Flipper 11/11

Default Re: "Given atheists slightly higher than average intelligence..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacchus View Post
Quote:
If the 40% number is correct and members are likely to be more intelligent than the general population then it does not look good for the supernaturalists.
How so? I'm just surprised that most of the vocal proponents of science seems to be atheists, and disproportionately so.

Quote:
Because the members of AAAS are self selecting since anyone with the money and desire and wish to be associatd with AAAS may join.
And what is that supposed to mean? I don't see how it applies?
It means that assuming that AAAS members are on average more intelligent than the general population that they are at least twice as likely to be atheists since members are self-selecting so stupid people would be less likely to join.
So, the 40% that are religious and do join, they are not stupid either? How does this amount to twice as likely? Oh, and let's not forget that it's the atheists that uphold science as means of justifying God's non-existence so, it's no wonder that we should see a higher percentage of atheists here. But still, 40% is quite a significant number to stand in contrast.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the 40% number is correct and members are likely to be more intelligent than the general population then it does not look good for the supernaturalists.
How so? I'm just surprised that most of the vocal proponents of science seems to be atheists, and disproportionately so.

Quote:
Because the members of AAAS are self selecting since anyone with the money and desire and wish to be associatd with AAAS may join.
And what is that supposed to mean? I don't see how it applies?
It means that assuming that AAAS members are on average more intelligent than the general population that they are at least twice as likely to be atheists since members are self-selecting so stupid people would be less likely to join.
So, the 40% that are religious and do join, they are not stupid either? How does this amount to twice as likely? Oh, and let's not forget that it's the atheists that uphold science as means of justifying God's non-existence so, it's no wonder that we should see a higher percentage of atheists here. But still, 40% is quite a significant number to stand in contrast.
Unless you take the time to successfully learn some statistics I am afraid that you are just not going to understand this.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Flipper 11/11

Which is to say you can't answer what I'm asking or, that you won't? Thus far all that's been referred to is a 60-40 percent ratio here. Unless you are saying that those who join, who are religious, are also stupid? ...

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Fun will now commence

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven of Nine View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
...is how a post at IIDB begins.

I'd like to see what studies have been done with regard to this statement. 'Cos I think it's probably crap.

I reckon both stupid people and highly intelligent people would cover the entire religious/non-religious spectrum proportionately according to the demographics of the general population of any given area.

Anyone here know of any scientifically sound studies done regarding theist/atheist levels of intelligence?
Most of those claims regarding the supposed higher intelligence of non-believers vs. believers are based on the disproportionate over representation of non-believers among the very wealthy, among the very accomplished in the sciences, and the disproportionate under representation among the prison population.
So, are you saying that the view of scientists in the film Expelled is essentially correct, and that Ken Miller's assertion that 40% of the members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science profess belief in a personal god is wrong? :scratch:
It may or may not be wrong, however in the general population the belief in god is much higher, at least twice that. Which indicates that at least in that particular group, assuming they are somehow more intelligent on average than the average population they are less likely to be a "believer". What is even more interesting is to look at the numbers for biologists. BTW, I am one of those atheists in the AAAS.
I see. I thought I couldn't be understanding you correctly. Thank you for taking the time to explain. It's also nice to have my belief that you're a scientist confirmed, since, as we say here in the Ozarks, a stopped clock is right twice a day, and I was too shy to ask you.
Anybody with a desire to explain reality with all natural constructs is a scientist; those that wish to explain reality with supernatural constructs like god are throwbacks to antiquity. As long as a scientist is able to stick to all natural constructs in their particular discipline then what they do would be called science, but if they are unable to keep them apart then what they are doing is theology and they are in the wrong line of work. For an atheist the sciences are a very comfortable and natural fit since we don't have to fuss over how to reconcile what we discover with our preconceived supernatural "beliefs" because we don't got any.
Frankly, I've never really understood why theists have to fuss over how to reconcile scientific facts with their supernatural beliefs, and didn't realize how many do until I became disabled and began taking part in internet community life.

However, since it was my field of study, I did notice early on that a surprising number of Christians seem to experience a lot cognitive dissonance regarding psychology.
For example, I spoke to one young man at length who was an undergraduate in psychology at a local Southern Baptist Bible college, precisely because he wouldn't have to read any primary sources there: he expected his instructors present the material to him, cleansed of any non-Christian 'impurities' (sort of like human Brita filters), and he certainly wasn't going to learn any neurobiology there. He seemed to understand his education would be inferior, but it didn't bother him at all, because he wanted so much to be protected from any direct contact with the writings of Freud, Jung, et al.

Does that strike you as at all creepy? Because it does me.
Imagine, if you will, an English poetry major who doesn't actually want to read any Byron, Keats, Shelly, or Eliot. *The theme from the Twilight Zone plays*
Old 07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Which is to say you can't answer what I'm asking or, that you won't? Thus far all that's been referred to is a 60-40 percent ratio here.
I am afraid that you just don't understand what I am saying. And until you make the effort and learn enough statistics to understand it then any further discussion is pointless. But you are of course free to "believe" anything you like.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Clutchenheimer

It would not surprise me a bit if the average score of atheists on standard intelligence tests was higher than the average score of theists on standard intelligence tests. In fact, I would predict that it is higher.

But this would be largely a selection effect, by which I mean the following:

Most people are theists; most people are born into theism. To become a self-identifying atheist is usually a conscious decision about what to believe, and why. Some real dumbasses do this for spectacularly stupid reasons, of course, but by and large it's a cognitive effort of sorts to make any very deep worldview judgement on the basis of thinking about it. People inclined to make that effort (well or poorly) will be overrepresented in the atheist group, given the preexisting predominance of theism.

In short, if you compare the general population and atheists, the atheist group will have pruned away some of the leftmost tail of the "reflectiveness" distribution -- a group of people who just don't think much about anything very challenging.

If those unreflective people had been raised atheist, they'd probably have remained atheist. But as things stand, they were most raised theist (of one brand or another), and that's what they've stayed. Disproportionately filtering them out of the atheist population would likely produce a higher average (traditional) "intelligence" measure for atheists.

What this doesn't mean is that the smartest atheists are smarter than the smartest theists, of course.

Being intelligent is a horribly confounded and confused notion in any case; people with unfathomably huge intellectual gifts commonly believe demonstrable falsehoods. There are math geniuses who believe that holy water cures cancer; internet linguistic savants and impressive Biblical scholars who believe that Fox News is the best cable news; theistic creative artistic geniuses who believe that missiles struck the WTC; brilliant atheistic engineers who believe that an unregulated free market would maximize respect for human rights. Smart and stupid inevitably take up residence in same skull, to at least some degree. Once the multi-dimensional aspects of human thought and action are taken seriously, it becomes pretty silly to continue talking about some single phenomenon of "intelligence" that could co-vary with one's religious conviction.
Angakuk (07-21-2008), beyelzu (07-20-2008), But (07-20-2008), Crumb (07-20-2008), freemonkey (07-20-2008), JoeP (07-20-2008), Joshua Adams (07-21-2008), Pan Narrans (07-21-2008), Seven of Nine (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Quote:
Which is to say you can't answer what I'm asking or, that you won't? Thus far all that's been referred to is a 60-40 percent ratio here.
I am afraid that you just don't understand what I am saying. And until you make the effort and learn enough statistics to understand it then any further discussion is pointless. But you are of course free to "believe" anything you like.
Well, then perhaps somebody else (who is less biased) can explain it to me? It really shouldn't be that difficult if, in fact you are trying to make a point.

Last edited by Iacchus; 07-20-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd like to see what studies have been done with regard to this statement. 'Cos I think it's probably crap.

I reckon both stupid people and highly intelligent people would cover the entire religious/non-religious spectrum proportionately according to the demographics of the general population of any given area.

Anyone here know of any scientifically sound studies done regarding theist/atheist levels of intelligence?
Most of those claims regarding the supposed higher intelligence of non-believers vs. believers are based on the disproportionate over representation of non-believers among the very wealthy, among the very accomplished in the sciences, and the disproportionate under representation among the prison population.
So, are you saying that the view of scientists in the film Expelled is essentially correct, and that Ken Miller's assertion that 40% of the members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science profess belief in a personal god is wrong? :scratch:
It may or may not be wrong, however in the general population the belief in god is much higher, at least twice that. Which indicates that at least in that particular group, assuming they are somehow more intelligent on average than the average population they are less likely to be a "believer". What is even more interesting is to look at the numbers for biologists. BTW, I am one of those atheists in the AAAS.
I see. I thought I couldn't be understanding you correctly. Thank you for taking the time to explain. It's also nice to have my belief that you're a scientist confirmed, since, as we say here in the Ozarks, a stopped clock is right twice a day, and I was too shy to ask you.
Anybody with a desire to explain reality with all natural constructs is a scientist; those that wish to explain reality with supernatural constructs like god are throwbacks to antiquity. As long as a scientist is able to stick to all natural constructs in their particular discipline then what they do would be called science, but if they are unable to keep them apart then what they are doing is theology and they are in the wrong line of work. For an atheist the sciences are a very comfortable and natural fit since we don't have to fuss over how to reconcile what we discover with our preconceived supernatural "beliefs" because we don't got any.
Frankly, I've never really understood why theists have to fuss over how to reconcile scientific facts with their supernatural beliefs, and didn't realize how many do until I became disabled and began taking part in internet community life.

However, since it was my field of study, I did notice early on that a surprising number of Christians seem to experience a lot cognitive dissonance regarding psychology.
For example, I spoke to one young man at length who was an undergraduate in psychology at a local Southern Baptist Bible college, precisely because he wouldn't have to read any primary sources there: he expected his instructors present the material to him, cleansed of any non-Christian 'impurities' (sort of like human Brita filters), and he certainly wasn't going to learn any neurobiology there. He seemed to understand his education would be inferior, but it didn't bother him at all, because he wanted so much to be protected from any direct contact with the writings of Freud, Jung, et al.

Imagine, if you will, an English poetry major who doesn't actually want to read any Byron, Keats, Shelly, or Eliot. *The theme from the Twilight Zone plays*
From what I have seen this "Christian" whitewash of reality is across the board including poetry. The current administration is full of "graduates" of "Christian" schools and we can all see the results. Draw your own conclusions in regards to "Christian" and intelligence.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, then perhaps somebody else can (who is less biased) can explain it to me? It really shouldn't be that difficult if, in fact you are trying to make a point.
There are many fine websites that cover the topic. Just use google. Go find out for yourself. It is very unreasonable of you to require that anyone that makes a point must educated you with the background needed in order for you to understand it. Take some responsibility for something!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
What this doesn't mean is that the smartest atheists are smarter than the smartest theists, of course.
Which, of course, suggests that this intelligence nonsense doesn't amount to anything.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, then perhaps somebody else can (who is less biased) can explain it to me? It really shouldn't be that difficult if, in fact you are trying to make a point.
There are many fine websites that cover the topic. Just use google. Go find out for yourself.
That's okay, I'm sure someone could just as easily come up with an explanation here. In fact, it would probably be better if they did, so that we can all understand what you're talking about, as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are many fine websites that cover the topic. Just use google. Go find out for yourself.
That's okay, I'm sure someone could just as easily come up with an explanation here. In fact, it would probably be better if they did, so that we can all understand what you're talking about, as I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Some topics are beyond the format of a general discussion board and take more effort than simply reading and responding to a few posts.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Fun will now commence

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From what I have seen this "Christian" whitewash of reality is across the board including poetry. The current administration is full of "graduates" of "Christian" schools and we can all see the results. Draw your own conclusions in regards to "Christian" and intelligence.
Although I agree that an inferior education does nothing to develop ones intelligence, you appear to be speaking of a certain subset of Christians as though they're representative of all of us when they're a minority, (albeit a vocal one). :(
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Flipper 11/11

Actually, I think with n.a., that is, if you've had any discourse with him at all, anyone that has even the inkling of the supernatural fits the bill. This is why I think he is so quick to discount the 40% of scientists who are members of the AAAS ... because they are just as stupid or lame-brained as any other supernaturalist.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Although I agree that an inferior education does nothing to develop ones intelligence, you appear to be speaking of a certain subset of Christians as though they're representative of all of us when they're a minority, (albeit a vocal one). :(
Does it matter when they are in control of the government? And how do you explain that happening in a so-called democracy? It is not as if they hid their agenda.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Which, of course, suggests that this intelligence nonsense doesn't amount to anything.
Pretty much. It really doesn't matter how intelligent a person is. All people on this rock ball are capable of monumental stupidity in one form or another.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
Seven of Nine (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:35 PM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
I just can't imagine anything useful that springs from it so it doesn't really seem worth saying.
maybe not for you, but it is said for the same reason people are told they are special for believing in god.

just another example of the atheist religious mindset...not applicable to all...but most.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Actually, I think with n.a., that is, if you've had any discourse with him at all, anyone that has even the inkling of the supernatural fits the bill. This is why I think he is so quick to discount the 40% of scientists who are members of the AAAS ... because they are just as stupid or lame-brained as any other supernaturalist.
Not exactly but close enough. If I thought that the best way to account for reality was using god then the very last career I would consider would be science. So yes, there are members in AAAS that make one wonder about their intelligence.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
To become a self-identifying atheist is usually a conscious decision about what to believe, and why.
That might explain a lot, since the decision making process is inimical to the truth seeking process.

Once you realize the truth, there is no decision to be made unless you egotistically desire to stand over that truth rather than under it, either by rejecting it or by unconsciously harboring the conceit that you make it true by believing it.

~ Dorothy ~
Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy View Post
Quote:
To become a self-identifying atheist is usually a conscious decision about what to believe, and why.
That might explain a lot, since the decision making process is inimical to the truth seeking process.

Once you realize the truth, there is no decision to be made unless you egotistically desire to stand over that truth rather than under it, either by rejecting it or by unconsciously harboring the conceit that you make it true by believing it.
Which "truth" is that? That a being is beaming thoughts into your head at night and making you think that demons are attacking you?

Some of us think that "truth" is just another nosensical presumption of reality brought to us by the historical religious/philosophical complex.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
you're next

if you take the time to deny the being, you create one in the process.

the only non-religious atheist is one that keeps their mouth closed on the subject of god.
Iacchus (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy View Post
Quote:

Which "truth" is that? That a being is beaming thoughts into your head at night and making you think that demons are attacking you?

Some of us think that "truth" is just another nosensical presumption of reality brought to us by the historical religious/philosophical complex.
Swell. If there is no truth, then neither are there any lies - or illusions, delusions, misconceptions or the like.

So enjoy. :)

~ Dorothy ~
Thanks, from:
Iacchus (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly but close enough. If I thought that the best way to account for reality was using god then the very last career I would consider would be science. So yes, there are members in AAAS that make one wonder about their intelligence.
Meaning, the ones that are religious, correct?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheServiceOfZeke View Post

the only non-religious atheist is one that keeps their mouth closed on the subject of god.
You really need to turn on a fan, clear out that haze of smoke and look up some of these terms you throw about, all willy nilly.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheServiceOfZeke View Post

Yea.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences