Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 10-21-2020, 11:45 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: This Old House of Bricks

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0BF9C0F9-E21B-46DF-9900-C2EF35E13A3A.jpeg (195.9 KB, 208 views)
Crumb (10-22-2020), Ensign Steve (10-22-2020), fragment (10-22-2020), slimshady2357 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:54 AM

Just finished the structure of Xavier’s Uncanny Castle.

I’ve been working on it for weeks now.

The front half, the guardhouse is more finished.

I have to finish most of the interiors for the main mansion.
Crumb (10-27-2020), Ensign Steve (10-27-2020), JoeP (10-27-2020), Limoncello (01-26-2021), slimshady2357 (10-27-2020), Sock Puppet (10-28-2020), vremya (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 PM
California Sober

It's frickin huge!

beyelzu (10-27-2020), BrotherMan (10-28-2020), Sock Puppet (10-28-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 02:06 AM
Tellifying

Just perused this thrad and I am filled with awe and jealousy
Old 11-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
EGO
Quote:
* Wall sold separately

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-13-2020), Crumb (11-13-2020), Ensign Steve (11-13-2020), Sock Puppet (11-20-2020), wei yau (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:05 PM
Tellifying

Okay, now that I am mostly over my jealousy, I can focus on the awe.

I've built some Lego in my time, but nothing approaching the scale of what you've done here. I was fortunate enough to have "inherited" a bunch of Star Wars sets from my previous employment and have rarely actually purchased a set. This greatly limits what I can build.

But, damn, man. What you and ES are sharing here is mind-blowing. I really appreciate all the different angles to show off your creativity and ingenuity. I'm a fair hand at vehicles, but buildings were never my thing. The amount of engineering needed to make sure everything stays in place is beyond my abilities, but I see you all got it down pat.

I look forward to seeing more of your creations.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM

I’ve said it before, but I really feel lucky to be able to have the money and time and space for this hobby.

10 year old Beyelzu would be excited as hell by the legos. It’s a really cool product and they make great sets these days for adults.

When I was a kid, I told comic book stories with my GIJoes. I tell stories with legos now.

Building Legos is story telling. They would talk about that on Lego masters.

We have a world and a continuity. We don’t really have police in our world but we do have a guillotine for the rich (it’s traditional use :tmgrin: )

When I take the pictures and write the posts, it’s playing with the legos again in the form of story telling.

Being able to set a static scene and take pictures really lends itself to do comic book scenes.

I look at the pictures and videos too. It’s almost as much fun as playing with them :)

I had only built small sets before the pandemic. I free build, I don’t use paper or programs. I think about it and try. Lots of iterating and tear downs.

I’ve learned a lot about building. We watch some Lego videos on YouTube, and when ES builds sets, she shares some of the build techniques.

I really feel we compliment each other Legowise.

legos are easy to build with. Strong and forgiving.

I feel like a cultist, but you can tell a Lego from the other brands, they are more regular.

Anyway, I really enjoy the story telling and world building, and sharing it with y’all.

I remember your own city of heroes posts. A different form of story telling.

Right now I’m slowly doing the Uncanny castle interiors, then I’ll do a full photo shoot if the castle. As mentioned, I’m super happy with it thus far.

Last edited by beyelzu; 11-14-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-16-2020), Ensign Steve (11-14-2020), JoeP (11-14-2020), slimshady2357 (11-14-2020), Sock Puppet (11-20-2020), wei yau (11-14-2020)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:13 PM

Ninjago City Gardens 71741
BrotherMan (01-26-2021), Crumb (01-26-2021), Ensign Steve (01-26-2021), JoeP (01-26-2021), Limoncello (01-26-2021), slimshady2357 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:32 PM

This is built by ES as almost all builds are. She can talk about what it was like to build. It is a gorgeous set. It's a Ninjago set, so I am not familiar with all of the characters, but I love our Destiny's bounty ship which has lots of fun details. This Njinjago City Gardens has similar sensibilities.

The set has a 32 by 32 base plate and then a half plate for the garden with pogoda. It is a corner set basically.

We added Green Goblin helping with a jewel heist and Spiderman coming to investigate.

Back of the build, you can really see the garden.

broken down into the main levels

broken down to all the individual rooms

Here Psylocke from the Xmen is brushing up on her ninja training.

Harry, Hermione, and Cho are ditching the Yule ball to party or look at the Ninjago musem (Hermione's idea)

Gardens in place in Mesa Ladrillos.
Ensign Steve (01-26-2021), JoeP (01-26-2021), Limoncello (01-26-2021), slimshady2357 (01-26-2021), Sock Puppet (02-01-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 AM

And

Ensign Steve (02-03-2021), JoeP (02-03-2021), slimshady2357 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 01:35 AM

Assembly square

So with the shape of our railway and the shape of our city, we decided that we could really use an inverted corner build. There was such an alternative build on bricklink, but the exterior wasn't that great.

ES and I started talking about it and we realized that we could use Assembly Square and only adjust the smaller building. She mirror flipped the one building and made the side that was going up against the emporium smooth. I really like how it turned out.

This is how Assembly square is originally built. I wasn't making this thread back then, although you can see it in many of the photos and videos of Mesa Ladrillos.

Here the Assembly Square sits next to the Theater kind of in the middle.

this is just the set, photo stolen from whoever watermarked it.

this is the finished product from the front. You can see the building on the left has been changed.

here is the back after the flip

The view from atop Xavier's. Check out Chandra and minifig ES riding around in Chandra.

I'm thinking of swapping the garden for another building so we can get continuous sidewalk, but overall, I really like how it all came out. Like I will ever finish. :lol:

From the reverse angle.

Dont forget to bring a mirror!

Last edited by beyelzu; 02-06-2021 at 01:56 AM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-06-2021), JoeP (02-06-2021), mickthinks (02-06-2021), Sock Puppet (02-15-2021), Stephen Maturin (02-06-2021), wei yau (03-03-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 01:40 AM
California Sober

Not sure if he's planning to edit in some more words later, but the deal is that we wanted an "inverted corner" for our city. So I mirror-flipped one of the 3 Assembly Square buildings (and scoonched it over a little bit) in order to do that.

The pic with the hand-mirror is literally me referring to the instructions in the mirror, to make sure I got the flip right. It's not necessary to do that the whole time, but it helps with the more involved tile work, plus I can refer to it every once in a while to make sure I'm on the right track, or if I get a little confused.
beyelzu (02-06-2021), mickthinks (02-06-2021), Sock Puppet (02-15-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Harry Potter Moments.

So when these came out, I really liked the looks of the little builds and I decided to buy them in order to use them to finish the interior of Xavier's Uncanny Castle. ES gets to build/is gracious enough to build the sets that buy. She went over the sets with me. They really are just magical to be stupidly punny. Folded up they are a book and then when opened a Lego story unfolds. It's just such a fitting Lego homage to the Harry Potter World.

I actually second guessed breaking them apart, but we will still have the sets, they will be in the Uncanny Castle. What parts we don't use we can keep together so if we do one day want to reassemble them, we should be able to. So I spoke with ES about the sets, to refresh my memory and I will also be utilizing the Lego.com pages for the sets. Lego's attention to small details can really make a fun kit. The use lots of stickers, but the effects of the graphics are really nice.

If you are thinking of getting these, the minifigs can't be stored in the books. Not a big deal for us, we have designated minifig storage, but they barely fit on top of the books as they are displayed below.

Here the four sets are arrayed. They also can stack together to put on a bookshelf. I didn't include that pic because limit 10. The Howgwarts Moments are Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms and Potions and the classes correspond to Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin respectively. The books matching the color.

Here Transfiguration Class is opened up. We tried to set up the elements so you can see the details. I like how each makes a scene that references the books.

Here Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley are in Professor McGonagall's class. Ron is about to turn is pet rat into a goblet.

Here everything is put away and folded up ready to be closed up again. I love the way these are designed.

Next we have Professor Sprout's Herbology class. Neville Longbottom isn't wearing his ear protection, while Cedric Diggory is outside the greenhouse getting water. When Sprout reveals the Mandrake, Neville falls asleep.

When everything is folded up, most of the pieces are in the center, unlike Transfiguration where things folded to the book covers.

Next we have Professor Flitwick's Charms class with Cho Chang and Harry Potter practicing their leviosas on feathers.

Everything folds up to the sides.

Finally, we have Professor Snapes's Potions class with Draco Malfoy and Seamus Finnigan who explodes the potion in his own face.

This one folds to the middle.

Each professor with their textbook and something from class. The printed mandrake is too cute.

Last edited by beyelzu; 02-08-2021 at 04:01 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-08-2021), slimshady2357 (02-07-2021), wei yau (03-03-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:37 AM

Here is my latest MOC. While I’ve been making primarily buildings, I have much love for giant robots and the like.

I think about making robots and power armor a lot. This idea has been floating around in my ahead (along with green lantern armor) for months. I finally built it.

Robert Drake is Iceman an original X-men in the comics. He was mostly kind of underpowered. He could turn his body to ice and slide around on ice slides he made. Later in Age if Apocalyose it was shown that Iceman was an omega level mutant. In addition to the whole freezing people to death, he also could bulk up his ice form. Later Emma Frost controls iceman in regular continuity and like shows that he can do the age of apocalypse stuff.

I included a picture for a rough idea.

This is an action figure based on the comics to give you an idea.

That’s the concept for this Lego build, Ice man’s ice armor. He controls and moves it like it’s his own body using his mutant powers. It’s supposed to look like ice and crystals and snow.

I really like how Iceman turned out.

Anyway, Iceman is at the corner garage when he notices a clone trooper, he investigates

Thor sticks his Asgardian nose in.

Mando and Baby Yoda drive past

Last edited by beyelzu; 02-14-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-14-2021), Ensign Steve (02-15-2021), JoeP (02-14-2021), slimshady2357 (02-14-2021), Sock Puppet (02-15-2021), wei yau (03-03-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:30 AM

I bought a mixed lot of Lego on Facebook marketplace, it was mostly sets 7094 Kings Siege and 70403 Dragon Mountain.

I was able to make 7094 with only a few substitutions. Its a good looking set. I will use it to make a MOC next.

ES has put together the new blacksmith set. I’ll take pictures for of it soon, but it’s going to be a part of our medieval area as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 58E7D12F-7C06-4732-B564-92600D2401E4.jpeg (108.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpeg 52F8874E-59C8-4564-B403-CAD96EE74306.jpeg (116.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg 24F70712-C286-4589-9B94-9303D60B89A2.jpeg (115.9 KB, 0 views)
Crumb (02-26-2021), JoeP (02-26-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 04:42 AM

Lego 21325 Medieval Blacksmith built by ES of course :tmgrin: The set came out recently and has a 2164 piece count. It’s part of the Lego Ideas line which are fan submissions.

I love the roof design with the angle and the use of shields.

I would say that while some of the roof is in need of repair, the blacksmith is pretty well off.

Here is another angle where you can see the apple tree with archery target.

One side of the roof easily removes to reveal the top floor bedroom. There is a bear/animal skin rug, the bed framed and bedspread are nicely detailed. The writing desk seems pretty extravagant.

Removing the top floor reveals the kitchen. They have meat for supper, a pot of stew and a butter churn.

The bottom floor has the blacksmith shop.

Another angle on the shop so you can see the tree. There is a forge with a light brick, a grinder, swords and bar stock.
Crumb (03-01-2021), JoeP (02-28-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-28-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Looks like it came straight out of the Lego Lord of the Rings game.
beyelzu (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 PM

I’ve been working on our Medieval area or KnightWorld perhaps.

Maybe I should be working on the name :tmgrin:

I’m using the 7094 set and installing it on the base plate. It’s to be a fortress along a river with the drawbridge providing crossing and the road running through the castle.

It’s a tight fit but the blacksmith cart can travel the road.
Kamilah Hauptmann (03-01-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:53 AM

Lego 10276 Colosseum

ES decided that she wanted the Colosseum. She generally makes the call on the sets since she is the one that puts them together :tmgrin:

It's the largest Lego set ever at 9036 pieces.

The Colosseum in all of its ruined glory.

the reverse side.

A bit closer, notice the doric columns on the bottom, ionic in the middle and of course corinthian above that.

Now that the Colosseum is open for business.

Down, down, down, Green Knight's going down.

Apparently, yellow knight and a viking have next.

I guess the dragon has last.

Last edited by beyelzu; 03-03-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-03-2021), Crumb (03-03-2021), Ensign Steve (03-03-2021), JoeP (03-03-2021), slimshady2357 (03-03-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021), wei yau (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 05:18 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:wish:

Someone who used to love us would love that more than they ever loved us.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-03-2021), Crumb (03-03-2021), Ensign Steve (03-03-2021), JoeP (03-03-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021), wei yau (03-03-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 AM

The Colosseum makes a very pretty castle. ES did the rebrick, instructions from rebrickable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 64F2312B-3763-43A3-94D6-AC6C854C313A.jpeg (120.9 KB, 73 views)
BrotherMan (03-10-2021), Crumb (03-10-2021), Ensign Steve (03-10-2021), JoeP (03-10-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021), wei yau (03-10-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 AM

So I am going to upload my pics to imgur and hotlink those until such a time as I can upload here again.

This is our medieval area. Currently unnamed, I'm open to suggestions. On the right, the rebricked Colosseum reaches up to the sky, next to it is the Lego treehouse. I will have a river running next to the gatehouse. The gatehouse is my own creation. on the other side I will have a wall running to the edge with the Blacksmith shop in that area. The area is supposed to be a smaller section of what is a larger walled city.

Here is the Gatehouse as it looks on approach.

A more bird's eye view.

Sideview of the gatehouse.

Last edited by beyelzu; 03-11-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-11-2021), Ensign Steve (03-11-2021), JoeP (03-11-2021), slimshady2357 (03-11-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021), wei yau (03-11-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:58 AM

Our medieval area under construction. I’ve made some progress, I’m building, the main castle wall, waterfall and river that the drawbridge will be across, and a wizard tower.

Kind of all at once, because that’s my “method” :tmgrin:

The beginnings of the Wizard tower.

I’m pretty happy with the windows on the outer wall and the shape of the second floor.

When finished there should be all the amenities for an adventurer: an inn to save games and rest, a blacksmith for weapons and armor, a livery for mounts and a wizard tower for spell components, training, rezes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C9633196-6200-4A01-8499-2B0C7F834E31.jpeg (74.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpeg 3C7224C7-50D6-448A-9659-3C27E6C202F4.jpeg (108.2 KB, 45 views)
Crumb (03-22-2021), Ensign Steve (03-23-2021), JoeP (03-22-2021), slimshady2357 (03-22-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 11:52 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
:wish:

Someone who used to love us would love that more than they ever loved us.
Thus I shall love it more than those who once loved us.

Ambiguity intended.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-23-2021), BrotherMan (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:11 PM

I got some Mega Construx minfigs.

Masters of the Universe. They look really cool, but the build quality isn’t as good as Lego. Beastman’s hand isn’t very secure.

They will be an adventuring party staying at the Inn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 32C7F358-0BDD-46B0-BA25-BD9A3A660C1F.jpeg (88.0 KB, 37 views)
BrotherMan (03-24-2021), Ensign Steve (03-23-2021), Sock Puppet (03-30-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature