Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-01-2024, 04:14 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

I liked all the seasons of true detective.

I loved Jodie Foster and Kali Reiss performances. I just found out that Reis started acting just a few years ago after a career in boxing! I would have never thought that she was new to acting.

By the end, I thought the guy playing a young deputy did some really good work as well.

Very light spoilers.

The creator of true detective didnt care for it, and the story was originally conceived as an independent show, but I think its a fine addition to the True Detective universe. I strongly suspect if Night Country had less Native themes or less women in the lead roles Nic wouldnt have such substantive complaints about the show as its stupid.

True detective often had fun devices, they told stories nonlinearly featuring cops who had flaws and sometimes did the right thing in spite of their personal problems.

It felt appropriately noir with lots of broken people.
Our cop heroes have complicated histories and often dont like each other even as they work together.
JoeP (03-01-2024), Miisa (03-02-2024), Miss Shelby (03-05-2024), SharonDee (03-01-2024), Sock Puppet (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 04:23 PM

Also anyone watching Shōgun?

The first two episodes dropped and I really enjoyed them.

Its a bit brutal, it does clean up some of the historical problems of the first miniseries (dont know if its in the book, never read it).

I found out recently that the author of Shōgun was held as a pow by Japan in WW2. Those were brutal conditions to put it mildly.

It is very loosely based on a real person.

William Adams (pilot - Wikipedia)
JoeP (03-01-2024), Miisa (03-02-2024), SharonDee (03-01-2024), Sock Puppet (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 06:12 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Also anyone watching Shōgun?

The first two episodes dropped and I really enjoyed them.

It’s a bit brutal, it does clean up some of the historical problems of the first miniseries (don’t know if it’s in the book, never read it).

I found out recently that the author of Shōgun was held as a pow by Japan in WW2. Those were brutal conditions to put it mildly.

It is very loosely based on a real person.

William Adams (pilot - Wikipedia)
I saw the trailer, but haven't yet seen it. Grandson watched last night. He was impressed. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to out perform the 80s version with today's film technology. Though that same tech could make the gadgets overshadow the actors.

I wasn't a fan of Chamberlain's work in the 80s, but had long been a fan of Mifune.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 07:32 PM

I've been watching Shōgun, and I can't help comparing it to the Richard Chamberlain one because I am of an age.

It's nice that there are two versions for people who'd rather hear English dubbed over the Japanese dialog. That gives me more people I can discuss the show with. As for myself, I like reading subtitles while listening to the language so I can pick up a phrase or two. (Also, I find Japanese beautiful.)

My one nitpick is more of a personal one. The guy playing John Blackthorne this time bugs. It's not his fault; he's doing a good job. But those eyes look weird on his weird face. Can we just stick to the Japanese characters so I don't have to look at him?
beyelzu (03-02-2024), LarsMac (03-01-2024), Sock Puppet (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
I've been watching Shōgun, and I can't help comparing it to the Richard Chamberlain one because I am of an age.

It's nice that there are two versions for people who'd rather hear English dubbed over the Japanese dialog. That gives me more people I can discuss the show with. As for myself, I like reading subtitles while listening to the language so I can pick up a phrase or two. (Also, I find Japanese beautiful.)

My one nitpick is more of a personal one. The guy playing John Blackthorne this time bugs. It's not his fault; he's doing a good job. But those eyes look weird on his weird face. Can we just stick to the Japanese characters so I don't have to look at him?
Nope. Probably not.
I took some time to find it and watch the beginning.
First impressions:
Jarvis definitely looks like a not-so-proper Brit, Yeah? I like him already.
He'll be a fine Blackthorne. Chamberlain's character was oh-so Noble. I never really liked him.

I think Hiroyuki Sanada will do justice to the Toranaga role. Maybe he's channeling Toshiro Mifune.

Just when I was contemplating suspending my YouTube sub. Guess I'll keep it.

It's been so long, I may have to go back and read the book, again.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-02-2024), JoeP (03-02-2024), Miisa (03-02-2024), SharonDee (03-08-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 07:01 AM
NPC

I enjoyed the first two episodes Disney+ has at this point. I think I was too young to be allowed to watch the Chamberlain show at the time, but I did read the book later on and it seems pretty faithful from what I remember, with perhaps more of a look at things from the Japanese side, which is an improvement.

My mild annoyance is that it forces you to really watch it, if you are fiddling with your phone at the same time - as has become the norm for many of us these days - you might miss a lot.
beyelzu (03-02-2024), JoeP (03-02-2024), LarsMac (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 08:13 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miisa View Post
My mild annoyance is that it forces you to really watch it, if you are fiddling with your phone at the same time - as has become the norm for many of us these days - you might miss a lot.
I have no idea what you mean :shiftier:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 09:53 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:tiptoe:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:15 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
I enjoyed the first two episodes Disney+ has at this point. I think I was too young to be allowed to watch the Chamberlain show at the time, but I did read the book later on and it seems pretty faithful from what I remember, with perhaps more of a look at things from the Japanese side, which is an improvement.

I seem to remember reading, somewhere around here about some new translation tech that sounded like it could easily solve such an issue.

With all the money that obviously went into that series, you'd think they could put out a few pence more to solve translation issues without using the old fashioned sub-titles.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
seem to remember reading, somewhere around here about some new translation tech that sounded like it could easily solve such an issue.
I suspect that its a deliberate choice. They just use english for portuguese but subtitle the Japanese. As Blackthorne learns Japanese, they might end up doing more in English to emphasize his assimilation of culture, or maybe they felt it was more respectful to the Japanese.

There is a Netflix show 1899 which is much harder to follow when dubbed because many different people speak different languages with some bilingual characters but many who are not.

Quote:
Because the language barrier is essential to its plot, the Japanese is not dubbed into English, which forces your eyes to the subtitles
'Shōgun' on FX is a Triumph - THE DIG).
LarsMac (03-04-2024), SharonDee (03-08-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:08 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Quote:
seem to remember reading, somewhere around here about some new translation tech that sounded like it could easily solve such an issue.
I suspect that it’s a deliberate choice. They just use english for portuguese but subtitle the Japanese. As Blackthorne learns Japanese, they might end up doing more in English to emphasize his assimilation of culture, or maybe they felt it was more respectful to the Japanese.

There is a Netflix show 1899 which is much harder to follow when dubbed because many different people speak different languages with some bilingual characters but many who are not.

Quote:
Because the language barrier is essential to its plot, the Japanese is not dubbed into English, which forces your eyes to the subtitles
'Shōgun' on FX is a Triumph - THE DIG).

Good points.

After fifty some years of watching films done in all sorts of languages, (I remember, in the fifties, watching Japanese flicks with subtitles ( Seven Samurai, Godzilla, to name a couple) and struggling to keep up. Only being able to converse in English, I have become rather adept at following the story, and following multilingual conversations by reading the subtitles very quickly. Sometimes a complex conversation can get away from me, but can usually hold my own.

Though, I am confused on whether Blackthorne is speaking Portuguese, or not. Do the Papists also speak English?

This is definitely one where having all the conversation in English would take away from the context and mood, I think. [for me, at least]
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (03-04-2024), JoeP (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:27 PM

Blackthorne compliments marikos Portuguese and asks her how long she has been speaking it in one scene.

Quote:
[English] was sort of our lingua franca that we decided on early, Marks said. If you have European characters speaking, for the most part theyre speaking Portuguese. William Adams, historically, and John Blackthorne, the fictional character, both spoke a number of languages. It made sense that Portuguese could be his way of getting in with them.
Shogun's Clever Approach to Japanese, English, and Portuguese Explained | Den of Geek

Marks is one of the creators of Shōgun
LarsMac (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:20 PM
angry white woman

My guilty pleasure right now is Feud: Capote vs the Swans. Its on hulu. And its Ryan Murphy so you cant go wrong. I may have mentioned it before but there is another Feud series: Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Just very catty and and down and dirty.
SharonDee (03-08-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 PM
Rambling Old Fart

After the Hatfields and McCoys thing, I can go a few more lifetimes without watching any more feuds.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:45 AM
NPC

Oh, subtitles is definitely better than a dub; I think a dub could be considered an outright crime against the art in some cases (Everything Everywhere all at Once comes to mind). But subs can occasionally be exhausting these days as they force us to concentrate in a world where we have become so used to multitasking and being distracted to the point of it being an epidemic of self-inflicted ADD.

English-language films in the cinema usually have double subtitles here as it is a bilingual country, which had me worried when we went to see Dune part 2, as JoeP is not quite on a level with his Finnish (let alone Swedish) where he could understand a fast subtitle. Problem solved by the translators moving the non-English subs up the screen a bit when the English was required, creating three rows and thus not blocking the English. But it is even more exhausting, as I tend to read and compare them all subconciously.
ceptimus (04-02-2024), Crumb (03-06-2024), JoeP (03-05-2024), LarsMac (03-05-2024), Sock Puppet (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 07:43 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
I still think Mads Mikkelsen is the best Hannibal ever seen on screen though.
It's the best version of "screen Hannibal" as opposed to "book Hannibal," which would be Brian Cox from Manhunter. Screen Hannibal is more suave and refined.
Manhunter starring William Peterson was the first Red Dragon and by far my favortine.
specious_reasons (03-05-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
My guilty pleasure right now is Feud: Capote vs the Swans. Its on hulu. And its Ryan Murphy so you cant go wrong. I may have mentioned it before but there is another Feud series: Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Just very catty and and down and dirty.
Guilty pleasures FTW! :goldcup:

I just finished Capote vs. The Swans and enjoyed it very much. I also loved the Bette vs. Joan one (natch).

What I liked about both was the costuming. I can remember people on TV looking like that when I watched reruns. (Yeah, reruns. That's the ticket.)
Ensign Steve (03-26-2024), Miss Shelby (03-08-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 06:01 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Watched first episode of "The Three Body Problem" on Netflix.

Ummm, interesting. It promises to be as ponderous as the book.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-01-2024), beyelzu (04-02-2024), Ensign Steve (04-01-2024), JoeP (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 07:45 PM
California Sober

If you want ponderous, check out the Chinese version on Prime. It covers less ground in 30 episodes than the Netflix does in 8. :plzhold:
beyelzu (04-02-2024), JoeP (04-02-2024), LarsMac (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:06 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-03-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:48 PM
here to bore you with pictures

I watched the first two episodes of "Fallout" - the Amazon series based on the games.

Overall, the series gets the look and tone of the world of the games, it's an impressive feat of design and production. It's also a bold choice, because the game is filled with dark humor, and the series so far is embracing that. The writers and set makers have been making a lot of nods to details in the game, which I enjoy.

I find it entertaining, but I'm mildly unhappy with the main characters. The Vault Dweller, Lucy is supposed to be ignorant of the greater world, but she's set up to be better than she acts — like they haven't figured out the balance between her being ignorant and naive but also smart and capable. They also focus on a Brotherhood of Steel squire, Maximus, and he's set up to be idealistic but not capable, but he seems to ditch the idealism pretty quickly. However, Walton Goggins is the Ghoul, whose character is perfect for him and is flawless in its execution.

Less than perfect, but it's working for me.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-11-2024), BrotherMan (04-11-2024), Crumb (04-11-2024), Ensign Steve (04-11-2024), Sock Puppet (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:45 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Shōgun is definitely going to win some Emmys.
Quote:
I don't think of that as a downside necessarily.

I know other people who get bothered that they can't look at their phone (or they just miss stuff because they can't resist) but being forced to pay attention might make you enjoy it more.

Also, the show looks really really good.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-11-2024), JoeP (04-12-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature