Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography

Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default The only regret i have about hiroshima and nagasaki...

was that we couldnt come up with cooler names for the two bombs.

well and on a large timeline i regret nuclear proliferation.

alright adora this is the spot for discussion of the bombs.

ill get to it this afternoon for sure
Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: The only regret i have about hiroshima and nagasaki...

Quote:
Originally Posted by my favorite bitch
You, Bey, like many individuals I get into such conversations with, make the grave mistake that just because one finds the eventual historical actions committed by one side in a war abhorrent, one is laying all blame at their feet

This is a common stance taken by those trying way too hard to defend their shaky position. And I'm not even going to start on your historical inaccuracies.

Point is, I'm not laying all blame for the ending of Japan's part in the war at the feet of the US Army, though their decision was ultimately the one that resulted in the means of the end, which, for your righteous record, I find an evil on-par with the atrocities committed by the Japanese in the war, not because of the death toll but because of the true reasoning behind it. So don't try and pull the pathetic, cheap, and inhumane "They were killing more people than we were" bullshit with me, boyo.
yeah but our killing people with the bombs stopped them from killing people.

us killing germans stopped hitler from rounding up people and putting them in gas chambers.

all actions arent equal. there are real moral consequences for actions including wars

as fucked up as it is, in the real world sometimes nuking two fucking cities is the best strategic and moral option.

and if you think it doesnt matter tell that to the koreans who loved us till recently whole heartedly cuz we saved them twice.

take your the japanese are morally equivalent to the us well the us are probably worse to the chinese where japan was testing plague on real live chinamen.

these things do indeed matter.

stopping the deaths of 100k people a week, over a million a month and avoiding a prolonged invasion with the resulting loss of life is also a very fucking good thing
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM

what do you think the true reasoning behind the dropping of the bomb was?

tactical advantage for the us and hopefully force a surrender???
Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 PM

oh and what historical inaccuracies are you referring to???

by all means lets start.

when a country attacks another county the first country certainly has a right to defend themselves. when the initial aggessor country is violating human rights and the attackee fucks up the aggressor up and ends those human rights violations, i think you definitely get to charge the stopping of the civil rights violatins in the net good column on your whether or not this was moral scorecard.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:40 PM

while i made this thread for adora and/or liv anyone else wno wants to talk to me is of course welcome to stop by and tell me to fuck off
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

fuck off
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (08-12-2007)
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Seriously, I would say that it wasn't necessary, but inevitable, given the mentality of the people at the wheel in politics and the military-scientific complex. They had their big fat throbbing cock out and there wasn't any way they were going to put it away before giving someone a good fuck.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I was under the impression that part of the reasoning was that they didn't want Russia being part of the invasion of Japan, which would mean that Russia's sphere of influence would have been larger and possibly would have resulted in Japan being divided up like Germany.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I was under the impression that part of the reasoning was that they didn't want Russia being part of the invasion of Japan, which would mean that Russia's sphere of influence would have been larger and possibly would have resulted in Japan being divided up like Germany.
i have often seen this argument made only it normally goes like this "the us didnt need to drop the bomb japan was going to surrender anyway and we only dropped the bomb to make a point with russia."

did it play a role in the decision, possibly, but there were real tactical reasons for bombing the two cities and russia wasnt part of the primary reasons for dropping the bomb.

that said it certainly made a hell of a statement.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Seriously, I would say that it wasn't necessary, but inevitable, given the mentality of the people at the wheel in politics and the military-scientific complex. They had their big fat throbbing cock out and there wasn't any way they were going to put it away before giving someone a good fuck.
not necessary? really?

if the bombs werent dropped how do you see the war ending?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
did it play a role in the decision, possibly, but there were real tactical reasons for bombing the two cities and russia wasnt part of the primary reasons for dropping the bomb.
How do you determine the primary reasons? I'm no WWII historian, but I did a bit of brief reading when the subject came up yesterday, and was interested to learn that the Soviets had not only agreed to declare war on Japan at Yalta, but invaded Japan-controlled Manchuria on August 8 - that's after Hiroshima but before Nagasaki. Seems to me the US had a strong interest in a quick capitulation of Japan that had more to do with Russia than with saving lives.

Apparently, one historian has even argued the Soviet invasion was a more important factor in forcing Japan's surrender than the A-bombs were. I'm not capable of judging that claim, but if so even your basic premise that the A-bombs ended the war is questionable.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
not necessary? really?

Ended by the Russians, who didn't have the bomb and didn't give a shit about their own casualties. This would have helped saving American soldiers, but of course that wasn't the point. The priorities list was something like:

1. Power
2. Intimidating the Russkies
3. American soldiers' lives

74. The price of tea in China
75. The lives of Japanese civilians
Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment
How do you determine the primary reasons? I'm no WWII historian, but I did a bit of brief reading when the subject came up yesterday, and was interested to learn that the Soviets had not only agreed to declare war on Japan at Yalta, but invaded Japan-controlled Manchuria on August 8 - that's after Hiroshima but before Nagasaki. Seems to me the US had a strong interest in a quick capitulation of Japan that had more to do with Russia than with saving lives.

Apparently, one historian has even argued the Soviet invasion was a more important factor in forcing Japan's surrender than the A-bombs were. I'm not capable of judging that claim, but if so even your basic premise that the A-bombs ended the war is questionable.
I won't claim that I am a WWII historian either but I have heard the case made about the second bomb especially.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
Quote:

well there is certainly the timeline to consider.

i dont think that it is accepted or true that the japanese surrendered because of russia. it was the obliteration of two cities that caused the surrender. i think that is accepted history.

im not familiar with the historian that you are referring to, do you have a link by any chance?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 PM

as to the necessity of the second bomb in particular, at that point japan had not surrendered and iirc was planning to defend their islands in order to hopefully inflict enough casualties on the us that the us would lose their stomach for the war.

they werent planning on surrendering before the bombs.

we had to show that we could destroy their cities at will*

*they had no way of knowing that we couldnt drop a third bomb
Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
not necessary? really?

Ended by the Russians, who didn't have the bomb and didn't give a shit about their own casualties. This would have helped saving American soldiers, but of course that wasn't the point. The priorities list was something like:

1. Power
2. Intimidating the Russkies
3. American soldiers' lives

74. The price of tea in China
75. The lives of Japanese civilians
so you see multiple invasions by the us and the ruskies????

what kind of death toll and collateral damage do you think that would have entailed?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
i dont think that it is accepted or true that the japanese surrendered because of russia. it was the obliteration of two cities that caused the surrender. i think that is accepted history.

im not familiar with the historian that you are referring to, do you have a link by any chance?
I have heard it argued that the Russian invasion (and the amazing speed of their advances) was the deciding factor on the Discovery Channel if that counts :D
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 PM

:dddp:

Last edited by beyelzu; 08-12-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM

for the record what i know about hiroshima and nagasaki i learned at ii, both the arguments made there and assorted links, and i owe a thanks to vork for making so many posts about the subject.

you might want to check out his blog on the subject

http://michaelturton.blogspot.com/20...ime-again.html
Kyuss Apollo (08-13-2007)
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 PM

help i have no idea why my post shows the whole page it was just supposed to be a link
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
mesospheric bore

The historian was a mention on a wiki page. I'm not reading too much into it - could be some inaccurate piece of revisionism that some random threw in during an edit war. That said, given that some factions of the Japanese Government were aiming for a negotiated surrender whereby Japan held onto some territory outside of Japan, I think we can at least agree that the invasion of Manchuria was a factor in making that position less tenable.

Also, I've run into enough people who seem to think the US was the major factor in the defeat of Nazi Germany to make me a little suspicious of "accepted history" in the English-speaking world. I'm throwing this stuff up not because I think it's right, but because I want better sources before I consider the opposing position to be right.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Fishy mokey

There is also the top of that blog page at the top of this page

Very weird
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
mesospheric bore

bey, that's a bug in the link parsing. You'll have to edit the junk out and make it [ url=xxxxd ] my link [ /url ]
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (08-12-2007)
Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 PM

any idea why it does that fragment?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
There is also the top of that blog page at the top of this page

Very weird
maybe that was cuz im part of the html group, dunno but it seems fixed to me now

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography