Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 05-12-2022, 10:34 PM
mesospheric bore

Default Re: Glenn Greenwald and other anti-anti-Trump "lefties" are right-wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I read through that stupid thing because of the argument,
Me too. Since I've heard he's a libertarian I'm wondering if he's trying to make an anti-democracy point more than an anti-Roe one. Which would be stupid because the idea of the legal system guaranteeing core liberties is pretty well embedded in the conception of liberal democracy.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-12-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-12-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 04:26 PM
Trying to find the actual stastics

Default Re: Glenn Greenwald and other anti-anti-Trump "lefties" are right-wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
The analogy you're making there ...
Yeah, it's not an analogy. It is a demonstration of the kind of problem that arises if "that's what he said" is allowed to mean "that's what I extrapolate from what he said and what I believe about him".

Here's another way of looking at it. It's a list in descending order of correspondence and hence fidelity :

He said ...
  1. ... and I quote:
  2. ... (I paraphrase):
  3. ... what can only mean ...
  4. ... something I think it is reasonable to assume meant ...
  5. ... something it is unreasonable to deny could mean ...
  6. ... something it is just possible to twist into ...
Now I believe this ladder is a sequence in which any two neighbouring terms can be considered as close enough that if one is accepted as true the next will be equally acceptable, and yet the same cannot be said of non-neighbouring pairs, as is starkly clear in the gap between top and bottom. Though it isn't a continuum, it can be understood in terms of Continuum fallacy - RationalWiki

So we may disagree about where on this list your and @lib_crusher's characterisations of Greenwald's expression of his views sit. (I think you are both on rung 6 or at best 5 as I indicated here, but I think you place yourself on rung 4.) But I think we can agree that in order to claim fairly to be reporting what Greenwald actually said in his piece, you need to be on rung 1 or 2, or on 3 with a huge dollop of goodwill and special license which I am not sure is warranted.

And I believe it is important to recognise that.

Why not just admit that what@lib_crusher and you could have said was something like "Here Greenwald appears to be against Roe v Wade" or "Here Greenwald seems to approve of Dobbs"?

Last edited by mickthinks; 05-13-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:52 AM
mesospheric bore

I think it is reasonable to assume @lib_crusher and erimir were engaging in commentary not claiming "fairly to be reporting what Greenwald actually said in his piece".
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM
Admin

Not someone Id want endorsing me if I were Greenwald.

Quote:
Dave Rubin: "Glenn(Greenwald) was a bananas Lefty, he used to call me a racist on Twitter all the time, now he's just repeating everything I said 5 years ago"
source
Thanks, from:
Ari (Yesterday), ChuckF (Yesterday), Crumb (Yesterday), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), slimshady2357 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Poor Dave Rubin. Not only would his conservative peers literally murder him with glee for being a filthy homosexual, but Glenn Greenwald came along, stole his whole grift and is doing it better than he ever did.
Thanks, from:
Ari (Yesterday), Crumb (Yesterday), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), slimshady2357 (Yesterday), Sock Puppet (Yesterday), viscousmemories (Yesterday)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law