Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
So, let's get back on topic! Remember, we are not arguing standard vision is correct. We are asking if your counterexample has ever actually occured and ruled out standard vision.

You claim that we may fail to see a plane (or rather, no image is formed on our retinas, since they are a little different), even though light reaches our eyes. That's your assertion peacegirl. You offer no evidence for it. Can you give an example of when such a thing has ever happened? No, you can't.
I'm saying that if we see a plane --- it is not the light being reflected that is striking our eyes with the image of the plane in those wavelengths...we are seeing the actual plane due to light's presence.
No, peacegirl. You are saying those things, but that's not what we've been talking about. Read what you've written that started our sojourn into this topic:

"If only light counted, why do we not get an image from an airplane that has no interruptions, or from an object that is slightly out of the visual field, but in direct line with it?"

This part is what we're discussing. Please, focus.

Now, do you have evidence for this claim? Or not? Because I think you have none, and Lessans made it up. He made it up because he thought he was right, and this claim follows if he was right. He then used that fact in support of his rightness.
No Dragar, that's what you're doing, not him. You believe that you have enough evidence to prove afferent vision, but where is it? I don't want to discuss Space until there is proof on Earth. It is so obvious to me (because I'm not in denial) that we don't see an airplane until it comes into our visual field even though we hear it that it's actually humorous that you can't see this. We know that the airplane is close by because we hear it, but it must come into our visual range for it to be resolved. The airplane is not seen due to the reflection of the airplane striking our eyes. We are seeing the actual airplane in real time due to light's presence. Please do not tell me I'm wrong, because then I'll begin to think you're worse than a fundie.
I asked, do you have evidence for this claim? The claim being:

"If only light counted, why do we not get an image from an airplane that has no interruptions, or from an object that is slightly out of the visual field, but in direct line with it?"

Something you have repeated time and time again as an argument against standard vision.

By your complete refusal to answer, I am assuming you do not have any evidence. In the future, when you undoudbtedly make this claim again, we can refer to this post to demonstrate you have zero evidence for. You're just making it up, like Lessans.

I made no mention of space, and specifically said we were not talking about space, nor about proving standard vision.

I specifically said, "Remember, we are not arguing standard vision is correct." You responded "You believe that you have enough evidence to prove afferent vision," the exact opposite of what I said. Why?

Even worse, you then said "We know that the airplane is close by because we hear it, but it must come into our visual range for it to be resolved." As Spacemonkey said, that's an explanation for why you might not be able to see a plane in standard vision, not your crazy vision. You have no explanation for why we can't see objects that aren't 'in our visual field' (whatever that even means!). Because you have no mechanism, and no model. Just catchprases and buzzwords you've stolen and used dishonestly.

Tell us, peacegirl, what does resolved actually mean and why does something need to be in our 'visual field' before it can be 'resolved'?

Quote:
How am I disputing optics when optics is supportive of efferent vision.
You are disputing it when I said:

"...[the size of an image is determined by size of the object, distance] and any changes to the path light takes along the way (such as in a telescope, or an eye)."

And you responded with:

"This is an assertion and you can't just state this as if it is true without proof."

Thereby taking issue with optics. Why did you just lie about this? Did you even understand what you were objecting to?

Quote:
Field of view or visual range makes a lot of sense...
Then what's "visual range" mean, peacegirl? Because we've repeatedly asked for a definition, we've explained the various nuances of why such a range might and might not exist depending on your definition, and you've ignored each one. Once you said it meant 'can be seen'. In which case your sole "counter example" to standard vision is purely "Why can't we see what we can't see?". You then started to deny that was what it meant, but refused to supply a proper meaning. So what does it mean?

Last edited by Dragar; 02-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2012), But (02-02-2012), LadyShea (02-01-2012), Spacemonkey (02-02-2012), Stephen Maturin (02-02-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
I don't want to discuss Space until there is proof on Earth.
You nasty little liar, you have already been given the proof, repeatedly, of delayed-time seeing right here on earth. Moreover, even if such proof did not exist, the fact that we can prove it at celestial distances means it also holds for earth distances since we know the laws of physics are the same everywhere.

:lol:

Pathetic little liar.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Stop talking #*$* about Lessans. I thought it was Dragar speaking.

Oh, pretend profanity, much like pretend ignore, but short. - '6' -
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

You can cuss here, peacegirl. Why are you self bleeping, what's the purpose?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You're totally wrong LadyShea, and I really don't care what you think. You've become the big wheel in this thread, and every example you've thrown at me proves nothing. Not one.

The whole idea that light carrying the image as it interacts with matter (you should know what I mean by now) implies that we would be able to see distant events that happened on Earth if we were far enough away, and as the light reached our telescopes. That is the biggest error science has ever made.

That one is sort of Ho-Hum, maybe a - '2' - or a - '3' -?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Please do not tell me I'm wrong, because then I'll begin to think you're worse than a fundie.
Even though you said 'please' I'm still going to tell you 'you are wrong', because you are, and you are acting like a fundie.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
It has occurred to me on more than one occasion that I could easily -- easily -- put together a website that "looks legit" to the scientifically illiterate and sell all sorts of bogus claims.

I could probably get filthy rich doing so. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Not everyone has such qualms.
I am so offended by your comment, I don't know what to say.
Why are you offended? Do you have some reason for thinking that his observation applies to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
He said you can easily see satellites going overhead with the naked eye. and explained how satellites are way further away than any airplane yet can still be seen

What are you talking about GPS for?
It is kind of like a keyword search conducted by a really crappy search engine. She reads a keyword like "satellite" and up pops "GPS" because the two words have been associated in some previous conversations .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Nothing can be proved to a delusional person.
That is just an assertion. Where is your proof?

Quote:
You've simply hijacked the afferent explanation and applied it within your own non-model where, by no longer involving the travelling light, 'resolution' no longer means what it did before and becomes just another magical process.
I am pretty sure that she was referring to (p)resolution in that post.
Spacemonkey (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

So, give me a number. How far away would, say, a 747 have to be to be out of my "visual range," even though there's a direct, unobstructed sightline between me and it?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
So, give me a number. How far away would, say, a 747 have to be to be out of my "visual range," even though there's a direct, unobstructed sightline between me and it?

Well I can see my 747 it's sitting right here on my desk. Perhaps Peacegril's fell down behind her desk where she can still hear it when she accadently kicks it but can't see it. Peacegirl, just look for the word 'Swingline' on the top.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
The fact that the light (P) passes through the lens (which you're trying to imply that this automatically makes Lessans wrong) somehow means that it can't be instant.
The fact that light passes through the lens necessarily means that the effect cannot be instantaneous. "Passes through" implies that the thing which is making the passage (in this case photons/light) is moving. Movement takes place over time. In this case, since we are talking about the passage of light, then the time it takes to make that passage cannot be greater than the speed of light. The movement of light, while it is very, very fast, is not instantaneous.

If, by (P) passes, you mean to say that the light gets from one side of the lens to other side instantaneously, then you cannot claim that it is passing through the lens. If the effect is instanteous, then the light must be bypassing the lens. Is that what you mean be (P) passes, that it bypasses the lens? Because, if that is what you mean, then the presence or absence of a lens is irrelevant, since a lens that is being bypassed is not doing anything.
LadyShea (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:

Well I can see my 747 it's sitting right here on my desk. Perhaps Peacegril's fell down behind her desk where she can still hear it when she accadently kicks it but can't see it. Peacegirl, just look for the word 'Swingline' on the top.
Mine is a 747xx. So there!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The fact that the light (P) passes through the lens (which you're trying to imply that this automatically makes Lessans wrong) somehow means that it can't be instant.
The fact that light passes through the lens necessarily means that the effect cannot be instantaneous. "Passes through" implies that the thing which is making the passage (in this case photons/light) is moving. Movement takes place over time. In this case, since we are talking about the passage of light, then the time it takes to make that passage cannot be greater than the speed of light. The movement of light, while it is very, very fast, is not instantaneous.

If, by (P) passes, you mean to say that the light gets from one side of the lens to other side instantaneously, then you cannot claim that it is passing through the lens. If the effect is instanteous, then the light must be bypassing the lens. Is that what you mean be (P) passes, that it bypasses the lens? Because, if that is what you mean, then the presence or absence of a lens is irrelevant, since a lens that is being bypassed is not doing anything.
She is visualizing something without having any idea whether this works, which it doesn't. What she wants is to get us to see that mental picture.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (02-02-2012), LadyShea (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
She is visualizing something without having any idea whether this works, which it doesn't. What she wants is to get us to see that mental picture.
My husband does that. He can have a model in his head that he can turn and twist and look at from all angles, but cannot explain to others very well. He always has to draw it for me or make a little model. His stuff usually works though.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine is a 747xx. So there!

No fair! you looked on the bottom. BTW so is mine.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
My husband does that. He can have a model in his head that he can turn and twist and look at from all angles, but cannot explain to others very well. He always has to draw it for me or make a little model. His stuff usually works though.
I've done the same thing but having been a draftsman and been qualified to teach it, I can usually visualize things before and after I draw it. Once I built a coal bin, drew a sketch of it first, and after it was built my wife looked at me and said, "You knew what it would look like from the begining" and she was right I had a mental image of it and it turned out just as I had pictured it.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU? It was an accurate observation. I have remarkable reasoning abilities and am well ahead of my time. There is evidence, but it will require further testing by future scientists who will one day vindicate my claim. Don't weasel, Angakuk. Answer me! I've had about all I can take of your closed-mindedness. I'm leaving this forum forever, and not coming back until tomorrow. :fuming:
Angakuk (02-02-2012), But (02-02-2012), LadyShea (02-02-2012), Pan Narrans (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU? It was an accurate observation. I have remarkable reasoning abilities and am well ahead of my time. There is evidence, but it will require further testing by future scientists who will one day vindicate my claim. Don't weasel, Angakuk. Answer me! I've had about all I can take of your closed-mindedness. I'm leaving this forum forever, and not coming back until tomorrow. :fuming:
WOW! thats got to be - '10' - out of - '10' -.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well its about time. I was beginning to think that you would never leave.
Spacemonkey (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well its about time. I was beginning to think that you would never leave.

See ya tomorrow.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
They reasoned that since it takes longer for the sound from an
airplane to reach us when 15,000 feet away than when 5000; and
since it takes longer for light to reach us the farther it is away when
starting its journey, light and sound must function alike in other
respects — which is false — although it is true that the farther away
we are from the source of sound the fainter it becomes, as light
becomes dimmer when its source is farther away. If the sound from
a plane even though we can’t see it on a clear day will tell us it is in
the sky, why can’t we see the plane if an image is being reflected
towards the eye on the waves of light?
I am also not sure what the hell he is trying to say here. He seems to imply that there are cases when you can hear an airplane, but are somehow unable to see it even though there is nothing blocking your line of sight to it.

Which is not the case unless you are simply looking in the wrong direction. More hilarious bumbling from the master here!

I think perhaps what he was trying to say is: how come we sometimes see a plane in one place, and hear the sound in another? The answer would simply be: because light is a LOT faster than sound.

Either way it is pretty idiotic, and a clear example of how just a LITTLE bit of actual study, or even just checking if claims are correct by simple every-day observations would have prevented hugely embarrassing mistakes like these.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (02-02-2012), LadyShea (02-02-2012), Spacemonkey (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I gave a link to a whole kit with lenses, prisms, filters, etc. I have been suggesting she play with lenses for months now.
What is the point of doing this exercise when this isn't related to the discussion? It feels like another strawman to me.

How do prisms work:

They refract light as the light enters through one side of the prism, at a certain angle, the glass that the prism is made of, decreases the speed of light. And so it bends. Then it hits the other face and emerges out, and that is when the dispersion happens and the white light splits into the spectrum of seven colours

Read more: How does a prism work
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The computer acting as a lens is not using an actual lens taking the photograph.
What exactly is it you think the lens does?
I know that the computer acting as a lens is not using an actual lens in the photograph, but something has to focus the light. Pinhole cameras don't have an actual lens either but the pinhole acts as a lens so that a photograph can be taken. It fills in for the lens.
Neither the empty space in a pinhole camera, nor the computer in this example, focus the light. Try again?
A pinhole camera forms images on film by using a very small aperture in place of a
photographic lens. Its extremely small aperture and simple geometry give it extraordinary
depth of field. A pinhole lens gives sharper average focus over extreme changes in
object distance, although an ordinary lens gives a sharper image for objects within its
more limited focus range.

http://www.huecandela.com/hue-x/pin-...%20Wellman.pdf
Great, you can use Google, another way you weasel away rather than admit you're wrong.

You said:

"I know that the computer acting as a lens is not using an actual lens in the photograph, but something has to focus the light."

Neither the empty space in a pinhole camera, nor the computer in this example, focus the light. Try again?
I was wrong in that instance. Do you actually think this negates Lessans' claim of efferent vision? It's amazing how people have lost sight of what this is about.
Great. So are you going to stop using a lens as some magical placeholder in your theory of vision now? You don't need a lens to make an image. Stop claiming you do.
Fine. You need the object which requires a connection between data (the object) and light. If there's no connection between data (substance) and light, THERE IS NO IMAGE.
What kind of "connection"? Connected by what? Connected how?
This lenseless technology doesn't change the fact that the laser is interacting instantly with microscopic matter. That is the connection which then gets translated onto a computer read-out. Nothing changes.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I gave a link to a whole kit with lenses, prisms, filters, etc. I have been suggesting she play with lenses for months now.
Instead she wants to come here and play with us?
I don't call this playing. I call this torture. :(
Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
laser is interacting instantly with microscopic matter.
That is categorically impossible. A laser is nothing but a bundle of light that is emitted in a straight line in stead of in a widening arc. Therefore it cannot interact instantly - it is limited by the speed of light.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Instead she wants to come here and play with us?
I don't call this playing. I call this torture. :(
But you still come here 'of your own free will'.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy