Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:

Costasiella kuroshimae, also known as a "leaf slug" or "leaf sheep", or "salty ocean caterpillar" is a species of sacoglossan sea slug.
Costasiella kuroshimae - Wikipedia

Apparently thieving chloroplasts to engage in photosynthesis is called kleptoplasty
JoeP (03-25-2021), Sock Puppet (03-30-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Solipsist

+1 for the term "kleptoplasty". Science.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:34 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

(PDF) A sea slug’s guide to plastid symbiosis

Here is a review paper on them, it's really good.

I got the impression there is still lots of debate over these critters.

I had read that lateral gene transfer is what gives the slugs the ability to maintain the chloroplasts, but this paper says that might not be the case.

lots of different claims were likewise mentioned and then the authors cautions about potential interpretation.

I really get a kick out of these heterophototrophic kleptoplasty critters. The kleptoplasts can't be inherited and they don't last forever, but they do last for awhile and are not simply consumed.
JoeP (03-26-2021), Sock Puppet (03-30-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:04 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

The Muon G minus 2 experiment has reported 4.2 sigma results of an anomaly in the Muons G-Factor. *Pops champaign cork* Woo!
Particle mystery deepens, as physicists confirm that the muon is more magnetic than predicted | Science | AAAS

Ok so WTF?
I’ve read a few different articles on this with varying degrees of boring denseness, and the extra short of why this is important, future theories of quantum electrodynamics potentially have a target to aim for when calculating the Muon’s G-factor, if a new theory doesn’t explain these numbers, then it’s not good enough. Of course it’s not certain yet, it’s only 4.2 sigma, but the experiment has at least one more planned run to go to try and shore that up if it does exist.

A bit more detailed, although to be honest the proper maths of QED gives my head pains, the electron has magnetic moment created by the intrinsic property of spin which causes it to act a bit like a bar magnet with an up and down. The strength of this moment is given by the dirac equation which calculates the multiplying factor ‘g’ of an electron as exactly 2. Throw in some fiddly bits of quantum foam interactions and it’s just a bit higher than 2. Experiments and theory have agreed to amazing precision. Great!

Now we get to the Muon,like an electron but 220 times heavier. That’s no matter though when it comes to it’s magnetic moment, a chunky electron is still the same little bar magnetic and should have the same magnetic moment. The only problem is muons don’t like to stick around and decay quickly, making them quite difficult to study. Hence a giant accelerator ring and it’s massive computer, (the computer systems that log and process the data coming from many of these giant accelerators really deserve credit on their own as engineering marvels.)

An anomaly, or difference between the muon and electron g-factor suggests that the heavier muon is interacting with something that’s giving its spin just a tiny bit more push than it does the electrons. Which sounds unmistakably like potentially related to dark matter to me. Presumably, since an electron isn’t massless, we would see a deviation between theory and experiment with the electron too but it may be so far down to be hidden by noise. There exists another, the Tau lepton, that’s even heavier, but very little study has been done with it and it decays even faster than the muon.

Here is an absurdly large and zoomable image of the experiment, see if you can spot Flash and Reverse-Flash pre transformation.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (04-08-2021), Crumb (04-08-2021), Ensign Steve (04-14-2021), JoeP (04-08-2021), slimshady2357 (04-08-2021), specious_reasons (04-25-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Solipsist

Via APOD,

Thanks, from:
Ari (04-16-2021), BrotherMan (04-16-2021), Crumb (04-16-2021), Sock Puppet (04-16-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:24 PM
Solipsist

Some guys flew a drone to a height of 10ft, y'all

Thanks, from:
Ari (04-24-2021), beyelzu (07-24-2021), BrotherMan (04-20-2021), ceptimus (04-19-2021), Crumb (04-19-2021), Ensign Steve (04-19-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-19-2021), lisarea (04-19-2021), slimshady2357 (04-19-2021), Sock Puppet (04-19-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:44 PM

Photo from said drone, showing the tracks of the rover who fucked off to a good distance just incase the drone became sentient and tried to kill it. Tomorrows expected flight should see a translation of 100m at a height of 5m, so eventually we should see some flying footage and not just up and down.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-25-2021), Crumb (04-25-2021), Ensign Steve (04-25-2021), JoeP (04-25-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-25-2021), slimshady2357 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 04:54 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

So that's the drone's shadow on the ground? :coolness:
JoeP (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Solipsist

Yes, they remember to 'shop it in.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 06:55 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yes, they remember to 'shop it in.
Ceci n'est pas un Mars.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 PM

Fuck you all, I’m outta here!

Wait wait, no, forgot my keys.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-26-2021), Ensign Steve (04-26-2021), JoeP (04-25-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 02:25 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2021), Crumb (04-30-2021), JoeP (04-30-2021), lisarea (05-13-2021), Sock Puppet (05-03-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:14 PM

Exciting results, especially as I know some who worked on this.
MDMA-assisted therapy for severe PTSD: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study | Nature Medicine

In short, in a study of 90 people who didnt improve on normal psych meds and have PTSD were given MDMA assisted therapy, or Placebo assisted therapy. At the end of 3 sessions, 67% of MDMA patients were no longer diagnosed with PTSD, compared to 32% of placebo patients.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2021), Ensign Steve (05-10-2021), JoeP (05-10-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-11-2021), lisarea (05-13-2021), slimshady2357 (05-10-2021), Sock Puppet (05-10-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:01 PM
Solipsist

And now for something completely different ...
:ni:
a worm with multiple butts ...

This Bizarre Sea Worm Branches Like a Tree, And Each Segment Has Its Own Butt

Quote:
The worm is very fragile, and breaks apart very easily, making it extraordinarily difficult to dissect and study.

Nevertheless, after painstaking work using a combination of techniques including histology, electronic optical microscopy, immunohistochemistry, confocal laser microscopy, and X-ray computed microtomography, an international team of biologists has managed to study the ins and outs of R. multicaudata's anatomy.

Thanks, from:
Ari (05-13-2021), Crumb (05-14-2021), fragment (05-14-2021), lisarea (05-13-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 03:46 PM
Solipsist

If you could get a parasite that made you live much longer than everyone else, remaining youthful and without any apparent ill effects, and moreover meant you didn't have to work because everyone else would feed you and care for you ... would you go for it?

The Tapeworm That Helps Ants Live Absurdly Long Lives - The Atlantic

Quote:
Deep in the forests of Germany, nestled neatly into the hollowed-out shells of acorns, live a smattering of ants who have stumbled upon a fountain of youth. They are born workers, but do not do much work. Their days are spent lollygagging about the nest, where their siblings shower them with gifts of food. They seem to elude the ravages of old age, retaining a durably adolescent physique, their outer shells soft and their hue distinctively tawny. ... While their sisters perish within months of being born, these death-defying insects live on for years and years and years.
I'm intrigued.

(The long-lived ants are ones that eat tapeworm eggs and get tapeworms growing inside them. The only sacrifice appears to be that they eventually get eaten by birds, because they're too lazy even to run away.)

Quote:
Foitzik told me that her team couldn’t find any overt downsides to life as an infected ant, a finding that appears to shatter the standard paradigm of parasitism. Even the colonies as a whole remained largely intact.
An elixir of youth! Sign me up!

However:

Quote:
The uninfected workers in parasitized colonies, they realized, were laboring harder. Strained by the additional burden of their wormed-up nestmates, they seemed to be shunting care away from their queen. They were dying sooner than they might have if the colonies had remained parasite-free.
So these lazy infected ants are stealing labour from others to the detriment of the colony as a whole.

I wonder if Jeff Bezos is infected with the same tapeworms.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-01-2021), Crumb (05-26-2021), fragment (05-27-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-26-2021), lisarea (05-31-2021), slimshady2357 (05-26-2021), Sock Puppet (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 06:42 PM
puzzler

Old 05-26-2021, 08:06 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

:hmmm: Do we know whether that is a study being carried out by genuine research psychologists or a puff piece for a commercial outfit? I'm going to call "bullshit".
beyelzu (06-01-2021), ceptimus (05-26-2021), JoeP (05-26-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 02:25 PM
Solipsist

"A huge surprise" as giant river otter feared extinct in Argentina pops up | Argentina | The Guardian

Thanks, from:
Ari (05-30-2021), beyelzu (06-01-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-30-2021), lisarea (05-31-2021), slimshady2357 (06-01-2021), Sock Puppet (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 12:20 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
:hmmm: Do we know whether that is a study being carried out by genuine research psychologists or a puff piece for a commercial outfit? I'm going to call "bullshit".

:lolwut:
Old 06-01-2021, 06:03 PM

A drive by study in dunning krueger.

Im posting mostly for my amusement, in the past this might have annoyed me, today this just makes me laugh and a bit concerned. I wanted a spot to record this to come back to for further analysis, as sadly the responder has over 200K followers and thus affects how others think. How and why he gets things wrong is important.

Midnights edge is a youtube channel that spends most of its time mixing truth and rumors to explain why your favorite franchise is being ruined by SJWs. Lots of hate for Discovery and female ghostbusters.

I watched a short few minute interview with Brian Greene, looked at the comments and Midnights edge here was ranting about how bullshit String theory is, and how its wasted resources etc. I decided to poke them and see why, below is their response.

Theres no point in actually correcting everything, especially once theyve thought about it themselves and feel invested in their answer, any correction will be seen as an attack.

This investment in their conclusion, and how psuedoscience tells others to research it for themselves but keeps control of the data so that people invest a part of their identity into their beliefs is not just powerful but something many do on their own, Ive been slowly working on how one might use these tricks to better teach science. (Partly related, I wonder what age is the right age to blatantly lie to students so that they can feel invested in discovering the truth.)

Bolds mine.

Midnights EdgeFact of the matter is, I did not have to hear these viewpoints from anyone. The two people who more than anything else helped me there, were Brian Greene most notably his book The Fabric of Cosmos (2005) - as well as Michio Kakus Parallell Worlds (2004). I read both of these books upon release, and while doing my own studies in a completely unrelated discipline. I followed their field from the sidelines though, although purely from the viewpoint of an interested layman.
I was excited by the LHC, but wasnt as interested anymore by the time it was activated
by then, my interest in that field had been pushed more and more to the sidelines as the years went by, and my own career again in a completely unrelated discipline progressed.
Then, several more years later, I saw the episode of the Big Bang Theory in which it was revealed that since the Higgs Boson, the LHC had found pretty much nothing. My first reaction to that was that This cant be right?!?.
That rekindled my laymans interest in the field, and I now took a deep dive into it, reading article upon article about the latest developments, watching videos on Youtube, most notably Royal Institution lectures; plus, I researched the history of the various string theories, and which methodology lay behind each now development and I use the term lightly.
Now though, I assessed the methodology employed to arrive at all of this not just as a layman who bought into the narrative, but through the lens of a successful project manager and product developer.
Based on all of this, I and I alone, arrived at the inescapable conclusion that string theory is a bunch of drivel After having reached that conclusion, I came across others on Youtube who said the same; but I had already made my mind up by then. They didnt push me in that direction, because I was already there.
Someone who did push me there though, was snakeoil salesman Michio Kaku!
As I was going down the rabbithole, now asking my own questions rather than blindly following the narrative presented, his harping on about how incredibly short a formula the theory of everything could be summarized as, and how unbelievably beautiful it was going to be; made me realize he was in reality addressing donors, give them sales pitch without any root in reality.
Thats my issue here. There are only so many research grants to go around, and grants wasted on string theory cant be used elsewhere.
What theories would be better than string theory? That I dont know, maybe there isnt any right now and if there isnt, more than half a centurys worth of String theory group think is a big part of the reason why!
Based on the methodology alone, I think its time String theory is abandoned in favor of going back to the drawing board.
Those who spent their careers on it had reason to do so before the LHC, but not now, not anymore. Holding onto it at this stage is like Fred Hoyle holding onto steady state while the rest of the work moved on. It sucks that the entire career was spent on a paradigm that didnt pan out. Theres no shame in it though, not all science pans out.

There is however shame in holding onto something when all evidence suggests its time to discard it, and thats where string theory is today.
Thanks, from:
But (06-01-2021), Crumb (06-01-2021), JoeP (06-01-2021), slimshady2357 (06-02-2021), Sock Puppet (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:06 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Theres no point in actually correcting everything, especially once theyve thought about it themselves and feel invested in their answer, any correction will be seen as an attack.
I agree, it's rather useless, even if there actually was anything to correct. To such a person I would just offer a couple of simple observations:

1. You are obviously not qualified to have an opinion on any of this. It's a harsh reality, but after reading a pop-sci book or two about the stuff your grasp of a subject like this will be exactly bupkis.

2. You've come up with something better? No? Then STFU.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-01-2021), ceptimus (06-02-2021), slimshady2357 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:28 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-06-2021), ceptimus (06-06-2021), Crumb (06-10-2021), Ensign Steve (06-08-2021), JoeP (06-06-2021), Pan Narrans (06-11-2021), slimshady2357 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Solipsist

from APOD

Thanks, from:
Ari (06-11-2021), BrotherMan (06-11-2021), Crumb (06-11-2021), Ensign Steve (07-02-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-11-2021), Pan Narrans (06-11-2021), slimshady2357 (06-11-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (09-22-2021), Ensign Steve (07-16-2021), JoeP (07-16-2021), lisarea (07-16-2021), Pan Narrans (07-16-2021), Sock Puppet (07-16-2021), specious_reasons (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 05:46 PM
California Sober

:lol: @ "whatever, square."
beyelzu (09-22-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences