Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography

Old 09-30-2022, 12:33 AM

Default History is for suckers.

If you are a fan of "history," sorry to burst your bubble. But that's just the way things are. Why is it that way? Well the main reason is this old saying. "History is written by the victors." Of course, that doesn't make it true. Also, there is a truism that says, "In war, truth is the first casualty." No doubt, for the winning side, it remains a casualty.

There were a couple notable people from the past who had some correct views on history. One was Napoleon. He said, "History is a set of lies agreed upon." Another was Tolstoy. He said, "History would be a wonderful thing. If it were only true." Of course, if it weren't for history, I wouldn't know these things. But for the most part, it is as I said.

I may try to tell you some true history. But given the power of the victors, I don't think it would go very far. One of the reasons is spoken about in this song.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:28 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Default Re: History is for suckers.

Okay.

:popcorn:
LarsMac (10-01-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Okay.

I have heard it said that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. You can expect even worse if the history you think you know is a bunch of bullshit to begin with. Now, if you worship satan, I don't suppose things getting worse would be a problem.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:08 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by disobey View Post
If you are a fan of "history," sorry to burst your bubble. But that's just the way things are. Why is it that way? Well the main reason is this old saying. "History is written by the victors." Of course, that doesn't make it true. Also, there is a truism that says, "In war, truth is the first casualty." No doubt, for the winning side, it remains a casualty.

There were a couple notable people from the past who had some correct views on history. One was Napoleon. He said, "History is a set of lies agreed upon." Another was Tolstoy. He said, "History would be a wonderful thing. If it were only true." Of course, if it weren't for history, I wouldn't know these things. But for the most part, it is as I said.

I may try to tell you some true history. But given the power of the victors, I don't think it would go very far. One of the reasons is spoken about in this song.

https://youtu.be/w-sREpqDiUo
Ever listened to Zappa while Tripping?
Ah, those were the days.
Crumb (10-01-2022), mickthinks (10-02-2022), Miss Shelby (10-01-2022), slimshady2357 (10-01-2022), Sock Puppet (10-03-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
I have heard it said that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. You can expect even worse if the history you think you know is a bunch of bullshit to begin with. Now, if you worship satan, I don't suppose things getting worse would be a problem.
I’ve heard that too, and that’s also what I expect, and I don’t suppose so either.

:twiddle:
lisarea (10-01-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Ever listened to Zappa while Tripping?
Ah, those were the days.
Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (10-01-2022), slimshady2357 (10-01-2022), Sock Puppet (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:04 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Quote:
Okay.

I don’t think that people necessarily forget the bad stuff in history. I think, particularly if it’s fresh, say in our lifetime, 9/11, I realized how easily people moved on from such a disaster. Not because it wasn’t truly horrible and not because people didn’t grieve. But, keeping such thing in the forefront all of the time is painful. Is that why it gets repeated, because we go on with our lives, preoccupied with the every day stuff? idk that's hypothetical. And then a disaster could happen on the other side of the world, and the other side of the world barely flinches. Not because people don’t care, but because they’re taking care of their families and other business. It is distraction that might be a form of denial if time isn’t taken to reflect.
And consider personal losses in our own lives, it hurt so much at first, and for a long time but after a while we don’t feel it as much anymore, it’s less frequent and rarely comes back as strong and fresh as when it happened. I think it’s what we do to survive.
But I don’t think the distraction is satan. I think staying grounded is key, and that’s staying true to faith and family.
lisarea (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.

I don’t think that people necessarily forget the bad stuff in history. I think, particularly if it’s fresh, say in our lifetime, 9/11, I realized how easily people moved on from such a disaster. Not because it wasn’t truly horrible and not because people didn’t grieve. But, keeping such thing in the forefront all of the time is painful. Is that why it gets repeated, because we go on with our lives, preoccupied with the every day stuff? idk that's hypothetical. And then a disaster could happen on the other side of the world, and the other side of the world barely flinches. Not because people don’t care, but because they’re taking care of their families and other business. It is distraction that might be a form of denial if time isn’t taken to reflect.
And consider personal losses in our own lives, it hurt so much at first, and for a long time but after a while we don’t feel it as much anymore, it’s less frequent and rarely comes back as strong and fresh as when it happened. I think it’s what we do to survive.
But I don’t think the distraction is satan. I think staying grounded is key, and that’s staying true to faith and family.

Forget the bad stuff about history? Most people aren't aware that THEY are the bad stuff about history. Next, people are preoccupied with getting on with life. But they should never get too preoccupied. Next, I don't think the distraction is satan either. The distraction is evil. I posted a link to a song by Frank Zappa on part of the subject. Listen to it. And pay very close attention to the lyrics. How can anybody stay "grounded" when they are floating on a sea of filth. They can't.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:21 AM
angry white woman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.

Forget the bad stuff about history? Most people aren't aware that THEY are the bad stuff about history. Next, people are preoccupied with getting on with life. But they should never get too preoccupied. Next, I don't think the distraction is satan either. The distraction is evil. I posted a link to a song by Frank Zappa on part of the subject. Listen to it. And pay very close attention to the lyrics. How can anybody stay "grounded" when they are floating on a sea of filth. They can't.
Good bye troll. But you are worth a nugget of truth. Save us from the fires of hell Lord and have mercy on those who need it
Old 10-04-2022, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay.

Good bye troll. But you are worth a nugget of truth. Save us from the fires of hell Lord and have mercy on those who need it
Oh. Did I point out your brainwashing? Your comfortable delusion? Boo fucking hoo.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:28 AM
Solipsist

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography