Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 09-15-2022, 11:59 PM
angry white woman

Default The Southern Border: what is the deal

I have opinions about this, many expressed right here. WHY is it such a debate? The borders are about as secure as Jeffery Epstiens cell. It feels like an elephant in the room. As you can review, my biggest concern is drugs. And while many agree, they’re not willing to talk about the Southern border.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:05 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Default Re: The Southern Border: what is the deal

brown people coming to replace you :crossfingers:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), erimir (09-16-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 02:34 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Are you going to send me to the anus forum?
Old 09-16-2022, 04:32 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
For a group of people who can pull off being simultaneously stealin' our jerbs and too lazy to work, replacing my old lily-white ass will be child's play.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), ChuckF (09-16-2022), Crumb (09-16-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), LarsMac (10-18-2022), mickthinks (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:38 PM
angry white woman

I’m not worried about the brown people so much as the drugs. As I have stated in the epidemic thread. Or thradd.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:51 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

There are more border agents than at any/almost any point in US history.

There is more border wall than at any* point in US history.

What exactly is it that you think isn't being done? Has any of it ever been done in US history? How much is it going to cost? Is it cost-effective? Are there other ways to address the drug problem? Is Mexico the primary way fentanyl gets into the US?

I haven't seen any evidence that the border is easier to smuggle drugs across (for any particular drug - some drugs are easier to smuggle than others) than it has been in the past. The main thing I see brought up by Republicans is pointing out cases where drugs are seized by the authorities, and what large amounts they were. But of course, if the drugs were seized, it's precisely because the borders aren't "open"! That's why they were caught!

The other issue there is that fentanyl is more potent by volume than many types of drugs. It's easier to smuggle a few ounces of fentanyl than it is to smuggle bags of marijuana, which is both less dense and requires a larger amount per "serving". Fentanyl is simply easier to conceal. (Marijuana smuggling has also dwindled down to almost nothing due to the legalization of weed in many US states.)

Your argument is that since fentanyl is easier to conceal, we need to do what... double, triple the size of the border patrol when it's already larger than it's ever been? Shut down the border, even though we engage in over $660 billion worth of trade between the US and Mexico?

Do you suppose that there might be more cost-effective ways of addressing the fentanyl problem than trying to stop anyone from bringing a tiny vial of powder across the border, when millions of Mexicans and Americans cross the border legally hundreds of millions of times every year?

*Okay, some of the wall that Trump put up was very shit quality, and has fallen down, corroded and fallen apart, or otherwise easily been compromised, so it might be slightly less than peak wall.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-16-2022), beyelzu (10-18-2022), Crumb (09-16-2022), It's Me! (09-18-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022), viscousmemories (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:10 PM
angry white woman

I'm mad at Trump for not putting up a quality wall when he first took office. That promise won him the election and he said fuck you to everyone who voted for him. Personally I think he should have been impeached for THAT. Not whatever butt fuck reason that he was. So, yes, I think a wall would be effective.

The drugs, fentanyl and other things arent just coming across in boxes or whatever. There is a whole operation, or was there for a while, where Mexican residents were traveling through, setting up cell sites, making friends with their customers and then were going back home to send another crew up. That's the rudimentary explanation. And I get my information from and investigative author Sam Quiniones.
Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:16 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

It boggles the mind that we have a fatal drug epidemic around a substance with an easy to use and extremely effective antidote available. Narcan is easy to use, shove it up their nose, they won’t mind, and spray. They might mind later, but they won’t be dead.

If only drug consumption wasn’t such a taboo subject and any attempt to address it in a meaningful way gets shot down, or else we could be making sure that people have a sober buddy with a powerful antidote in their pocket, and Fentanyl wouldn’t be so scary.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), ChuckF (09-16-2022), Crumb (09-16-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), Miss Shelby (09-16-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022), viscousmemories (09-17-2022), Zehava (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:21 PM
angry white woman

My buddy Sam is is very pro narcan. its still way more complicated than that.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:56 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
*Okay, some of the wall that Trump put up was very shit quality, and has fallen down, corroded and fallen apart, or otherwise easily been compromised, so it might be slightly less than peak wall.
At least Mexico paid for it
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-16-2022), erimir (09-17-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), Sock Puppet (09-16-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022), viscousmemories (09-17-2022), Zehava (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 08:39 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

lol

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), JoeP (09-16-2022), slimshady2357 (09-17-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022), viscousmemories (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 08:48 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Every time a southern U.S. border discussion crops up, I can't help but think of thankfully-dead Nixon era criminal Chuck Colson, who once upon a time conjoined two favorite "conservative" issues in a single neat, tidy package (well, maybe not so neat or tidy) by saying on his radio program that but for the evils of abortion, we'd have a slave labor force 40 million strong and wouldn't need those dirty ol' Messicans to pick our crops.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:01 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Every time a southern U.S. border discussion crops up, I can't help but think of thankfully-dead Nixon era criminal Chuck Colson, who once upon a time conjoined two favorite "conservative" issues in a single neat, tidy package (well, maybe not so neat or tidy) by saying on his radio program that but for the evils of abortion, we'd have a slave labor force 40 million strong and wouldn't need those dirty ol' Messicans to pick our crops.
That's horrid! I'd like to hear a snippet of that broadcast.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:59 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
two favorite "conservative" issues in a single neat, tidy package (well, maybe not so neat or tidy) by saying on his radio program that but for the evils of abortion, we'd have a slave labor force 40 million strong and wouldn't need those dirty ol' Messicans to pick our crops.
hm, I count 3 favorite conservative issues there.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), erimir (09-17-2022), Stephen Maturin (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 11:27 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
If only drug consumption wasn’t such a taboo subject and any attempt to address it in a meaningful way gets shot down, or else we could be making sure that people have a sober buddy with a powerful antidote in their pocket, and Fentanyl wouldn’t be so scary.
It's almost, almost as if drugs are not really the target in the war on "drugs".

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-16-2022), Zehava (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 11:35 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
It's almost, almost as if drugs are not really the target in the war on "drugs".
A whole album about this shit in 1989:

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
fragment (09-19-2022), JoeP (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 12:31 PM
Admin

Quote:
thankfully-dead Nixon era criminal Chuck Colson
Whoa, that name brings me back. Before your post I only knew about Chuck Colson from reading this as a child:

787053.jpg
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:53 PM
angry white woman

Well thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:31 PM
angry white woman

If anyone is interested, there is a series on hulu called Dopesick. If you haven’t already heard of it. It’s satisfyingly an exposure of big pharma, namingly the Sacklers. As is Sam Quiones’ book. But nothing about the border. It’s like denial. Like your roof has a huge hole in it but instead of repairing the hole, ya just put a bunch of kettle pots out.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:26 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

I saw an ad for that but I am worried I might get fentanyl poisoning from watching it
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), Crumb (09-20-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 04:39 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
I'm mad at Trump for not putting up a quality wall when he first took office. That promise won him the election and he said fuck you to everyone who voted for him.
I'll actually defend Trump here a little bit.

He wanted to get more funds for the wall, but he got blocked in Congress a fair amount. It was not as important to Ryan and McConnell as it was to Trump and his voters, and obviously after2018 Pelosi wasn't going to give him anything for the wall without concessions on immigration reforms, which he wasn't interested in (because his problem, or at least Steve Miller's, isn't with "illegal immigration", but with immigration, period).
Quote:
Personally I think he should have been impeached for THAT. Not whatever butt fuck reason that he was.
Yes, har har, you want us to know you're a piece of shit who doesn't care whether the president commits extortion or incites violence at the Capitol.

However, I do think it funny to point out that Steve Bannon defrauded dumbasses like you, getting them to donate money to "build the wall", millions of dollars of which was then pocketed by him and his friends. And what did Trump do about it? He pardoned Bannon! lol

So despite my defense of Trump above, I don't think he really cared about the wall. He was doing it for rubes like you, and doesn't give a single shit whether you and your fellow travelers get fleeced by his friends, using his issue and profiting from their connection to him. Trump has a lower opinion of Trump followers than most Democrats.
Quote:
So, yes, I think a wall would be effective.
Yeah, I don't expect you to actually attempt to make an argument, but I enjoy that you put "so, yes" as if the stuff that preceded this statement demonstrated anything about the effectiveness of a wall.
Quote:
The drugs, fentanyl and other things arent just coming across in boxes or whatever. There is a whole operation, or was there for a while, where Mexican residents were traveling through, setting up cell sites, making friends with their customers and then were going back home to send another crew up. That's the rudimentary explanation.
Yeah, fentanyl is synthetic, so unlike heroin it doesn't require growing poppy, so it can be made in many places. Which means it doesn't have to come from Mexico.

(Indeed, most fentanyl in the US doesn't come from Mexico.)
Quote:
If anyone is interested, there is a series on hulu called Dopesick. If you haven’t already heard of it. It’s satisfyingly an exposure of big pharma, namingly the Sacklers. As is Sam Quiones’ book. But nothing about the border. It’s like denial. Like your roof has a huge hole in it but instead of repairing the hole, ya just put a bunch of kettle pots out.
I watched the show, which was pretty good.

But no, it doesn't talk about the border because it's about Oxycontin, which didn't come from Mexico, but from a greedy American family of psychopaths who lied to the government, lied to doctors, lied to patients and lied to their own employees (although the employees should've known better). Oxycontin is responsible for spreading opiate addiction in many of these communities, after which addicts often switch to heroin and/or fentanyl since they're related substances and can satisfy the same cravings. An account of the beginnings of the opiate epidemic wouldn't focus on Mexico, because it didn't start in Mexico.

Duh.

But you'd rather focus on Mexicans or something, even though the Sacklers still haven't gotten anything close to the consequences they deserve.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-18-2022), Crumb (09-20-2022), It's Me! (09-18-2022), JoeP (09-18-2022), lisarea (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 06:00 AM
Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Quote:
thankfully-dead Nixon era criminal Chuck Colson
Whoa, that name brings me back. Before your post I only knew about Chuck Colson from reading this as a child:

Attachment 12630
But Colson watches you as you sleep.
Crumb (09-20-2022), viscousmemories (09-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I have opinions about this, many expressed right here. WHY is it such a debate? The borders are about as secure as Jeffery Epstiens cell. It feels like an elephant in the room. As you can review, my biggest concern is drugs. And while many agree, they’re not willing to talk about the Southern border.
What's the deal with the southern border? Two things. latinos breeding like cockroaches and rich americans who love slaves. Wage slaves, maybe. But slaves none the less.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law