramps up quite a bit, and the pretense of 'comedy' falls away almost entirely as it goes on. It almost turns into like an existential horror, complete with an unsettling David Lynch style background hum in parts.

I like it more the longer I set with it.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (06-16-2021), Sock Puppet (06-18-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023), wei yau (06-15-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:42 AM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I like it more the longer I set with it.
Welp. Having finished it, I have to agree with you.

Existential horror is the perfect way of describing this....thing. I sat there staring at the credits and the Netflix suggestions for what to watch next and could only perceive an empty void. This bottomless hole that I wouldn't want to throw myself into, but I don't think I'd stop myself from falling.

I'm going to have set with this a bit longer, too.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:43 AM
California Sober

I triple-second the watching of the Bo Burnham special. However, it is very much my speed and I am very much fucked in the head, so maybe not for everybody? But yeah, definitely for a lot of people here. :fflove:

beyelzu (06-18-2021), lisarea (06-18-2021), Sock Puppet (06-18-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023), wei yau (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:37 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
I have been watching The Sinner, as I caught an episode of season 3 on TV which sparked my interest and then discovered Netflix had season 1-3 (here anyway). It is a US show, I suspect, but has a very Nordic Noir feel to it. Crime drama where you get it from the perspective of both the killer and the detective and it tries to analyze why someone might kill.

I loved the 1st two seasons. The show is a fun take on how done it or why done it whereas most detective stories are who done its

I loved the first two seasons, and haven’t finished season three. It just hasn’t grabbed me.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I triple-second the watching of the Bo Burnham special. However, it is very much my speed and I am very much fucked in the head, so maybe not for everybody? But yeah, definitely for a lot of people here. :fflove:

Ensign Steve (06-18-2021), lisarea (06-18-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023), wei yau (06-18-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:21 AM

This is an updated Heman by Kevin Smith. I am watching it now after I found out he pissed off the dudebros.
Ari (07-27-2021), fragment (07-27-2021), slimshady2357 (07-27-2021), Sock Puppet (07-27-2021), specious_reasons (07-27-2021), Stormlight (12-21-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 1 | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTube

This is an updated Heman by Kevin Smith. I am watching it now after I found out he pissed off the dudebros.

Plus, it has Mark Hamill doing the voice of Skeletor.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2021), slimshady2357 (07-27-2021), Sock Puppet (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:29 AM
mesospheric bore

Related, I recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed the She-Ra reboot (which is an entirely different continuity to the new MotU due to IP or something). It also pissed off the Dudebros.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2021), slimshady2357 (07-27-2021), Sock Puppet (07-27-2021), Stormlight (10-08-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:42 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The Princesses of Power got them mad, and apparently the Masters of the Universe continues the grand tradition of keeping them mad.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2021), slimshady2357 (07-27-2021), Sock Puppet (07-27-2021), Stormlight (10-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 11:16 PM
California Sober

Is anyone watching Squid Game? I started it, but I bailed fairly early because I didn't find the protagonist very sympathetic (which, I don't think I was supposed to, but still...).

But now all the memes are from this shit, and I'm like I want to understand the memes and anyway the visuals make the show seem really compelling.

So I might give it another chance.
slimshady2357 (10-07-2021), viscousmemories (01-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:26 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

The Li'l Puppet (now 18, holy shit) binged the whole show, then watched it with me & Mrs. Puppet so she could watch our reactions. It's compelling stuff, and the protagonist gets less annoying and more sympathetic as it goes along, and other sharp characterizations develop as well.

Apparently the main concept and script draft were created back in 2009 (2007?), but nobody would touch it due to the brutality. Now, with stuff like Game of Thrones going mainstream, that seems a bit quaint.

Anyway, lots of twists and turns, and some really poignant explorations of human nature and personal morality. I recommend for anyone who doesn't have issues with gore, senseless killing, and/or suicide.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-07-2021), beyelzu (10-07-2021), Ensign Steve (10-07-2021), JoeP (10-07-2021), lisarea (10-07-2021), slimshady2357 (10-07-2021), Stormlight (10-08-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023)
Old 10-07-2021, 07:43 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

I keep seeing it mentioned everywhere and was coming here this morning to ask about it.

I guess I'll give it a try.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:18 PM
California Sober

We started Squid Game again. It turns out the first time I had only made it about 20 minutes in, so I must have been really tired or something.

On actually watching it, this show is awesome, obviously. We watched 4 episodes the first night and 3 last night, so we have 2 to go. :excited:

And I understand all the memes! :yes!:
Miisa (10-12-2021), slimshady2357 (10-12-2021), Sock Puppet (10-12-2021), viscousmemories (03-18-2023)
Old 11-01-2021, 08:45 PM
California Sober

Who else is into these Mike Flanagan shows that keep coming out? As in "The Haunting of Hill House", "The Haunting of Bly Manor", and "Midnight Mass"? They are these limited series, like 7 - 10 episodes each, that get dropped in bingeable chunks on Netflix, and they are scary as hell! The first one is loosely based on the Shirley Jackson book of the same name, the second is inspired by Turn of the Screw, and the third is an original creation. Apparently there's a fourth one in post-production right now, so YAY!

It's a lot of the same actors in each series, but they change so much with their accents* and personalities and such that I barely even recognize them. For example, I saw all of Hill House and all of Bly Manor before I ever noticed that literally the main protagonist girl in both is played by the same actor. It's obvious in retrospect, but at the time I was completely fooled. It wasn't just that they dyed her hair blonde either, but literally how do you make your chin weaker just by acting? And I thought I sort of recognized that the guy who is the father in the first one and the uncle in the second one is again the father in the third one. I think it was a combination of the actor gaining weight, possibly some prosthetics on the face, and good old-fashioned acting that made me doubt it enough I had to look it up. (*It is the case that they are mostly American, and the British accents they try to do in Bly Manor are super not great, but what are you going to do.)

There are a lot of jump-scares, which I'm usually pretty ugh on, as it's a fuckin cheap trick, but somehow in this show it feels earned. They do this thing where they build up the tension, so you feel like maybe a scare is going to happen, and you're peeking through your fingers and crawling your feet up into your chair, but then it doesn't happen, and the scene and the mood kind of calms down again, and you relax and then BOOM! JUMP SCARE MOTHERFUCKER! They got me good in the first two series, but then by the third series I had learned the formula, so I would be like "they're going to do a scare now, and it's still going to scare me even though I am expecting it" and I would be right! Plus the scare is always actually a real monster/ghost/whatever, it's not just Ridley Scott throwing the cat at you from a closet and telling you you love it.

Anyway, totally fun set of series. Would recommend. :thumbup:

Last edited by Ensign Steve; 11-01-2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Had to get that Ridley Scott dig in.
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-01-2021), BrotherMan (11-02-2021), Crumb (11-01-2021), fragment (11-01-2021), JoeP (11-01-2021), lisarea (11-01-2021), SharonDee (11-01-2021), Sock Puppet (11-02-2021), specious_reasons (11-03-2021), viscousmemories (01-07-2022)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature