Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10176  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
Where does this mention a requirement for a medical license or being trained?

Sounds to me like anyone can learn however much they want in their own way (no being trained) and simply decide to be a doctor and call themselves a doctor, because there is nobody telling them they can't (which seems to imply there is no licensing board or regulations)
I refuse to go there until you admit that you don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to the economic system, which, by the way, you never read. So please tell me, once again, where Lessans is wrong. Prove yourself Ladyshea, who considers herself to be beyond reprimand. :sadcheer:
Reply With Quote
  #10177  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses.
Oh? Can you please detail some fundamental mismatches between sense organs structural components?

Quote:
Why are you depending on other people to state your case, LadyShea? Is Lone Ranger a god because he's a professor in the field of biology?
Of course he's not a god, he does, however know a lot more about anatomy and biological structures than you or I do, because he has studied it and done physical examinations in the course of his education and work.

Have you ever dissected an eye or done any kind of experimentation or physical examination of eye structures or studied their functions at the cellular level? If not, how do you know "the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses"? Because Lessans said so?

Why are you depending on others to state your case? Is Lessans a god because he read some books about history? Did Lessans ever dissect an eye or do any kind of experimentation or physical examination of eye structures or study their functions at the cellular level?

I do rely on others research, as do most people that do not have access to a lab and specimens and such. Scientists do have this access, and do this for a living, so yes, when I read detailed accounts of scientific examinations and tests I give that more credit than I give to some guy, or gal, who claims he knows things about biology without ever having studied it or doing any research into it.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-20-2012)
  #10178  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
Where does this mention a requirement for a medical license or being trained?

Sounds to me like anyone can learn however much they want in their own way (no being trained) and simply decide to be a doctor and call themselves a doctor, because there is nobody telling them they can't (which seems to imply there is no licensing board or regulations)
I refuse to go there until you admit that you don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to the economic system, which, by the way, you never read. So please tell me, once again, where Lessans is wrong. Prove yourself Ladyshea, who considers herself to be beyond reprimand. :sadcheer:
LOL, you refuse to support your own statements unless I answer unrelated questions?

:weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel:
Reply With Quote
  #10179  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses.
Oh? Can you please detail some fundamental mismatches between sense organs structural components?

Quote:
Why are you depending on other people to state your case, LadyShea? Is Lone Ranger a god because he's a professor in the field of biology?
Of course he's not a god, he does, however know a lot more about anatomy and biological structures than you or I do, because he has studied it and done physical examinations in the course of his education and work.

Have you ever dissected an eye or done any kind of experimentation or physical examination of eye structures or studied their functions at the cellular level? If not, how do you know "the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses"? Because Lessans said so?
The reason you say this is because you can't believe someone from another field could discover a truth in some other field. I get that, but you're wrong in thinking that this is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Why are you depending on others to state your case? Is Lessans a god because he read some books about history? Did Lessans ever dissect an eye or do any kind of experimentation or physical examination of eye structures or study their functions at the cellular level?
Is this your new MO, to repeat everything I say? I already said that the fact that he read history didn't translate to his making a discovery. It was a combination of things. Obviously, you didn't read what I wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
I do rely on others research, as do most people that do not have access to a lab and specimens and such. Scientists do have this access, and do this for a living, so yes, when I read detailed accounts of scientific examinations and tests I give that more credit than I give to some guy, or gal, who claims he knows things about biology without ever having studied it or doing any research into it.
I can appreciate that you rely on scientists, but in the process of doing so, you are cutting yourself off from anything other than the way you see things, which is quite biased. This is why I call you a very narrow minded individual, and I will not retract my words.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10180  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
naturalist.atheist naturalist.atheist is offline
Reality Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: VMMCXXX
Images: 7
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Therefore, it is imperative that you know, well in advance, that my reasoning will be completely mathematical, scientific and undeniable; so if you find yourself in disagreement you had better reread that which you disagree, otherwise, your stubborn resistance, your inability to perceive these relations will only delay the very life you want for yourself.
LOL, I am 100% right and if you disagree you are stubborn and unable to perceive the relations I came up with which are 100% right.

Yeah, humble guy right there.

You don't want to admit you couldn't see the Emperor's new clothes, doesn't mean the rest of humanity can't see that he's naked as a jaybird.
O hubris, Lessans is thy name!
No, this is not Lessans' law. This is God's law. He said this throughout the book. If you read the book you would know this. But you don't want to because you're afraid he might actually be right.
I quote, "my reasoning will be completely mathematical, scientific and undeniable; so if you find yourself in disagreement you had better reread that which you disagree...". Lessans is clearly describing his reasoning in this passage. That is practically a textbook example of hubris.

hubris
noun
excessive pride or self-confidence
No Angakuk, this is not hubris at all. He had a revelation, and he realized what he was up against. He had to come off strong, because no one was listening. Imagine for a second that he is right. Do you have any empathy for what he must have gone through when he knew his discovery was sound, and no one was listening or paying attention? It's still happening.
If Lessans wanted to come out strong he would have presented more fact end less hubris. As it is, he could be a contender for blow-hard of the last century.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-20-2012)
  #10181  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
Where does this mention a requirement for a medical license or being trained?

Sounds to me like anyone can learn however much they want in their own way (no being trained) and simply decide to be a doctor and call themselves a doctor, because there is nobody telling them they can't (which seems to imply there is no licensing board or regulations)
I refuse to go there until you admit that you don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to the economic system, which, by the way, you never read. So please tell me, once again, where Lessans is wrong. Prove yourself Ladyshea, who considers herself to be beyond reprimand. :sadcheer:
LOL, you refuse to support your own statements unless I answer unrelated questions?

:weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel: :weasel:
So easy it is to call me out on being a weasel (and I can see that the number of weasels you posted is suppose to mean something), when it is YOU who is the weasel of all weasels. :D
Reply With Quote
  #10182  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
Reply With Quote
  #10183  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXXVI
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
LadyShea, as you well know by now, this woman is batshit crazy, and utterly shameless to boot. Remember when she indignantly denied that Lessans said that in the Golden Age, it was mathematical certainty that husbands and wives would no longer share the same bed? Remember how we showed her the quote in which he said precisely those words, and she STILL denied the plain text? She is fucked-up nuts.

Now she is denying that Lessans said that people would fall in love with the genitals of others, that Lessans said that light arriving at earth becomes static, that Lessans said that no one would need any special training to be a doctor but could merely hang out a shingle. He said ALL OF THOSE THINGS, it's in plain print, and she denies them, too!

Truly, she's off her rocker.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
But (06-19-2012), LadyShea (06-19-2012), Spacemonkey (06-19-2012)
  #10184  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
Before I even answer you, are you asking me a question, or telling me? Did you not say that you read the book, and if you did, why can't you answer this question yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #10185  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
LadyShea, as you well know by now, this woman is batshit crazy, and utterly shameless to boot. Remember when she indignantly denied that Lessans said that in the Golden Age, it was mathematical certainty that husbands and wives would no longer share the same bed? Remember how we showed her the quote in which he said precisely those words, and she STILL denied the plain text? She is fucked-up nuts.

Now she is denying that Lessans said that people would fall in love with the genitals of others, that Lessans said that light arriving at earth becomes static, that Lessans said that no one would need any special training to be a doctor but could merely hang out a shingle. He said ALL OF THOSE THINGS, it's in plain print, and she denies them, too!

Truly, she's off her rocker.
People, this is coming from a guy who has a vendetta against Lessans and took everything that was written out of context.

Decline and Fall of All Evil: Chapter Seven: The Wisdom of Socrates p. 313

In the new world when an individual leaves a university he will not
depend on any graduation, but on whether he thinks he is ready for
his chosen occupation. Our slide rule demonstrates that when he is
not given the right by the school and state to use drugs, perform
operations, and give other kinds of treatment, then he must be
absolutely honest with himself about how much he really knows
regarding the long term and immediate effects of medicine, surgery,
tests, etc., because it becomes mathematically impossible for him to
shift his responsibility to anyone but himself.

Therefore, a doctor will
be prevented from prescribing medicine, or performing an operation,
unless he is absolutely certain he knows what he is doing for if a
patient should be hurt as a consequence of his ignorance he knows he
will never be blamed for this hurt. He knows that his patients are
putting every confidence in his knowledge and that he could very
easily take advantage of this for his own remuneration. But when he
fully realizes that he might be responsible for people getting worse as
a result of his treatment who will never blame him for this, he is
compelled, of his own free will, to think like he never thought before,
otherwise he might be placing himself in a position that affords no
satisfaction. If he is unfamiliar with a group of symptoms, he will tell
his patient that he really doesn’t know. This will prevent the
possibility of making the wrong diagnosis that could send a patient
home prematurely and delay lifesaving treatment.

In the new world
no diplomas will ever again be issued because the right to practice
medicine on the bodies of people will be granted to anyone who
considers himself qualified. Each person will judge his own
qualifications and if he wishes to risk hurting others who will not
blame him, this is his business. If someone wishes to open an office
and hang out a shingle no one is going to question him, but the full
responsibility of hurting others with his treatments must rest on his
own shoulders once the school pulls out the props that allowed him to
shift his blame. When a student has learned all that the school is able
to teach of genuine knowledge, he will also have drawn a mathematical
line of demarcation between this kind of learning and the knowledge
that is a matter of opinion.

Reply With Quote
  #10186  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Um, what were you objecting to when you said "You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained?"?

Quote:
when he is not given the right by the school and state to use drugs, perform operations, and give other kinds of treatment, then he must be absolutely honest with himself about how much he really knows
So, that is Lessans saying people should become doctors without a license, right? Or do they issue a license to themselves?
Quote:
In the new world no diplomas will ever again be issued because the right to practice medicine on the bodies of people will be granted to anyone who considers himself qualified.
So, this shows that there will be no requirement for being trained or benchmarks for what that training should entail, each person will decide for themselves if they have enough knowledge and are qualified, correct?

So again, what were you objecting to? Lessans did say those things.
Reply With Quote
  #10187  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
Before I even answer you, are you asking me a question, or telling me? Did you not say that you read the book, and if you did, why can't you answer this question yourself?
I want to know what you think the answer is, because you gave two contradictory statements about it. Can you explain the contradiction?
Reply With Quote
  #10188  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Um, what were you objecting to when you said "You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained?"?

Quote:
when he is not given the right by the school and state to use drugs, perform operations, and give other kinds of treatment, then he must be absolutely honest with himself about how much he really knows
Do you know why you don't understand it? Because you don't understand the discovery. You have no conception of what he's even talking about. The same goes for your lack of understanding when he said people will be punished if they raise prices. You don't have a clue LadyShea, and your arrogance is really awful. This was what he was afraid of, and I can't believe I'm crumbling under the pressure to explain things when you haven't carefully read the first three chapters. There's no way you will understand this. You are taking it out of context just like David did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
So, that is Lessans saying people should become doctors without a license, right? Or do they issue a license to themselves?
Quote:
In the new world no diplomas will ever again be issued because the right to practice medicine on the bodies of people will be granted to anyone who considers himself qualified.
So, this shows that there will be no requirement for being trained or benchmarks for what that training should entail, each person will decide for themselves if they have enough knowledge and are qualified, correct?

So again, what were you objecting to? Lessans did say those things.
You're completely wrong. You are taking what he was saying out of context, once again. No surprise. The requirements to become a doctor will be more stringent than they are today. As I said, you have no clue what you're saying.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-20-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10189  
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The requirements to become a doctor will be more stringent than they are today.
It doesn't matter how stringent the requirements are if anyone who considers himself qualified will be allowed to practise medicine.
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-20-2012)
  #10190  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

LOL, Lessans said that doctors could determine for themselves if they were qualified and knowledgeable enough and there would be no right granting by others.

That means no licensing and no required training.
Reply With Quote
  #10191  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I'm sorry, but the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses.
Oh? Can you please detail some fundamental mismatches between sense organs structural components?
Reply With Quote
  #10192  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXXVI
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I'm sorry, but the structure of the eye and its component parts do not match up in a similar way to the other senses.
Oh? Can you please detail some fundamental mismatches between sense organs structural components?
:lol:


:catlady:

:foocl:

She's sorry, no less. Never have I seen such a revolting combination of arrogance, ignorance, unwarranted self-regard and laughable condescension toward one's moral and intellectual betters, than this prevaricating harridan has consistently displayed.

And why is that, peacegirl? Why does the structure of the eye and its component parts not match up in a similar way to the other senses? Because Daddy said so? Or do you have another reason for making this idiotic statement? No, huh? :lol:

Unfortunately, Daddy was WRONG. There are no efferent nerves in the optical system. It's afferent all the way down! A frog is capable of sensing a single photon. The eye is a sensory organ if ever there was one.

Asshat. :wave:

Hey, peacegirl, when were you planning to get around to explaining why NASA uses delayed-time seeing calculations to send spacecraft to Mars and other heavenly bodies? That would be never, right?

:derp:
Reply With Quote
  #10193  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 AM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
I can appreciate that you rely on scientists, but in the process of doing so, you are cutting yourself off from anything other than the way you see things, which is quite biased. This is why I call you a very narrow minded individual, and I will not retract my words.
Who asked you to retract? I have stated from the beginning that I am biased toward evidence. The best evidence wins with me! Scientists have lots and lots of hard evidence, Lessans offered none at all.

So yes, I am quite biased against baseless assertions and arrogant, unsupported claims. All I am "cutting myself off from" is crackpottery and woomeisters.
Reply With Quote
  #10194  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:53 AM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXMDCCCXCVII
Images: 41
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Um, what were you objecting to when you said "You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained?"?

Quote:
when he is not given the right by the school and state to use drugs, perform operations, and give other kinds of treatment, then he must be absolutely honest with himself about how much he really knows
Do you know why you don't understand it? Because you don't understand the discovery. You have no conception of what he's even talking about. The same goes for your lack of understanding when he said people will be punished if they raise prices. You don't have a clue LadyShea, and your arrogance is really awful. This was what he was afraid of, and I can't believe I'm crumbling under the pressure to explain things when you haven't carefully read the first three chapters. There's no way you will understand this. You are taking it out of context just like David did.
I took it from your quoted piece. What context did I remove that states that doctors will need to be licensed to practice medicine? Where are the words stating that doctors will have to be specially trained. Please quote the words from Lessans just as I did.

You can't even answer a basic question from the passage you just posted!

Did Lessans say doctors would require a license? If so I can't find it. Did Lessans say doctors will require special training? If so I can't find it.

So, why did you object in this way "You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained?" when, according to what you yourself posted, Lessans said exactly that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
So, that is Lessans saying people should become doctors without a license, right? Or do they issue a license to themselves?
Quote:
In the new world no diplomas will ever again be issued because the right to practice medicine on the bodies of people will be granted to anyone who considers himself qualified.
So, this shows that there will be no requirement for being trained or benchmarks for what that training should entail, each person will decide for themselves if they have enough knowledge and are qualified, correct?

So again, what were you objecting to? Lessans did say those things.
Quote:
You're completely wrong. You are taking what he was saying out of complete context, once again. No surprise. The requirements to become a doctor will be more stringent than they are today. As I said, you have no clue what you're saying.
No, I am not. I am using his exact words.

The requirements weren't part of question, the question was in regard to "being trained" and having a license.

That being said the requirements are only what any individual requires for him or herself.
Quote:
Each person will judge his own qualifications and if he wishes to risk hurting others who will not blame him, this is his business. If someone wishes to open an office and hang out a shingle no one is going to question him, but the full responsibility of hurting others with his treatments must rest on his own shoulders
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-20-2012)
  #10195  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 AM
specious_reasons's Avatar
specious_reasons specious_reasons is offline
here to bore you with pictures
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: VCCCLVIII
Images: 8
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
You're completely wrong. You are taking what he was saying out of complete context, once again. No surprise. The requirements to become a doctor will be more stringent than they are today. As I said, you have no clue what you're saying.
No, I am not. I am using his exact words.

The requirements weren't part of question, the question was in regard to "being trained" and having a license.

That being said the requirements are only what any individual requires for him or herself.
Quote:
Each person will judge his own qualifications and if he wishes to risk hurting others who will not blame him, this is his business. If someone wishes to open an office and hang out a shingle no one is going to question him, but the full responsibility of hurting others with his treatments must rest on his own shoulders
Lessans implies that people who want to call themselves "doctor" will work extra hard and be certain they are very, very well trained before dispensing medical advice.

Just like Lessans:
Quote:
One day she came to me for my advice, asking if it was possible for me to help her. I told her that I would treat her on one condition, that she stops seeing all psychiatrists.
I'm sure Lessans was very highly trained and was qualified as an expert in psychiatry in order to treat a patient. He claims she got better under his care, but...
Quote:
is this proof that the doctor knows what he is doing? All we know for sure is that he could get better or worse because of the treatment, or he could get better or worse in spite of the treatment.
__________________
ta-
DAVE!!!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-20-2012), But (06-20-2012), LadyShea (06-20-2012)
  #10196  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
More weaseling, which is why it is so easy to call you out on weaseling. You do it every post.

Can you or can you not explain the apparent contradiction between your two statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You actually think Lessans is saying that people should become doctors without a license and shouldn't be trained? You can't be for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There will be no one telling you that you can't be a doctor. It will be up to the individual to decide if he has met all the standards because no one will want to take that kind of responsibility. Therefore, the responsibility will lie with the individual who now calls himself a "doctor".
In the Golden Age will people be able to become doctors without being trained and without being licensed or will they require being trained and being licensed?
Before I even answer you, are you asking me a question, or telling me? Did you not say that you read the book, and if you did, why can't you answer this question yourself?
I want to know what you think the answer is, because you gave two contradictory statements about it. Can you explain the contradiction?
You are being so ignorant right now, I can't talk to you.
Reply With Quote
  #10197  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Spacemonkey's Avatar
Spacemonkey Spacemonkey is offline
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: VMCLXXIII
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are being so ignorant right now, I can't talk to you.
Who do you think you're kidding?

You screwed up, and now you're shifting responsibility.
__________________
video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor
Reply With Quote
  #10198  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is offline
Spiffiest wanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: MXCXXVI
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two


:grin:


:unfrown:

:lol:

The amazing thing, of course is why anyone continues to talk to peacegirl.

Hey, peacegirl, why does NASA used delayed-time seeing calculations to send spacecraft to Mars and other celestial bodies? Have you worked that one out yet? :awesome:
Reply With Quote
  #10199  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
You're completely wrong. You are taking what he was saying out of complete context, once again. No surprise. The requirements to become a doctor will be more stringent than they are today. As I said, you have no clue what you're saying.
No, I am not. I am using his exact words.

The requirements weren't part of question, the question was in regard to "being trained" and having a license.
That being said the requirements are only what any individual requires for him or herself.
No, that's not it at all. The requirements are not what any individual requires of himself. The requirements are the standards that exist in that field. How in the world did I get into this? :doh: You can't jump into the middle of this book and think you're going to understand it. That's arrogant.

The final examination will be the most thorough and toughest ever
given and may take several days or even weeks.


Quote:
Each person will judge his own qualifications and if he wishes to risk hurting others who will not blame him, this is his business. If someone wishes to open an office and hang out a shingle no one is going to question him, but the full responsibility of hurting others with his treatments must rest on his own shoulders
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons
Lessans implies that people who want to call themselves "doctor" will work extra hard and be certain they are very, very well trained before dispensing medical advice.
That's true, but the reason for this is because of the change in the environment which forces his hand. That's why this law is so powerful.
Reply With Quote
  #10200  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 AM
peacegirl's Avatar
peacegirl peacegirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Posts: XXMVCDXXXIV
Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are being so ignorant right now, I can't talk to you.
Who do you think you're kidding?

You screwed up, and now you're shifting responsibility.
To say what you just said shows me how ignorant you really are. I'm not sure who is more ignorant, you or LadyShea. It's a toss up.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 1.16644 seconds with 14 queries