Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Default Re: Global warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
The report undeniably shows that the globe really is warming up, and that there are strong correlations between various human activity and that increasing temurature.
There's a lot more than this. People spend a lot of time working out how pumping vast quantities of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere will affect the climate. They show that it will do pretty much what is being observed.

So, we have not just correlation, but a well understood mechanism. It's hardly a matter of debate as to whether humanity's contribution is significant (though it of course may not be the sole reason).

Last edited by Dragar; 02-03-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamandham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti View Post
What fabrication? Your own statements are right there in the second quote box.

Agenda exists => the agenda seeks a greater concentration of power => therefore, merits increased skepticism.

Looks like a pretty straightforward claim to me. You're simply being asked to defend it.
What you've stated is the basic position, but that isn't what I was asked to defend.

What I was asked to defend, was this

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing your specific evidence that the IPCC reached its conclusions out of an agenda for a greater concentration of power.
That's the basis of your claim that you were disingenuously misrepresented?

Huh.

Okay. Let me rephrase: I'd be interested in seeing your specific evidence that the IPCC spun its conclusions out of an agenda for a greater concentration of power.

Quote:
I've decided I'm wrong, and you are all right, so I'm stepping out of this thread.
You don't actually seem to have decided that, really. You seem to be flouncing off rather than justifying your claims of an agenda for greater power and explaining how this agenda came, to your mind, to influence the IPCC.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Fishy mokey

In the news:
Quote:
Born to die: Climate change disrupting life cycles with fatal results

The behaviour of Britain's wildlife is raising alarm about the seriousness of climate change as animals' breeding patterns are thrown into confusion. The second mildest winter on record has resulted in mammals, reptiles, birds and insects emerging from shelter far too early.

They are getting caught out by cold snaps or wet weather and the young of many species are dying. Baby hedgehogs, baby squirrels, even baby grass snakes are being found in distress in many places.
The Independent

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Polar bears, sea ice and global warming are taboo subjects, at least in public, for some U.S. scientists attending meetings abroad, environmental groups and a top federal wildlife official said Thursday.

Environmental activists called this scientific censorship, which they said was in line with the Bush administration's history of muzzling dissent over global climate change.
CNN

Quote:
European Union leaders have agreed to adopt a binding target on the use of renewable energy, such as wind and solar power, officials say.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said Europe was now able to lead the way on climate change.

The 27 EU states will each decide how they contribute to meeting a 20% boost overall in renewable fuel use by 2020.

The measures could include a ban on filament light bulbs by 2010, forcing people to switch to fluorescent bulbs.

The bulbs last longer but more are more expensive to buy.

In another key measure, agreed on Thursday, EU leaders said they would cut carbon dioxide emissions by 20% from 1990 levels by 2020.
BBC News
Old 10-23-2022, 01:58 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
yguy, I suggest you wait ten years and see if you change your mind.

If that does happen, then you'll realise that the people you are criticizing now were just faster than you to recognise the situation.

If you don't change your mind after ten years, then we can continue the debate.
:yup:
Old 11-16-2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy View Post
I see that a certain member of the :ff: Fruitcake Fringe has posted a couple of news items relating to the subject. If you're not a member of the :ff:FF - which includes watser, sauron and jackdog - I'm interested to hear why you believe either of the following:

1. The mean temperature of the biosphere is increasing.

2. Said increase is caused by human activity.

Spare me your assurances that most scientific authorities claim to believe it. I don't care about that. I want to know what you know about the subject, and why these clamis make sense to you.

I didn't think you were that stupid. Human caused global warming is a reality.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:53 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Ooooh, attention seeking behaviour from an idiot. :popcorn:

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 02:37 AM
Forum gadfly

Music Re: Global warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy
I want to know what you know about the subject, and why these clamis make sense to you.
What I know about the subject?

I haven't done any research directly. All I know about the topic is what other people have found, and published in journals.
I was exactly the same in the month of December 2009

I was so concerned about global warming (based on experts and politicians telling me what to believe) that I did not one, but two white roof projects. In case you are in the dark about that, it' a way of reducing the extreme amount of heating from asphalt roofs and all the dark asphalt roads and parking lots.

Turning roofs and roads and parking lots white has a drastic cooling effect, and also reduces AC energy used, especially in hot climate regions.

Didn't cost that much, but was a fuckton of work.

Works quite well. Reduced the temperature on a summer day from 145F to basically air temperature.

Anyone who has been on the middle of a large asphalt parking lot, with not a tree or other shade source in sight, knows exactly how fucking hot it makes the air above the asphalt.

It was the stolen emails that got me interested enough to do my own research, because once I waded into the absolute shitshow of arguments over climate change/global warming, I pretty much came to the conclusion there was waaaay more than a scientific inquiry to reach an understanding of climate, climate change, weather station sites, proxy measurements of past Temperature, and on and on yada yada yada

Almost 13 years later, I don't regret doing my own research in any way. Fuck all the rhetoric and woke politics and big money propaganda, and all the other bullshit I found.

It's exactly like the old folksy story. About the two golfers at the 19th hole, watching another golfer getting ready to tee off.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 11-16-2022, 03:52 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Ooooh, attention seeking behaviour from an idiot. :popcorn:

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 04:29 AM
Forum gadfly

Kamilah Hauptmann
Total Posts: 15,008
Posts Per Day: 6.16

-FX-
Total Posts: 217
Posts Per Day: 0.05

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 11-16-2022, 04:34 AM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
weather station sites
I doubt the data from these are any more suspect than those from tide measurements.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:15 AM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
Quote:
weather station sites
I doubt the data from these are any more suspect than those from tide measurements.
It seems like far too many are retreating to fortresses built of their existing political biases, rather than seeking to analyze and understand and plan responses in a rational manner, based on the actual evidence at hand.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 11-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

[quote=-FX-;1377808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post

It seems like far too many are retreating to fortresses built of their existing political biases, rather than seeking to analyze and understand and plan responses in a rational manner, based on the actual evidence at hand.
We finally seem to agree on something.

Having said that, ...

fastcompany.com

So covering your roof with solar panels might prove to be more effective way to deal with "Global Warming."
Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
So covering your roof with solar panels might prove to be more effective way to deal with "Global Warming."
If you also bury the power lines, have battery backup, AND plan for flooding and build your roofs strong enough, it also is a great way to deal with hurricanes

- Richard P. Feynman
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 04:36 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
If you also bury the power lines, have battery backup, AND plan for flooding and build your roofs strong enough, it also is a great way to deal with hurricanes
True enough. Not to mention Tornadoes, Blizzards, Nuclear war, and maybe even Earthquakes. ;)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:23 AM
Forum gadfly

Earthquakes is a different story. Nuclear war, none of that is going to help.

- Richard P. Feynman

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences