Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Love Bomb

Default Dirty Liberal Media!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...341EST0627.DTL

Get this:

Bush is calling for fundraising so that the GOP can combat liberal media bias!

Quote:
The Republican Party is following up record fund raising for President Bush's re-election effort by asking donors to finance its efforts to get Bush's message "past the liberal media filter" to the public.

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman sent a fund-raising e-mail Wednesday telling supporters donations are needed to help Bush advance his second-term agenda.

"The president has great goals for our country: a growing economy, strong homeland and national defense, tort and Social Security reform and affordable health care. But we need your help to get the president's message past the liberal media filter and directly to the American people," wrote Mehlman, Bush's 2004 campaign manager. Mehlman asked donors to give $25 or more.

[....]

Mehlman's fund-raising pitch came as Bush barred Cabinet secretaries from hiring columnists to promote administration policies. Bush's order came after disclosure that the Health and Human Services Department and Education Department each used taxpayer money to hire columnists to promote agency programs.

Bush said there "needs to be a nice independent relationship between the White House and the press, the administration and the press."

I wonder how these "independent relationship[s]" will work?

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Default Re: Dirty Liberal Media!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunachick
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...341EST0627.DTL

Get this:

Bush is calling for fundraising so that the GOP can combat liberal media bias!
Actually, the article clearly states that ... Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman sent a fund-raising e-mail Wednesday.... I do not think that Ken Mehlman is George Bush.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoe
Actually, the article clearly states that ... Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman sent a fund-raising e-mail Wednesday.... I do not think that Ken Mehlman is George Bush.
That's a fair point. Think we should expect Bush to disavow the effort?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:

Fair cop as far as technicalities and nitpicks go, I guess, but not all that relevant to the greater issue of the GOP potentially raising cash to make the media even more under the control of the current admin, of which Bush is the head.

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Well, I would hope so, given that he just went and told his Cabinet not to do this very thing.

Quote:
... not all that relevant to the greater issue of the GOP potentially raising cash to make the media even more under the control of the current admin ...
Are you telling me that the White House has the major news networks in its back pocket? I'd strongly disagree with that assessment. Strongly disagree.

PS: The Democrats raised even more money pre-election ($402 million to $385 million) than the Republican party. They can certainly choose to "fight fire with fire" if they want.

PS: Before anyone gives me any "You're a Christian, so you're probably a Republican too." bullshit... I'm a registered Independent.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Are you telling me that the White House has the major news networks in its back pocket? I'd strongly disagree with that assessment. Strongly disagree.
I'd say that it has some of them and wants more.
Quote:
PS: The Democrats raised even more money pre-election ($402 million to $385 million) than the Republican party. They can certainly choose to "fight fire with fire" if they want.
The Dems are pussy appeasers. I don't expect too much from them.

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
PS: Before anyone gives me any "You're a Christian, so you're probably a Republican too." bullshit... I'm a registered Independent.
LOL. Well, that was a fairly unnecessary disclaimer. Having been a member at CF, I already know that there are many non-Republican Christians, so don't give me that "you're a liberal atheist, so you probably think all Christians are Republican fascists" crap. :wink:

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:24 AM

Quote:
LOL. Well, that was a fairly unnecessary disclaimer. Having been a member at CF, I already know that there are many non-Republican Christians, so don't give me that "you're a liberal atheist, so you probably think all Christians are Republican fascists" crap. :wink:
Wait a second... but you are a liberal atheist who thinks all Christians are Republican fascists. :P

Just kidding. I thought I'd just mention that because there are some people in the world who see anyone who even slightly defends Bush as being a Republican cronie. Of course, I probably could have given the people of this board the benefit of the doubt instead. Oh well, we live and learn. At least now everyone knows my political affiliation (or lack thereof).
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Tellifying

The biggest problem I have with the "liberal media" claim is that it serves to diminish the public trust in the free press. The free press should be the most powerful tool the public has for keeping politicians honest and dedicated to serving our needs.

By painting the entirety of the press as being a "liberal filter" allows politicians to dismiss any accusation, any investigation and any action by the press. That is not to say that there is no bias in the media. There is and it is far more varied and nuance than the "black & white" picture the politicians would have us believe.

However, this is where critical thinking comes into play. This is where the public needs to be educated in knowing that there is a multitude of resources out there to help form an opinion. But, if the public is simply told "Don't trust the media, trust the politicians"...well, I don't have to spell out the reasons as to why that is wrong.

I don't care which side espouses this bullshit. It's still bullshit. And it does nothing more than consolidate power in the hands of those who are already all too powerful.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Love Bomb

Very good.

Now that we've moved on from there, what do you see is potentially happening with the GOP fundraising in regard to combatting the alleged liberal media? How do you think they'll spend the money raised? Does it raise any red flags for you...etc, etc, etc.

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I don't think the GOP has major news networks in its back pocket. I think the networks are just driven by a richest common denominator impetus which frequently puts them in a craven, empty, vacuous position. Clinton gets a bj = big money. Bush's reasons for war turn out to be horseshit = eh, isn't there a dog who saved a baby from drowning somewhere?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Love Bomb

Thank you, eldar! Good post.

And, natch, I agree.

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
I don't think the GOP has major news networks in its back pocket. I think the networks are just driven by a richest common denominator impetus which frequently puts them in a craven, empty, vacuous position. Clinton gets a bj = big money. Bush's reasons for war turn out to be horseshit = eh, isn't there a dog who saved a baby from drowning somewhere?

Good point. It's a shame networks have allowed themselves to sink so low. And shame on the public for lapping it up and being so apathetic to truth and integrity.

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Tellifying

Quote:
And shame on the public for lapping it up and being so apathetic to truth and integrity.
And that's the other side of the coin, isn't it?

As much as I defended the public in my previous post, I feel the need to lambast them (and us or me) in this post.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how it is the media or Hollywood that corrupts our values. I have no reason to believe that the media or Hollywood would do anything to adversely affect their bottom-line.

They show us what we want to see, to do anything else would be poor business practice.

That's not to diminish the very real affect the media has on our culture, but all too often the public's role as willing consumer is not considered whenever someone attacks the media for being evil.

You don't like it. Turn it off. Change the station. Go see a different movie. If enough of you do that, then the media will stop making it. But, to blame it solely on some monolithic media entity out to subvert your values is a cop-out.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldar
But, to blame it solely on some monolithic media entity out to subvert your values is a cop-out.

Unless they're in the back pocket of the political propaganda spinners! Then they're freedom-hating scumbags with an agenda. Th'bastards! :pms:

~ Ice T ~
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Are you telling me that the White House has the major news networks in its back pocket?
Not in their back pocket so much as cowed into submission. Except for CNN, which IS in the administration's back pocket, and Fox News, which works for them directly.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I would hope so, given that he just went and told his Cabinet not to do this very thing.
I would hope so too. I just don't expect it. Indeed, I'd be utterly floored by it.

Quote:
Quote:
... not all that relevant to the greater issue of the GOP potentially raising cash to make the media even more under the control of the current admin ...
Fox News, certainly.

The others are generally both cowed and, as liv points out, fundamentally about making a buck. Let me just spitball a little, here: Reciting a Master Narrative is cheap for the networks, hence good profit, but it only works if most other sources are on the same page (everyone having mostly the same story is a stable strategy for dividing up the market, after all). If both political parties are equally effective at spinning, the incentive to uncritically recite one party's spin is diminished; another network might settle on the other perspective, and that would create an appearance of disorder and bias on all sides. But if one party is (over some time) even slightly more adept at getting its message into newsreaders' hands, that fact alone provides an extra incentive for everyone to settle on their spin, and not to dig any deeper or rock the boat. It's cost effective, an implicitly cooperative division of the market.

So, while "in its pocket" is an implausibly strong claim, "eating from its hand" might be more defensible. The GOP has been the more effective over the past 10 years -- since well before 2000 -- at getting its spin points straight into the mouths of the punditry and newsreaders, and this provides a self-sustaining business reason (over and above habit!) for the networks to be more congenial to GOP spin. Only in the case of Fox is this plausibly a matter of corruption and partisanship.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
And you believe him? He doesn't exactly have a good track record for telling the truth or keeping his word.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Quote:
I thought he told his cabinet not to hire pundits in the mainstream press to pimp administration programs, while the GOP fundraiser aims to bypass the "liberal media" and get the message directly to the voter. Have I misread something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny
Fox News, certainly.
True that. For some reason, I have this anachronistic tendency to consider CBS, NBC, ABC the major news networks, just because cable isn't officially network TV. That distinction has long since lost dipped into useless semantics, I suspect. Oh well...

Quote:
So, while "in its pocket" is an implausibly strong claim, "eating from its hand" might be more defensible. The GOP has been the more effective over the past 10 years -- since well before 2000 -- at getting its spin points straight into the mouths of the punditry and newsreaders, and this provides a self-sustaining business reason (over and above habit!) for the networks to be more congenial to GOP spin. Only in the case of Fox is this plausibly a matter of corruption and partisanship.
That makes sense to me.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Dave
And you believe him? He doesn't exactly have a good track record for telling the truth or keeping his word.
And which politician does?

Quote:
Not in their back pocket so much as cowed into submission. Except for CNN, which IS in the administration's back pocket...
You're kidding with this right? CNN in the White House's back pocket? Seriously... where was the laughing smiley face that should have accompanied this comment?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
And which politician does?
You have to admit Bush lies far more frequently and far more blatantly than most. Claiming there were ties between Saddam and Al Qaida after the 9/11 commission and the CIA both said publicly there were not is pretty blatant. Then there's the whole WMD thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Not in their back pocket so much as cowed into submission. Except for CNN, which IS in the administration's back pocket...
You're kidding with this right? CNN in the White House's back pocket? Seriously... where was the laughing smiley face that should have accompanied this comment?
CNN=Cheney News Network. They spend 23 hours a day kissing Bush's ass. When was the last time you saw Scott Ritter on one of their pundit fests? Remember their "reporting" on the Pentagon's WMD claims? Remember how they reported, verbatim, the Swift Boat Veterans' claims about Kerry, but never did even a cursory investigation into whether any of those veterans had actually served with Kerry? (It turned out most of them hadn't, some of them hadn't even been in Vietnam at the same time). Did CNN report on the author of the Medicare Prescription bill who immediately left government for a job with a pharmaceutical company? On Rumsfeld facing indictment in a German court for war crimes? On the number of unemployed Iraqis who have lost jobs to foreign contractors? On the widespread employment (at US taxpayer expense) of mercenaries in Iraq?

The kicker for me, though, was the David Letterman flap, where CNN claimed Letterman had faked a tape of a boy yawning at a Bush rally, based solely on the White House's say-so. Furthermore, they made the claim right after they aired the tape: it was obvious they'd received a phone call from the White House telling them to shape up. It turned out, of course, that the tape wasn't faked, but they didn't admit it until Letterman made fun of them.

And notice how all TV news sources, including PBS, and most print sources refer to the Iraqi resistance as "rebels" and "insurgents", coincidentally the exact terms the Pentagon uses.

I agree much of this is due to laziness on the part of reporters and editors and greed on the part of the corporations that own these stations. But some of it seems to be fear of some kind of repercussions from the government if they ask tough questions or report uncomfortable facts.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny
That makes sense to me.

Case in point. See Section III on this page -- another crisp analysis from Bob Somerby.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

This could have gone in Shit Stupid Republicans, but hey!—this old thread is so worth the bumping.

Federal judge pens dissent slamming decades-old press protections - POLITICO

From the link“The increased power of the press is so dangerous today because we are very close to one-party control of these institutions, ... Although the bias against the Republican Party—not just controversial individuals—is rather shocking today, this is not new; it is a long-term, secular trend going back at least to the ’70s….One-party control of the press and media is a threat to a viable democracy.”

ps.
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 16.25.01.png

5896 days. Is that a record? That must be a record!

pps. The topic has most likely meandered from the OP (it hasn't) and some of the participants may no longer be active here (:sadcheer: that is sadly—nay—heartbreakingly true)

Last edited by mickthinks; 03-21-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-23-2021), JoeP (03-21-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-21-2021), lisarea (03-21-2021), Sock Puppet (03-22-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law