Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 02-24-2023, 07:54 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Default Re: One of those 'Wat'cha Listenin' To?' threads.

Yugoslavia had a pretty bangin' new wave scene:

Singer was 17-18 here and went on to some other electronica projects. Died of a heart attack in 2004 at 37. My guess is some pretty awesome cocaine.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:29 AM
Counter

:news:

I heard Yugoslavia had a new wave scene that was pretty bangin' :unnod:
Ensign Steve (03-03-2023), Stephen Maturin (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 03:09 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Wait until you hear about Dutch electronic dance music!

Thanks, from:
Pan Narrans (02-26-2023), Stephen Maturin (02-24-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 02:51 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Fresh Schiller:

Fresh VNV Nation:

Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:36 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Get a box of tissues, then sit down and strap in for this one. It’s nine and a half minutes long. The length isn’t the reason you need to strap in, though; you’ll be too busy dealing with a heavy emotional reaction from it.

(content warning: frank discussion of thoughts of self-loathing, self-harm, suicide, etc., plus other physical and mental health issues. This video has an ultimately positive message, but it shouldn’t be a replacement for actual therapy.)

So, I’d never heard of Ren until a few weeks ago. This track features just his voice and acoustic guitar, and its video was recorded in a single take along with the audio. He’s not lip-synching; you can clearly see the mic setup at one point near the end, which I won’t spoil because it deserves to be experienced for itself.

I must’ve listened to this track at least two dozen times in the past two days alone, and every single time, it hits me like a goddamn Mack truck. It’s easily one of the most powerful performances I’ve seen in any medium and one of the most important pieces of art produced this decade¹.

I’ll spoiler tag the rest of my discussion of this track. Watch the video before you open the spoiler.

¹The only other musical work I’ve encountered from this decade that I’d consider to be of comparable importance, for very different reasons, is Ashenspire’s Hostile Architecture. I’ve written a lengthy exegesis of that album that the band themselves liked enough to link on the blue bird site and the Faceplace, which I’ll link to eventually.

(Sorry for these being in reverse order, but the second footnote needed to be within the spoiler tag.)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
JoeP (02-27-2023), LarsMac (02-27-2023), Stephen Maturin (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:41 AM
Solipsist

+1 for use of footnotes¹.

I will have to watch the video later² though.

¹ Not enough people use footnotes.

² For a sufficiently large value of later.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 02-28-2023, 03:51 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Quote:
¹ Not enough people use footnotes.
I agree.²

Album of the decade just came in.

As promised, here’s the link to my lengthy exegesis of the album. The band had this to say in response:

I can’t recommend this album highly enough to people that like metal.

³GNU Terry Pratchett

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (02-28-2023), Stephen Maturin (02-28-2023), viscousmemories (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 08:31 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

We just saw Stick Men at a little shitkicker bar, and it was predictably superb. Markus Reuter, who plays a guitar of his own design and manufacture that works like a Chapman Stick, is a veritable toddler (age 50) compared to the musicians we usual see in concert. Drummer Pat Mastelotto of King Crimson and Mr. Mister fame, is 67 and still getting better somehow. Tony Levin is a freak of nature. He's 76, and when this Stick Men tour ends a few nights hence, he'll be heading off for rehearsals and a European tour with Peter Gabriel.

They did two hours of original material interspersed with some King Crimson favorites (Red, Larks Tongues in Aspic part 2, The Sheltering Sky, Level 5) and a tune from one of Robert Fripp's solo albums.

Later this week we've got Polish prog/metal band Riverside. They're basically newborn infants (the keyboard player is only 40, ffs).

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (03-01-2023), viscousmemories (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 12:21 PM
Admin

That opening reminded me of Jerry Was a Race Car Driver by Primus (albeit I had to Google it.)
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-03-2023), Stephen Maturin (03-02-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:02 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-19-2023), Pan Narrans (03-28-2023), Stephen Maturin (03-08-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 02:42 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Hey Matlock, if you haven't heard these guys before, maybe this can help speed your recovery.

The album this track appears on consists mostly of "feat. X" tunes, even -- somehow -- progressive hip-hop. (My favorite feat.'er on there is Sophia Black.) This one, though, is pure instrumental magic, with Steve Goddamned Vai feat.'ing.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-10-2023), JoeP (03-19-2023), Stephen Maturin (03-11-2023), viscousmemories (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Gad DAMN. That is straight up spectacular! Thanks for the heads-up, Sock! Who would have suspected that Plano, TX could produce something like that.

My concert buddy from work and I saw Riverside last weekend, and it was predictably amazing. What a top-notch concert band! Was supposed to be doors at 7:00, shows at 8:00. I got there at 7:00 only to find that the band got delayed by snow-related road closures. The band categorically refused to cancel (they had to cancel a show here last year) but things were bigly delayed. Standing in line, we saw the bus and gear trailer arrive. Everyone busted their ass to get everything set up and soundchecked, and opening act came on around 9:30. The venue has no seats, so I spent over 5 hours on my feet. Didn't think my aged and infirmed joints were capable of that, so I was feeling like quite the badass until Tuesday morning when I ate it on an icy sidewalk. *Poof* Instant pathetic old man once again.

Anyhoo, the point is that Riverside is the shit:

The opening act was two guys from a Chicago-based quartet called The Cyberiam. If I get a chance to see the entire band someday, I'll definitely do it.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-13-2023), JoeP (03-19-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-11-2023), Sock Puppet (03-13-2023), viscousmemories (03-12-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 01:36 PM
Solipsist

For no discernible reason, I've been listening to bardcore. In particualr Hildegaard von Blingin' (:sniggle:) and Algal the Bard.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-24-2023), Ensign Steve (03-23-2023), Sock Puppet (03-23-2023), Stephen Maturin (03-23-2023), viscousmemories (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Admin

When I haven't been listening to "Welcome to the Internet" by Bo Burnham on YouTube or Amazon Music (on repeat), or singing it with the new karaoke machine I bought largely for that purpose, it has been looping in my head. It's an earworm for sure, but also does such an amazing job of capturing so many of my thoughts and feelings about the evolution of the Internet. It's literally playing in the background of my head as I write this.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 05:16 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

In the 1980s, the Yes lineup consisting of Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White, Tony Kaye and Trevor Rabin was making music substantially different from that of the 1970s lineups. In 1989, Anderson wanted to get back to the band's roots. He teamed up with three members of the classic 70s lineup in the relatively short lived Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. The amazing Tony Levin played bass for the band on this tour, but unfortunately was not available on the night they did this concert recording.

For anyone who's interested, there's a ton of superb stuff on Bill Bruford's YouTube channel.

Thanks, from:
ceptimus (03-27-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-16-2023), Sock Puppet (03-27-2023), viscousmemories (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 06:05 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

In honor of Diana Ross's birthday:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-27-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-16-2023), LarsMac (03-26-2023), Sock Puppet (03-27-2023), viscousmemories (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:35 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
In the 1980s, the Yes lineup consisting of Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White, Tony Kaye and Trevor Rabin was making music substantially different from that of the 1970s lineups. In 1989, Anderson wanted to get back to the band's roots. He teamed up with three members of the classic 70s lineup in the relatively short lived Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. The amazing Tony Levin played bass for the band on this tour, but unfortunately was not available on the night they did this concert recording.

For anyone who's interested, there's a ton of superb stuff on Bill Bruford's YouTube channel.

ABWH - And You And I (Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA 1989) - YouTube
I was there!!! Great show.

ETA: Jeff Berlin subbed for Tony Levin that night. Berlin was an enemy-of-a-friend. "How did he do Heart of the Sunrise? Dude can't play with a pick!" Said friend was known to exaggerate, and in fact Berlin played fine that night. However, I did see a pre-show interview wherein he was a complete dick, bragging about how quickly he learned all of the material.

:sockpuppet:...........

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 03-27-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (03-27-2023), viscousmemories (03-28-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:11 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

When Gov't Mule covers your song, it's no longer truly yours.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (04-16-2023), LarsMac (04-14-2023), viscousmemories (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 12:26 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Gavin Harrison doesn't do much at all with his YouTube channel, but when he does it's gold.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (04-16-2023), Sock Puppet (04-17-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 07:13 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Fresh Faderhead dropped

Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (04-16-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:53 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (04-22-2023), viscousmemories (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Sometime in the mid-1970s a buddy and I saw a show that opened with The Outlaws and closed with headliner Lynyrd Skynyrd. Sandwiched between the two Southern rock bands was Golden Earring, a band I knew from the massive airplay Radar Love got, and otherwise didn't know at all.

Golden Earring damn near stole the entire show. Turns out they were a superb concert band, thanks in no small measure to the criminally underappreciated drummer Cesar Zuiderwijk. He was young and strong back then, but here he is in 2015, still tearing it up at age 67.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (04-22-2023), LarsMac (04-22-2023), Sock Puppet (04-24-2023), viscousmemories (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 01:17 PM
Admin

I think my first exposure to Golden Earring as a ute was via Twilight Zone when I was looking for The Twilight Zone by Rush.
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-24-2023), Stephen Maturin (04-24-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:06 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

There's very little live footage of Robert Fripp's short-lived League of Gentlemen project, which also featured keyboard man Barry Andrews (XTC, Shriekback) and bassist Sara Lee (B-52s, Indigo Girls, Gang of Four), but here's some!

Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 02:39 AM
here to bore you with pictures

The Boulet Brother's "Halfway to Halloween" special featured Twin Temple:

I like this better, but it's also NSFW:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature