Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Global Warming for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
Very good memory. And to be truthful, I haven't gotten any further in that book.
So it really was just the picture on the cover that you found so compelling.

Quote:
I am not trying to start a fight re: global warming. IN fact, I have admitted ignorance and am looking for answers.
If you are actually so stupid that you can't find at least some basic information on your own, then nothing anyone tells you here is going to do you much good.

But again, it was a disingenuous request in the first place, and you're just exploiting people's better instincts for your amusement.

Seriously, you're not even good at trolling.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 AM
angry white woman

Quote:
If you can't be bothered to put forth the incredibly minimal effort it'd take to get a little background on the subject, why should anyone else go to the trouble to try to distill it into something you might be willing and able to understand? If you had a genuine interest in understanding the subject, you would have learned a little about it and maybe asked some specific questions.
I have done google searches and read. But how do I know what I can believe, just from internet source info? It's been over a decade since I've been in college. Not that I would have been able to get a real defiintion then.

You chastize me for not investigating it on my own--but even if I do-- how do I know I am getting accurate information? So I thought maybe peeps on this messageboard could provide me with info I had not seen.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
I have done google searches and read. But how do I know what I can believe, just from internet source info? It's been over a decade since I've been in college. Not that I would have been able to get a real defiintion then.

You chastize me for not investigating it on my own--but even if I do-- how do I know I am getting accurate information? So I thought maybe peeps on this messageboard could provide me with info I had not seen.
OK. If, for some reason, you've decided that this forum is a more accurate and reliable source of information than established sources, I will look forward to your thoughtful and relevant responses to the information people provide you in this thread.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 AM
angry white woman

Quote:
But again, it was a disingenuous request in the first place, and you're just exploiting people's better instincts for your amusement.
No, though I can see why you have arrived at this conclusion-- I am not trying to exploit anyone's better instincts in this case.-- And really I wasn't in the last, but that was different altogether. So instead of defending my actions about that I will just say YES-- I can SEE why you would think that of me this time-- and be suspicious of my motives.

BUT--my motives this time ( and even then ) are pure. I REALLY am wanting to know more about global warming. I am ignorant I am unlearned --and I do want to be educated.

I'm sorry to the board if I've come off like a right winged I toldja so wanna be uptight Coulter. I mean, I love that personae, but I have not meant to be that way via my own personality ->FF members. Please Forgive.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
You chastize me for not investigating it on my own--but even if I do-- how do I know I am getting accurate information?
Just go with whatever caters to your own prejudices and you'll be exercising as much due diligence as any GW proponent on this board. ;)

~ Dorothy ~
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
OK. If, for some reason, you've decided that this forum is a more accurate and reliable source of information than established sources, I will look forward to your thoughtful and relevant responses to the information people provide you in this thread.
Disco!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 AM

I really hope that's true, but I'm not one of the people who's responded to your question seriously. Have you had a chance to look at any of the information people have provided you yet?

If you're sincere in your request, I'd certainly like to hear what you think of what you've learned so far.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby
I had NO IDEA that mentioning Left and Right Wingnuts would set people off.

NO IDEA.
Really, why didn't you have any idea that using disparaging terminology would likely generate negative responses? I'm curious as to how it's possible to grow up and not figure that stuff out by your 25th birthday.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
:blahblah:
:giggle:
Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
:blahblah:
:giggle:
:baby:
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
Quote:

NO IDEA.
Really, why didn't you have any idea that using disparaging terminology would likely generate negative responses? I'm curious as to how it's possible to grow up and not figure that stuff out by your 25th birthday.
Terms like moon bat and rapture nuts shouldn't offend people if they're not moon bats and rapture nuts.

You'll learn that on your 26th birthday.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Terms like moon bat and rapture nuts shouldn't offend people if they're not moon bats and rapture nuts.
:hugtroll:
Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Miss Shelby,

To some extent global climate change is an issue which has been recognized by both conservatives and liberals. The United States has a Global Climate Change Policy where they state: Climate change is a serious challenge, the scale and scope of which will require a global response.

Is there outrageous rhetoric on both sides? Yes, I would say the likelihood of that is a pretty safe bet, despite some wingbat protestations in this very thread. Pay them no mind.

What I would say is that, whether you think the world is about to reach a tipping point where there is no turning back, or that we should be able to dump as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as we want ... we might want to stop and think about our responsibilities as stewards of this planet. Do we do all we can do to make this a better place to live, for us, our children and our children's children? The things we can do are rather simple too: conserving energy (Energy Star compliant appliances, turn off your lights when you're not using them, recognize and eliminate vampiric energy usage, map out your day to cut down on gas consumption, and keep your cars tires properly inflated) and recycling (recycling used products and buying materials which are made from recycled products) are two of the best ways we can help achieve a lower "carbon footprint".
err on the side of caution and ignore the assholes who think they know what they're talking about? Sounds good to me.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
... we might want to stop and think about our responsibilities as stewards of this planet. Do we do all we can do to make this a better place to live, for us, our children and our children's children?
While stomping down with my own carbon footprint (playing a computer game) I was introduced to the lovely little quotation:

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

It's supposed to be a Native American saying, but I couldn't vouch for that. It sums thing up nicely though.
In my case, I borrow it from your children.

Or, when I'm feeling particular wasteful, I steal it from from yguy's children.

:mooch:
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NO IDEA.

You'll learn that on your 26th birthday.
Why shouldn't they offend people? The terms you used are broad enough categories that most people would fit in them for one view or another. If you start calling folks niggers, I shouldn't be offended because you haven't disparaged me, personally? Call me socially aware. It's not being PC, it's just knowing that flippant disparagement tends to degrade quality of life for the people on the receiving end. And we are on the receiving end, even if the remarks were not directly aimed at us.
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (02-19-2008)
Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM

You mean I can't use the term "wingnuts"?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
If only there were some kind of searchable repository of information available to us. Some kind of network across which vast amounts of data about any number of topics could be shared. Said network might even offer some kind of easily accessible encyclopedia in which one could find commonly requested information. And it might even do it free of charge.

But I speak now of daydreams and fantasy.

Yeah...But they wouldn't trust it exactly because it was easily accessible. To be the Truth™, it must be hidden and secret and not readily accessible. Plus, things that contradict each other would be on such a readily available searchable repository of information.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Why shouldn't they offend people?
What a fucking hypocrite. You fucking hypocrites. The whole fucking lot of you. The left wingers here can call people (who partake of this forum for that matter) centrist loons and you turn a blind eye. Someone uses the general term wingnut, not directed at anyone in this thread (not even anyone on this forum)... and you mount your mighty high-horse and go on a self-righteous rampage ... why?

Last edited by TomJoe; 02-19-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Edited because Clutch's panties got tied in a knot.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

:trainrek:

:rolleye2:
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You fucking hypocrites. The whole fucking lot of you. The left wingers here can call people (who partake of this forum for that matter) centrist loons and you turn a blind eye. Someone uses the general term wingnut, not directed at anyone in this thread (not even anyone on this forum)... and you mount your mighty high-horse and go on a self-righteous rampage ... why?
Well, to be honest, I'm still trying to get my head around the "centrist loon" terminology. But I think it's amusing.

I personally don't think anybody needs to tell anyone else here what terminology they can use or not use. Don't like it, say so. If somebody else doesn't like that, they'll say so.

I'm not offended. I was just checking in to see if I was clear about whether I would be "allowed" to use some terms and not others.

That's not hypocritical, is it?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Quote:
You fucking hypocrites. The whole fucking lot of you. The left wingers here can call people (who partake of this forum for that matter) centrist loons and you turn a blind eye.
So, then:

Everyone here is a hypocrite, because all 1 of a left wingers called all 1 people a centrist loon, in 1 post.

Also, the bulk of replies in this thread have been about a single use of the word "wingnut", and not about dubious evidential search and interpretation practices.

Nope. Doesn't make a lick of sense.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Well, to be honest, I'm still trying to get my head around the "centrist loon" terminology. But I think it's amusing.
Yeah, you're right. It didn't make much sense ... as if gravitating towards the truth is a Bad Thing.

BTW: I've edited my comment to correct its general nature, and make it more specific.

My point was ... it appears that a blind eye is turned when someone with differing viewpoints is being lambasted. The fact of the matter is ... Miss Shelby was critical of both the extreme left and the extreme right. It just so happens that members of this forum, who camp out on the extreme left ... took umbrage. "Pile On" ensued. Those sorts of "pile on's" don't happen if one is part of the "in crowd" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
Also, the bulk of replies in this thread have been about a single use of the word "wingnut", and not about dubious evidential search and interpretation practices.
FYI: The thread was about Global Warming, not how to use Google. I know, I know, they both start with 'G', right?

IOW, see above ... "pile on".

Last edited by TomJoe; 02-19-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. It didn't make much sense ... as if gravitating towards the truth is a Bad Thing.
I'm too lazy to go back and look up the precise context of the original "centrist loon" comment, but I believe it was intended to criticize the notion represented by the portion of your post I've bolded. Specifically, the idea that the truth must always be located somewhere in the center of a given spectrum of positions is extremely questionable. Sometimes, one extreme position is factually correct, and the other is a lot of blowing smoke. After all, the earth is neither flat nor spherical but, rather, a hemispherical solid, right?

This is not to say that I endorse calling you personally a "centrist loon", but I do agree that rigid centrism (not that I'm accusing you of that either, btw) is a form of wingnuttery on a par with any extremist ideology.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

My point was ... it appears that a blind eye is turned when someone with differing viewpoints is being lambasted. The fact of the matter is ... Miss Shelby was critical of both the extreme left and the extreme right. It just so happens that members of this forum, who camp out on the extreme left ... took umbrage. "Pile On" ensued. Those sorts of "pile on's" don't happen if one is part of the "in crowd" here.

Well...I certainly wasn't part of any piling on. I think she's perfectly within her rights (if you would) to ask what she will, question the responses, and get into spats. I happen to think that most of us here are wingnuts of some kind or another, or we wouldn't be here. You included. I happen to like Lovelock's Gaia thesis, which places me squarely in the wingnut category. I also happen to think that GW is indeed happening and that human activity has had some part in it. Between changing the gaseous atmosphere and tainting most of the arable soil and potable water, the human species will endanger it's current levels of population (the Malthusian hypothesis). Mastery of technologies has put off that apocalyptic change and embued many of us with a hubris which will once again endanger us...huge reductions in human population are in the indefinite future. Whether by toxification of our environment, starvation, or pandemic (probably all three). In the midst of it all, we will murder each other for what remains.

I think the opportunity to avoid that has passed.

The survivors will struggle to start all over, but the technologies once available to improve and ease life will be gone. Will they learn from the collapse, or do it all over again?

It will not be the end of the world, but it will be a cataclysmic change.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
A fellow sophisticate

In a few years this all going to be really funny or tragic, one of the two. I'm betting on funny. But, I could be wrong.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences