Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 AM
some kind of demographic homunculus

Default Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
The vet visit is in 9 days, and I'm going to inquire about some prednisone for her.
I’d try some simple diet control before I went down the steroid road. Been there before and wasn’t pleased with the long term effects. Start by trying something without both corn or wheat. If that doesn’t work go to something else that uses a different kind of meat for a main protein source. Hopefully she isn't allergic to multiple things.... The dogfoodanalysis.com site that Lisarea linked is a great site for comparing the ingredients of different types of food.

I like the Timberwolf Organics brand. It’s not what it used to be before they reformulated everything a few years ago but is still a great dog food. What I like most about it though is the variety of flavors. Gif and Glo will eat anything anytime, but Pops gets tired of the same old thing day after day. With the Timberwolf I’m able to feed different flavors without negatively affectively his sensitive digestive tract.

Thanks, from:
S.Vashti (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

I won't be varying Tallula's diet until I can talk with a doctor about it. But I've made a list of questions to ask regarding things like yogurt, Natural Balance patties, the nature of food trials, and so on.

Here's something I noticed. She's over 4 years old. Someone has been cleaning her teeth. But she doesn't like to be touched around the mouth. I wonder if the vet did it when she was examined for mange. (She was put under, and skin scrapings made)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
So I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to adopt that Rottweiler. I'm told he's very sweet and friendly with everyone.

Downsides:
1. He still has his balls.
2. He is so young.
3. He's the biggest I've ever had.

(Hmm. Yes, I'm talking about a dog and not a man.)

Upsides:
1. I love dogs.
2. I finally know how to properly train a dog and I can't wait to do it right for a change.
3. Look at that face!
That is an adorable little rottie!

As for the upsides and downsides:

1: Fixing him will not be a major issue.
2: His youth is actually a good thing when combined with the fact that you now know how to train properly. Start regular training now and he will adapt to your training style more easily, and also it will be easier to gain his trust. You will get more bang for your training buck.
3: If you are anything like me, once you go big you will never go back. I actually find small dogs harder to train and manage.

You will have to be strict about jumping, leash manners and general politeness, but because he is a good size you will more or less be forced to do that anyway. And you sure do get a lot of dog in return!
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (02-17-2012), SharonDee (02-17-2012), vremya (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM

Today is the day I bring Tiny to my home for a weekend visit. After I leave the office, I'm going to get all my errands run before picking him up because I want to spend all weekend with him. I hope to arrange a vet visit for Monday so I can get an evaluation on his age and overall health.

BTW: Tiny? What kind of stupid name is that? It will be changed so be thinking of alternatives, y'all. So far I have: Thor, Tiberius, Otto, Bruno, Tuffy.

I have packed a long leash and a chain collar; one of my errands is to stop at a pet store and look into buying an igloo for outside and a bedside mattress for inside. He'll also need a Kong and a rope toy.

BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS IS TEMPORARY! I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE HIM IF I DON'T WANT HIM! YEAH! I CAN RETURN HIM AT ANY MOMENT!
:loud:

BrotherMan (02-17-2012), Demimonde (02-17-2012), Janet (02-17-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), livius drusus (02-17-2012), PopeyesPappy (02-18-2012), Sock Puppet (02-17-2012), SR71 (02-18-2012), Vivisectus (02-19-2012), vremya (02-17-2012), Watser? (02-17-2012), Ymir's blood (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

TINY IS A PERFECTLY CROMULENT NAME FOR HIM!

Also, I like Dr. Snuggles.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Sweetums.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Tito Puente.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
BTW: Tiny? What kind of stupid name is that? It will be changed so be thinking of alternatives, y'all. So far I have: Thor, Tiberius, Otto, Bruno, Tuffy.
TIny was Sluggo's pre-shelter name. The name the previous family, who adopted then returned him, gave him.

Zsa Zsa's was Rosie Red, which coincidentally is the shelter and now permanent name of the dog my sister just adopted a while back.

The moral of this story is: You love that guy, and he deserves to have a better name. Like Fifi. Also, somehow his having a name that one of the dogs of someone you know from the internet also once had means that it is fate that that guy is your dog.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-17-2012), Demimonde (02-17-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), SharonDee (02-18-2012), Sock Puppet (02-17-2012), vremya (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

I kinda like Tiny. :shiftier:

But I am always a fan of new home, new name. Gives the dog a completely new start on life, which is important IMO. Sylvie was named Powder. I am annoyed at dogs named after inanimate things, so that had to go.

I like Otto. He also seems like a Hugo.
BrotherMan (02-17-2012), SharonDee (02-18-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Fishy mokey

Claus von Bülow
lisarea (02-17-2012), Ymir's blood (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Coffin Creep

Werther von Goethe!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 AM

Mein Gott, he's HUGE! And so much energy. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

I'm tired. I wanna go to bed. I hope that won't be too difficult.

I'm too old for this shit ...
BrotherMan (02-18-2012), Demimonde (02-18-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), lisarea (02-18-2012), livius drusus (02-18-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), vremya (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

When I was the designated dog sitter for my three lovelies, they'd cheerily wake me up at 4 in the morning. I'd let them out but that's not why they woke me up. They just wanted a little attention. If I weren't so sleep deprived it'd be annoying, but I can look back and be all :aww: because it was cute listening to the rottie mix walk around the bed hoping to force me awake by nuzzling a foot or hand that happened to be dangling off the bed.
Thanks, from:
SharonDee (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 AM

Oh, and here's my objection to his current name. I'm cool with naming ankle-biters Fang or Killer; it's cute. But a big canine like this doesn't need a cutesy name; he needs a MANLY one. (Yes, I'm sexist. Swat me on the nose.)

So far his demeanor doesn't suggest a new moniker. Perhaps when we've settled in a bit.

On the drive home he'd bark at headlights coming towards us. What a loud bark he has! It made my ears ring. Happily, he's not a barker once he's on solid ground. My eight-year-old spaniel mix isn't sure how to take him yet but she seems cool with the whole arrangement so far.

Someone has trained him sometime; I just wish I knew what commands he's familiar with.

Tired. Rambling. I hope he's ready to sleep soon.
Demimonde (02-18-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Quote:
Today is the day I bring Tiny to my home for a weekend visit. After I leave the office, I'm going to get all my errands run before picking him up because I want to spend all weekend with him. I hope to arrange a vet visit for Monday so I can get an evaluation on his age and overall health.

I have packed a long leash and a chain collar; one of my errands is to stop at a pet store and look into buying an igloo for outside and a bedside mattress for inside. He'll also need a Kong and a rope toy.

BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS IS TEMPORARY! I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE HIM IF I DON'T WANT HIM! YEAH! I CAN RETURN HIM AT ANY MOMENT!
:loud:

Oh yeah, Tiberius is awesome. It sounds majestic and dignified, slightly severe. Aside from being awesome, it has good potential for snookie ookums nicknameization. Tibe, Tibers, Tibey, Tib, Tibeypoo, Tibeleypoo...
SharonDee (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Also, at formal occasions she can call him Captain.

:starfleet:

:shiftier:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-19-2012), Janet (02-18-2012), SharonDee (02-18-2012), SR71 (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 PM

I can't believe I'm thinking Herman (as in Munster). He's just so cheerful and sweet, plus bumbling. He has a good heart but there's so much ... DAWG there.

My friend suggested Shultz (Hogan's Heroes) for the same reason. Dunno.

Rough night; he kept pacing the floor, wanting on the bed but waiting for permission. Which I, in my exhausted desperation, gave. I fell asleep around 10:30 but he had me up by 4:00. *groan*

I have to remind myself that I had the same getting-used-to-each-other pains with both of my other dogs so that I don't throw in the towel. I really want to home this guy. He is sweet and willing but needs work.

Again, I'm rambling because I'm the sole human in the house and the dogs are horrible conversationalists. Ignore at your leisure.
BrotherMan (02-18-2012), Demimonde (02-18-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), lisarea (02-18-2012), livius drusus (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-18-2012), vremya (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Crafty Agitator

Awww, he sounds like a sweet puppy. :aww: I hope things work out and he can stay with you.
SharonDee (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 PM

I took what's-his-name to Pet Smart, where they weighed him. 98 freaking pounds. Oy!

Maybe Lenny? (Of Mice and Men)

He will hug me and pat me and name me George.
BrotherMan (02-18-2012), Demimonde (02-18-2012), Janet (02-18-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), lisarea (02-18-2012), livius drusus (02-18-2012), S.Vashti (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-18-2012), vremya (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Fishy mokey

:lenny:
BrotherMan (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I love Lenny. Reminds me of Jerry Orbach in Law & Order. Nobody cracked irreverently wise like Lenny Briscoe. :longing:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2012), SR71 (02-18-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm going to make a confession, a couple really, but by the end you'll totally forgive me or just not care no more.

1) I decided to hit the youtues. I was looking for a great video to taunt SharonDee with. You know, find a nice loud barky Rotty video that shows just how much dawg they can be (all the while being unbearable adorable so you can't be mad).

I haven't found one I liked, mostly because more than half of them have children or owners mucking it all up. But I can't say I failed. livius, I hope you're sitting or laying down or in some position where losing muscle control won't be an issue. I've found something so irresistible that I simply must put it behind a spoiler tag lest by happenstance or accident somebody hurts themselves from the cuteness of it all.

Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-19-2012), Ensign Steve (02-19-2012), Janet (02-21-2012), lisarea (02-19-2012), livius drusus (02-19-2012), SharonDee (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-19-2012), vremya (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Slept much better last night, mostly because I left the bedroom door open and let him have the run of the house. He was very good, nothing destroyed or messed with. When I leisurely awoke at 6:15, he brought his Kong to wish me a good morning.

BTW, his name is Tiberius. This works because I'm calling him "Tibey", which is close enough to his previous name that he responds to it. (Thanks for the idea, Pappy!)

I dread leaving him on his own when I go to work. I don't know whether to leave him out or leave him in. There will be a trial run tomorrow morning when I go to my annual well-woman appointment. So ... I guess we'll see.
BrotherMan (02-19-2012), Demimonde (02-19-2012), Janet (02-21-2012), lisarea (02-19-2012), livius drusus (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-19-2012), vremya (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

No, Zsa Zsa has never howled that I've heard.

She does talk sometimes, though, and I was trying to teach her to meow the other day, but I am ashamed to say it didn't sound very convincing. It was just a weird, low-pitched growl, almost like she was trying to purr. (I was saying, "What does the kitty say?" so technically, that answer would be correct.)

Man, that and the floppy ears. Such a suboptimal dog.

BRB taking her back to the shelter.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2012), Crumb (02-19-2012), Demimonde (02-19-2012), Janet (02-21-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), livius drusus (02-19-2012), SharonDee (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-19-2012), Watser? (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:bigtears:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-19-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle