Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 06-27-2023, 04:06 PM
Forum gadfly

Default The science of de-bunking, a Cultsmasher example

While it is futile to try and argue, much less convince, a true believer, there is a science to de-bunking, as well as some art. However, one must know before starting, there is zero chance the lunatic involved is going to understand any of it.

Once you accept the effort is it's own reward, and there will never be a payoff from the subject of the debunking, it frees you to do the work, for the enjoyment of it. If you can figure out how to make a buck as well, that's just extra enjoyment.

We begin with the pompous and totally self assured opening salvo, a hallmark of a true crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disobey View Post
This is basically a reply to what somebody had to say in my thread, "Smashing Fossil Fuels." I wonder how many people around here are foolish enough to think perpetual motion doesn't exist. For those who think so, it's time for you to learn some new science.
Then we have the "Yes, but ..." and the "innocent question", all delivered from the pulpit of "I am 100% right", which is also known as the dumb-as-fuck position.

Quote:
In a strict scientific sense, as we understand science, perpetual motion doesn't exist. But what of reality as we understand it. It has probably always existed somewhere throughout infinity and probably always will. Wouldn't that be a sort of perpetual motion?
The a restatement of the fallacy, followed with a change of definition, summed up with the "here is a device that extracts energy from the natural world", all wrapped up in the patina of "I bet nobody else has ever discovered this" ...
Quote:
But that aside, perpetual motion in a practical sense does exist. And what I mean as far as practical sense is in getting more power out of a device that you put into it, for as long as humans could ever need power. Is that "perpetual" enough for you? And "practical" enough for you?

The sort of device I speak of exists. They are called photovoltaic solar panels. The last I heard, they can last 40 years. But it takes anywhere from 1 to 4 years of the energy they put out to equal the amount of energy that it took to create them. That is from mining the materials they are made up of to creating the finished product. That means at least 36 years of absolutely free energy! I would call that getting more energy out of a device than you put into it.
I know, I know, patent nonsense, no point in debunking it, waste of time. All true.

But if I am going to hold his feet to the fire, I want no chance for him to avoid the matter.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 06-27-2023, 04:10 PM
Forum gadfly

Default Re: The science of de-bunking, a Cultsmasher example

Now to help him out. To add a link to a thread, or a post, you simply click on it with your mouse, and then select copy. If you don't know how to do that on a computer, then you really need to kill yourself.

Here is a link to the OP here
Freethought Forum - View Single Post - The science of de-bunking, a Cultsmasher example

here is a link to the topic

The science of de-bunking, a Cultsmasher example - Freethought Forum

Same method. Hold your mouse over the topic, and elect copy. Then paste.

If you don't know to copy and paste on a computer, you are one of the dumbest people alive.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 06-28-2023, 01:06 AM
Forum gadfly

There is a very old sentiment, it's in the Old Testament, and the new.

It's a wonderful reply, because the people you say it to, have no idea what it means.

Quote:
In the link you posted, your arguments to what I said were a load of crap. You can't spout crap and claim to have won an argument. Maybe in your infantile mind you think you can. But reality doesn't work that way.
"So you have said"

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 06-28-2023, 06:33 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Having been banned at so many forums, it is clear that they don't go for the concept of "Freedom Of Speech." But before you comment on it, I know full well what the legal definition is. The government doesn't have to worry much about the concept of freedom of speech when the private sector, such as political forums, are more than willing to step in and perform censorship for them. The filthy hypocrites.
- Cultsmasher

My humble self has been banned, perma-banned, pre-banned, even my sock puppets have been banned, people who just might be me got banned. (which was sort of hilarious)

Even on forums where I TOE THE LINE, try to not post anything that might be against the multitude of unfathomable rules, my posts have been censored. Moved, edited, deleted, or worse.

It reminds me of that old humorous tale.

Quote:
You know, women should just appreciate it when a man does something nice for them. Like washing their back in the shower. They should just say "Thank you" not all of that "Who the fuck are you and how did you get in my house?" nonsense."
Hahaha

But seriously, Cultsmasher (CS) is correct, and it's always been that way. You don't have to worry as much about some high ranking official as you do the bored housewife next door. The retired guy always walking around looking at shit. The useful idiots have always been the many legged beasts that roam the world, looking for anyone who might be a problem.

Big tech companies and the media take care of the mass media, but it's the little man on a forum that is the danger. The little man is the one who goes running to Big Brother and gets you sent to the Ministry of Truth, or worse, The Ministry of Love.

It's the herd of yapping able biters that will get you, long before a big strong authority figure with a ban hammer lays into you, swatting away any trouble, keeping the flock safe.

There are actually quite a few things Cultsmasher writes that are true. But the delivery, oh man, the delivery. It's Jim Jones and Charlie Manson, wrapped up with a helping of a Messiah complex, combined with a lack of basic understanding of human nature.

If you read this far in, you must be bored. Seriously, who would read this crap? Besides CS of course. Oh, you? Shouldn't you just post a smiley or a one word response and move on?

Nothing to see here folks. Nothing at all.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 06-28-2023, 07:09 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Um, like, Far out, man.
:popcorn:
Old 06-28-2023, 08:59 PM
Forum gadfly

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 06-28-2023, 10:54 PM
Shitpost Sommelier