Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8876  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Her refusal to even consider the idea of verification and citation when editing a non-fiction book for publication and sale while claiming it is a scientific and scholarly work ? Yeah, that can be ridiculed with impunity.
There was no reason to think this quote was not accurate, and I certainly wanted to give credit to the person whose quotation it was. I could have left his name out, but that wouldn't have been right.
Citation and sourcing is much more than putting a name to a quote. Neither you nor Lessans uses citations or sourcing at all, the book doesn't have a source index, footnotes, references chapter, or bibliography of any kind. I have never seen a purportedly non-fiction book so lacking in anything resembling scholarship.

You don't even personally know what all books Lessans read that he used to make his "observations" and draw his conclusions!
No I don't LadyShea. I was a child when he made this discovery. It was hard enough for me to read and comprehend his work, let alone have to research the books he read. Dang, I can't even remember the books I read in my life. You are failing to understand that he didn't set out to make a discovery, which is why he didn't test and cite references the way you expect. The fact that this is his discovery means that these concepts are his own, although obviously what helped him make this discovery was all of his voracious reading and thinking, which came from others.
Reply With Quote
  #8877  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

That leaves you with a bunch of presuppositions he was working from that you can't support. You are left with begging readers to "trust" that these were valid conclusions drawn from accurate observations. Too bad for you.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (04-26-2012)
  #8878  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
[
I'm answering people's questions Spacemonkey, but not the ones that are going to cause an uproar.

They didn't read the book.

Well here are 2 lies, Peacegirl is not answering questions, she is evading them. People have read the book, how else could they critique it, in detail.
There is no *#($& critique. That shows me how far we've come. :eek:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.atheist
peacegirl, in your state of mental illness you couldn't tell how far anyone has come, even if we repeated it to you a MILLION times. You are just that sick.

We've read the book, we judged the book, we read your quotes of the book, we judged the quotes and the book, we saw your mental confusion and ignorance over what was in the book and we judged you, the quotes, and the book.
AND YOU'VE JUDGED WRONG!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8879  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
That leaves you with a bunch of presuppositions he was working from that you can't support. You are left with begging readers to "trust" that these were valid conclusions. Too bad for you.
I refuse to go in circles with you LadyShea. If you're not interested because you believe his observations are not accurate, move on. The only thing that is required, which you refuse to do, is to give this man the benefit of the doubt. I've said all along that you can always reject this book, but do it after careful analysis, not before. Even if you can't understand how he was able to make these accurate observations without using the "scientific" method, you're going to have to give up control temporarily and accept that the premises are correct (because they are) so you can get a clearer picture of how this new world can become a reality. I'm not telling you not to be skeptical, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face by refusing to give him a chance before the facts are in.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8880  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Why are you still posting?
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #8881  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
It was hard enough for me to read and comprehend his work...
You don't comprehend his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Dang, I can't even remember the books I read in my life.
You can't even remember your own posts from 5 minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are failing to understand that he didn't set out to make a discovery...
He didn't make any discovery.

Why are you still here?
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-26-2012)
  #8882  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I refuse to go in circles with you LadyShea.
But that's exactly what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
If you're not interested because you believe his observations are not accurate, move on.
Given that absolutely no-one here thinks his alleged observations are even remotely accurate, why have you not moved on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The only thing that is required, which you refuse to do, is to give this man the benefit of the doubt.
That is asking us to share your faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I've said all along that you can always reject this book, but do it after careful analysis, not before.
That's exactly what we've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Even if you can't understand how he was able to make these accurate observations without using the "scientific" method, you're going to have to give up control temporarily and accept that the premises are correct...
We don't have to do any such thing. If you can't give us any reason to think that his claims were right then we have no reason to think that his claims were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I'm not telling you not to be skeptical...
Of course you are. That's exactly what you are doing. It's all you've ever done.

The facts are in, but you refuse to acknowledge them due to your faithbound delusion. You need help.
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-26-2012), LadyShea (04-26-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-26-2012)
  #8883  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCVI
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You have not apologized to me. Do you think I'm going to forget that easily? :sadcheer:

Why not? you seem to forget everything else that everyone says, or even what you say.
Reply With Quote
  #8884  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
It was hard enough for me to read and comprehend his work...
You don't comprehend his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Dang, I can't even remember the books I read in my life.
You can't even remember your own posts from 5 minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are failing to understand that he didn't set out to make a discovery...
He didn't make any discovery.

Why are you still here?
More to the point, why are you here? Just curious. :glare:
Reply With Quote
  #8885  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
More to the point, why are you here? Just curious. :glare:
I'm fascinated by the extent of your delusion, and would like to see you either break your addiction to posting here or finally seek the professional help you so obviously need.

Now back to you... Why are YOU still here?
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #8886  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I refuse to go in circles with you LadyShea.
But that's exactly what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
If you're not interested because you believe his observations are not accurate, move on.
Given that absolutely no-one here thinks his alleged observations are even remotely accurate, why have you not moved on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The only thing that is required, which you refuse to do, is to give this man the benefit of the doubt.
That is asking us to share your faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I've said all along that you can always reject this book, but do it after careful analysis, not before.
That's exactly what we've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Even if you can't understand how he was able to make these accurate observations without using the "scientific" method, you're going to have to give up control temporarily and accept that the premises are correct...
We don't have to do any such thing. If you can't give us any reason to think that his claims were right then we have no reason to think that his claims were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I'm not telling you not to be skeptical...
Of course you are. That's exactly what you are doing. It's all you've ever done.

The facts are in, but you refuse to acknowledge them due to your faithbound delusion. You need help.
What is your problem? I am trying my best to share this knowledge, but all you do is block my attempts.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8887  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Oh, and everyone read the book. Its claim are all wrong, as we have repeatedly demonstrated. :wave:
David, sorry but you have demonstrated nothing. You are just repeating the very same premise that is being challenged. Nothing to write home about.
So, the fact that we see in delayed time is a premise, eh? And you want to dispute that premise? Then explain why we use delayed-time seeing to calculate trajectories of spacecraft to Mars and other planets, why Hubble takes images of the universe in delayed time, and why we see the moons of Jupiter and all other bodies in delayed time! All of this is easily demonstrated!

Assplain it for us, Your Royal Highness! :lol:

Oh, wait, yes, I know: It's just circumstantial; another of your so-called explanations was, something else must be going on there.

And you wonder why people think you're nuts.
Not at all. This just shows the deep threat you feel because you have invested your entire life on something that may not be true. I can't even talk to you because of your emotions. They have taken control and you are not able to be rational.
Reply With Quote
  #8888  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
...I am trying so hard to share this knowledge...
No you're not. You're refusing to discuss his core claims and are about to leave, remember? Or have you already forgotten what you posted less than 24hrs ago? What am I saying? Of course you have!

WHY. ARE. YOU. HERE?
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #8889  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCVI
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Now back to you... Why are YOU still here?

If I may speculate just a bit, here Peacegirl is the center of attention. She doesn't post on other threads because she would probably be ignored or worse. And in her face-to-face interactions she either doesn't bring up this subject or is avoided at all cost.
Reply With Quote
  #8890  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

It comes down to this, peacegirl. When offered conclusions reached by another person we have a choice; blindly accept that the person drew valid conclusions, assume the person quite possibly or probably drew valid conclusions based on our experiences with that person or his/her expertise, thought processes, methodology, etc. or review the source material and draw our own conclusions.

You have given us no source material to review. Without it, we have no reason, whatsoever to blindly accept that Lessans' conclusions are the same ones we would reach. If we were to accept it without reviewing the sources, it would be on faith, only. I have no reason to put any faith in Lessans, he might have been delusional or of low intelligence or made mistakes in his inferences for all I know.

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (04-26-2012)
  #8891  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
peacegirl, I'm afraid you don't just get to declare that entire fields of well-established science with evidentiary support dating back hundreds of years are mere "premises" that are not better than your father's insane "premises."

Your father was an ignoramus who didn't know anything about science. So he got it all wrong. No matter where you go and what you do, that is always the same answer you will hear for the rest of your life: he got it wrong. Four words, end of story.
If you are alive when this knowledge is brought to light, you will be shocked. I think you'll be shocked when people start taking this book seriously.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8892  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCVI
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I am trying so hard to share this knowledge.
No, you are not sharing anything, you are trying to force feed us what is in the book and expecting us to accept and believe uncritically.
Reply With Quote
  #8893  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
More to the point, why are you here? Just curious. :glare:
I'm fascinated by the extent of your delusion, and would like to see you either break your addiction to posting here or finally seek the professional help you so obviously need.

Now back to you... Why are YOU still here?
This is my one and only thread. The people who come here could easily go somewhere else, which is why I am asking you why you are here when you dont have to be and you won't consider the possibility that Lessans was right. Why can't you find another thread?

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8894  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

LOL, you cannot control yourself can you? Is your posting here such a compulsion? You could easily stop logging in to :ff:

Of course, it has nothing to do with your liking feeling like a persecuted martyr or anything, right?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (04-26-2012)
  #8895  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I am trying so hard to share this knowledge.
No, you are not sharing anything, you are trying to force feed us what is in the book and expecting us to accept and believe uncritically.
Your mouth won't stop running. You have nothing to offer whatsoever.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8896  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
LOL, you cannot control yourself can you? Is your posting here such a compulsion? You could easily stop logging in to :ff:

Of course, it has nothing to do with your liking feeling like a persecuted martyr or anything, right?
I have just as much a right to be here as you do LadyShea.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8897  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
This is my one and only thread. The people who come here could easily go somewhere else, which is why I am asking you why you are here when you dont have to be and you won't consider the possibility that Lessans was right. Find another thread Spacemonkey. I won't be angry at all.
Again: WHY. ARE. YOU. HERE?

Why do you continue posting here when no-one thinks Lessans' claims have any merit, everyone thinks you're nuts, and you yourself acknowledge that you are wasting your own time? Why are you here?
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #8898  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are a bigger jerk than NA, and that's a difficult achievement. Your mouth won't stop running. It's amazing to me what jerkiness someone who has NO KNOWLEDGE can actually make people believe. I didn't put you on ignore because I moved on to another post, but you have dug your grave. You have nothing to offer whatsoever. You are a thorn.
Peacegirl, YOU have nothing to offer. You are mentally ill. You really are. Your mind is not working correctly. I am not insulting you. I am expressing extremely well-founded concern for your mental well-being. Your behavior here is not normal. It is not healthy. Please seek help.
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #8899  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
LOL, you cannot control yourself can you? Is your posting here such a compulsion? You could easily stop logging in to :ff:

Of course, it has nothing to do with your liking feeling like a persecuted martyr or anything, right?
I have just as much a right to be here as you do LadyShea.
Of course you do, just like Spacemokey has a right to be here. Why are you questioning his motivations while refusing to reveal your own?

Quote:
I will put up my dukes, because what is good for you is just as good for me, and you are not the final decision maker as to who gets to speak and who doesnt, thank god.
Says the person who just said "Find another thread Spacemonkey"

Hypocrite
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-26-2012)
  #8900  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I have just as much a right to be here as you do LadyShea. I will put up my dukes, because what is good for you is just as good for me, and you are not the final decision maker as to who gets to speak and who doesnt, thank god.
No-one is questioning your right to be here. We are rather asking you to take a good long hard look at your own motivation so that you might recognize your disturbingly compulsive and unhealthy behavior.
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.65136 seconds with 14 queries