Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Students can be so sweet ...

Despite the long hours and all the work, and the frequent suspicion that most textbooks are never actually read, teaching can be an incredibly rewarding experience.

I just got an e-mail from one of my students saying she was glad to see me in the cafeteria. [Some instructors, for whatever reason, don't enjoy interacting with students outside of class and so seldom if ever eat in the cafeteria. Me, I figure it's easier than making something and bringing it with me, and it's a whole lot easier (and healthier) than going out for fast food. Besides, I sometimes wind up sitting with students, and it can be fun to chat with them outside of the classroom environment.]

Another student heard somewhere (it's a small school) that I'm "into" martial arts and so gave me a copy of a dvd he has on conditioning exercises for martial artists, thinking I'd like it. He isn't even in any of my classes.

Is that sweet or what?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Students can be so sweet ...

That's totally sweet. :aww:

It sounds like you're a topic of conversation even among students who aren't in your classes. I wouldn't be surprised if that translated into more people giving Biology a try. :thumbup:
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
ŧiggermonkey

That's great, TLR. :vibes:
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Tellifying

All due credit to the students for being sweet, but the way I see it, this is more a testament to your standing in the campus community.

It's clear to me that you're seen as approachable and not only does this make for the great social experiences you've described, but it also would result in your students being more eager to learn and more able to learn from your classes.

Hell, if I had teachers like you, I'd never have dropped out of college. Hell, if there were teachers like you near me, I'd probably go back to college.

Thanks, Masked Man, for restoring my faith in the present-day state of education.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
A fellow sophisticate

:yeahthat:
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Agreed. And, to any new college students reading this: This is an example of why you research the professors first, and plan your class schedule around the right ones. Best advice I ever got as a freshman.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
fragment (01-31-2007)
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Another piece of good news! I just got a letter from the Vice President of Academic Affairs informing me that they've been quite impressed with my teaching evaluations from both my peers and my students, and that I've been re-appointed for next year. Yay!

That is excellent advice, by the way, Sock Puppet, and absolutely vital for graduate school. I wish someone had given it to me when I was choosing graduate programs. Whenever anyone tells me they're interested in graduate school, I tell them, for goodness' sake, learn as much as you can about the person(s) you're thinking of working with first! Choosing the wrong advisor can have disastrous consequences.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Choosing the wrong advisor can have disastrous consequences.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Conrats Michael on the kudos from your students--you must be doing some good stuff out there in the trenches. Lately I have had several of my former students come to me (unlikely ones at that, as they never seemed particularly interested in my class), and tell me how much they learned--one came up to me today and thanked me for "making" her do all the maps we did, and that now she wished her current teacher worked with maps. It's nice to hear positive things from the students. Made my day! And its nice that your supervisors appreciate you too, compared to the total shellacking we get from the administration where I work.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Now in six dimensions!

And I thought this was going to be about the best way to serve students up as a dessert.

Speaking as a student, I think most of the time we all feel a bit intimidated by our lecturers. They come across as smart and knowledgable and generally busy, so actually going up and pestering them feels a bit like you're wasting their time.

It sounds like you've made your students feel valued, Michael. That's a good thing (but not unexpected, knowing you).
Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
... I've been re-appointed for next year.
Excellent news, TLR, and a no-brainer on the school's part.

Is it a probationary appointment, or continuing contracts? (Apologies if you already explained this.)

We're hiring this year in my department. Just yesterday I had the rare unreserved pleasure of calling one of our 200 applicants to offer the job. I can tell you it's a good feeling from the caller's end, too.

Of course, then I had to sit down and write to the three other people we interviewed...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
And I thought this was going to be about the best way to serve students up as a dessert.
Pfff. Liv would have moved it to the Food & Drinks forum by now! :hungry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
Another piece of good news! I just got a letter from the Vice President of Academic Affairs informing me that they've been quite impressed with my teaching evaluations from both my peers and my students, and that I've been re-appointed for next year. Yay!
Congratulations! That is indeed great news!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:29 PM

The school hires people on one-year contracts until (if) you receive tenure. So, I'll have people dropping into my classes from time to time to see how I'm doing for the next 4 - 5 years, until I'm eligable to apply for tenure. Whew!

On a related note, I have an exam scheduled for Monday. Some students approached me today to ask if I'd reschedule it. Apparently, there's some big football game on Sunday, and some of the students thought they'd rather spend their weekend watching it than studying for an exam. Go figure.

(I told them "no, I won't reschedule the exam.")

This morning, I received an invitation to judge a local high school's science fair. That could be interesting. According to my colleague, who actually received the invitation, then passed it on to me, I have the "right temperament for that sort of thing." Hmm.

Actually, though, it sounds like fun. I used to teach at a Girl Scout Camp, and 12 - 15 year-olds are often much more enthusiastic students than 19 - 21 year-olds.

Congrats on the new hire, Clutch! That must be a nice feeling indeed!

Cheers,

Michael
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
The school hires people on one-year contracts until (if) you receive tenure. So, I'll have people dropping into my classes from time to time to see how I'm doing for the next 4 - 5 years, until I'm eligable to apply for tenure. Whew!
Crikey, that's pretty harsh.

We give a 3-year probationary appointment, followed by a second 3-year appointment, with tenure applications due at the beginning of year 5.

Quote:
Congrats on the new hire, Clutch! That must be a nice feeling indeed!
It sure is. When resources (scholarships, grad school spots, jobs) are scarce and highly qualified applicants are numerous, it's easy to get worn down by the feeling that most of one's administrative job is saying No to good people.

Those great big Yesses are positively rejuvenating.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:56 AM
dancing backward in high heels

Quote:
This morning, I received an invitation to judge a local high school's science fair. That could be interesting. According to my colleague, who actually received the invitation, then passed it on to me, I have the "right temperament for that sort of thing." Hmm.

Actually, though, it sounds like fun. I used to teach at a Girl Scout Camp, and 12 - 15 year-olds are often much more enthusiastic students than 19 - 21 year-olds.
I've been judging the local one here (7th thru 12th grade) for the past two years, and I've had a blast. (Can't go this year, alas, because I have a symposium to run that day). I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

If a girl presents a really cool project on the eye, complete with dissected cow's eyes her mom got her at the butcher's and incredibly detailed charts and diagrams on high quality poster paper, don't give the prize to the boy who built a baking soda rocket. The boy with baking soda rocket has won enough.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Now in six dimensions!

I'm sensing unresolved issues...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Clutchenheimer

Too much BF Skinner and not enough PT Barnum, eh?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 PM
ninja mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
All due credit to the students for being sweet, but the way I see it, this is more a testament to your standing in the campus community.

It's clear to me that you're seen as approachable and not only does this make for the great social experiences you've described, but it also would result in your students being more eager to learn and more able to learn from your classes.
Ditto that. I think it's one of those cases of what you give coming back to you. I had a few select professors that still stand out in my mind and I know that they helped shape the person I am. That's a really incredible thing ;)

Don't make me break out my ninja powers..

:llamaninja:
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 AM
God is, but what God is I do not know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post

Speaking as a student, I think most of the time we all feel a bit intimidated by our lecturers. They come across as smart and knowledgable and generally busy, so actually going up and pestering them feels a bit like you're wasting their time.

It sounds like you've made your students feel valued, Michael. That's a good thing (but not unexpected, knowing you).

Where fees are concerned, see it this way

'If I don't talk with them, they get paid for less work. If I do waste their time, they will be financially reimbursed'

You have to go through shit to get out of a shithole.

You've got a bad back, arthritis, you lost an arm, your face is scarred and you have to use a walking stick. You get a chance to go back and miss out on all your adventures and be healthy in later years. And woe be to you if you take that chance.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:25 PM
mostly harmless

That's great news, TLR! Congrats!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny
Just yesterday I had the rare unreserved pleasure of calling one of our 200 applicants to offer the job. I can tell you it's a good feeling from the caller's end, too.
I am crossing my fingers I get a message like this from at least one of the departments I've been applying to for a PhD placement. I've got interviews lined up, but I'm getting jumpy I won't be asked back by any. :worry:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall