Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
On Netflix, I've been watching the BBC America programme Copper, which is about a 1860s police detective in NYC in the predominantly Irish Five Points neighborhood. I would describe this series as Gangs of New York meets Deadwood, only with slightly cleaner language and less nudity and gore, though not much less. It is so well-written and well-acted it is compelling. I have watched all 10 episodes over the last three days, and now my wife is hooked on it too.

The main character is Kevin "Corky" Corcoran, a police detective, and his two detective cohorts, a young Ian McShane look-alike, Francis McGuire and the shotgun-wielding big-guy Andrew O'Brien. Aiding Det. Corcoran in his crime-solving is Matthew Freeman, a black doctor who is keenly interested in the scientific method and very knowledgeable. Because he's black, his testimony would never be taken seriously, so Corky takes credit for his findings. Also an ally of Corky is the one-legged Robert Morehouse, the son of a wealthy 5th Avenue industrialist. Once a Major in the Army during the ongoing Civil War, Robert owes Corky for saving his life in Atlanta. Corky was mustered out of the Army at the same time as Robert due to the murder of his daughter and disappearance of his wife, a recurring theme thoughout the series.

There is usually a unique murder that is solved during each episode, but ongoing drama and intrigue. There are twists and turns getting here, but the series climaxes with the 10th episode. They could leave it there, and that would be fine, but it has been renewed for 13 more episodes beginning June 23rd.

:leprechaun:
livius drusus (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

So here it is, Autumn is upon us and a lot of shows are coming back and premiering and stuff.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD starts tonight on ABC at 8pm (eastern). This is the show above all others that I have been waiting for.

Also, a show I saw a promo for a whiles back but then forgot about until last night. I originally thought it was the premiere but it's not, it was the second episode already! Anyways, here's someone else talking about it and saying the things that I was thinking that were good about it too:

Sleepy Hollow Recap, Rebeca Pahle TMS

Quote:
In the pilot we met our main characters Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), a levelheaded police lieutenant haunted (not literally) by a scary demon thing she and her sister saw when they were teens, and Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison), who killed and was killed by the Headless Horseman back during the American Revolution. Forces of darkness—the same ones Abbie saw when she was little—resurrected the Horseman, who in Sleepy Hollow just so happens to be one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Ichabod was brought back too, and now he and Abbie have to work together to stop the other Horsemen from rising and bringing about the apocalypse.
It looks like it'll be an alright show for at least this season. We'll see. Though I'll probably have to find a way to watch online because of DVR conflictations.

Burn Notice just ended. I'm not terribly torn up about it even though I enjoyed it with little reservation. I'm hoping The Chin (Bruce Campbell) gets another good long gig because he totes deserves it.

Warehouse 13 is in some weird limbo position where it's also in its last season but on hiatus until early 2014 and they get a few bonus episodes to finish their thing.

I don't know how much Walking Dead I have left in me. As good as the drama can be sometimes, I just don't feel like getting emotionally beat up every week. There's just so much misery and dark bleakness.

And that's not all! But I kinda forget what else I'm watching because half the shows I watch are on some offset schedule and Fall isn't when it happens. What have I forgotten?
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (09-24-2013), LadyShea (10-24-2013), lisarea (09-25-2013), livius drusus (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

AHA, thank you for reminding me about SHIELD. That was the show I kept forgetting to look for and now I don't have to wait for it. :cheer:

I watched the premiere of How I Met Your Mother last night. From what I understand the entire season will take place in the days/hours before the wedding. We did actually get to meet the Mother last night and it didn't disappoint.

Once Upon A Time premiers on Sunday. The new spinoff, Wonderland comes out October 11. It isn't a great show, but it is certainly entertaining and I am a big fan of Jane Epenson's work.

I have been done with Walking Dead for eons, but Contra is still a fan so I will end up watching all this season I am sure. I am actually a little bit intrigued to see how they will handle an actual society and what that will be like. Not really holding my breath though after the sloooooow and repetitive stuff of last season, though.

Other than that, none my shows are starting until November or later. :sadcheer:
BrotherMan (09-25-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I watched the pilot of Sleepy Hollow with much hope, but was sorely disappointed. A lot of jumbled bullshit mythology, cheeseball man-out-of-time cliches you can see coming from a century away, painful exposition via recurring ghost character and the truly unfortunate unexplained shitcanning of the cauterizing broad axe in favor of a Hot Fuzz-style portable armory. :thumbdown:

Thank you kindly for the SHIELD reminder. :thankee:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
not very big for a grown-up

For a change, in Englandshire we are not so far behind, Agents of Shield is starting here on Friday night.

I will be watching.
BrotherMan (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I promise to do my very best to not spoil you regarding the SHIELD.

Quote:
A lot of jumbled bullshit mythology
Well, duh. I'm p sure George Washington was fighting Ænglanders and not the Horsemens of the Apocalypse. I mean, I know history teachers are a little lax in talking about the truth but I don't think they got it that wrong.

I mean, I'm enjoying it thus far because I have a weakness for urban fantasy. But I'm also watching because it stars a p cool lady cop (leftenant) and a dude from the 18th century who isn't a misogynist dillhole. And also, Clancy Brown not being a bad guy for once makes me feel good.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:14 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Let me save you all some time: Ironside (NBC, Wednesdays). Crap. Cliche crap. Bad cliche crap. But the worst sin of all is the loss of the great theme music of the original.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-05-2013), beyelzu (10-31-2013), Dingfod (10-04-2013), Ensign Steve (10-04-2013), lisarea (10-04-2013), livius drusus (10-05-2013), Watser? (10-04-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Doctor Who and Supernatural.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

As happenstance and prolly smokey backroom dealings would have it, Arrow was allowed on the Netflix streaming. Curiousier, it was the day that Season 2 premiered - or close enough that it didn't matter. Back when I was hearing through various grapevines that it was p good, I tried a couple of times to watch it but I just didn't get into it. I always seemed to catch it right when it was at it's CW-drama-iest. So I was hopeful that I could see what it was all about right from the beginning.

Right during the very first episode it got me. Oh, it was still all CW-dramaz and beautiful people problems but the long story they were going for appealed to me. I just spent the last 3 days binging on this Arrow show and dammit if I ain't hooked. I also couldn't help comparing it to other media conglomerate's attempt at bringing their properties to the television screen. The people planning at least the first season of Arrow were doing it better than the Mouse Channel.

I'm saying all these nice things but underneath I should tell you to keep in mind: a) pretty (and rich) people problems; b) it's television; c) it's the CW. It's not perfect, of course and at times it dance's on the grave of disbelief, but I can still accept it.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I hate myself, so I am watching both The Voice and X-Factor.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

This just in: NBC is Dum.

Quote:
Late on Friday, NBC announced a slew of schedule changes, as well as the cancellations of newbies Ironside and Welcome to the Family. Somewhat lost among all the shifting was this sad fact: Parks and Recreation is going on hiatus, effective immediately. This week's planned episode is being replaced by a repeat of The Voice, next week will feature an SNL Halloween clip show, and November 7 will offer a long-scheduled live episode of The Voice. Parks will then return on November 14, but only for two weeks, with back-to-back episodes airing that night and on November 21. (This means the show's planned Halloween/election episode will now air two weeks after Halloween and a week after Election Day.) After its two-week return, Parks disappears again, this time staying off the air completely until early 2014.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-22-2013), Ensign Steve (10-25-2013), Janet (10-22-2013), lisarea (10-22-2013), livius drusus (10-22-2013), Watser? (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

NBC has the worst executives in the industry. When I think of how much they get paid it makes me physically sick.
Thanks, from:
Kyuss Apollo (10-31-2013), Watser? (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Mrs Sectus has been binge-watching an Irish series called Love-Hate, and she says it is most excellent.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-24-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Wtf, I though tParks & Rec was one of their few strong shows?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I hate myself, so I am watching both The Voice and X-Factor.
Still hating myself. Nothing else seems to appeal to me. Well, neither do these shows, but I have my smart phone and I can surf the net for funny cat videos or hold_my_beer_and_watch_this.com for better entertainment.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Adam Scott says: Parks and Recreation is not on hiatus (NBC still dum).

Quote:
“Parks&Rec fans don’t worry, that Vulture article is misleading–we are not on “hiatus” at all…will still air the same amount of episodes before Xmas as last year, & weren’t scheduled to air new eps in Dec anyway…and Parks will be back with Community in a regular time slot at the beginning of Jan. Nothing to see here. All is well.”
Well, alright. They're not on hiatus, but that scheduling is such shit.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-23-2013), Crumb (10-23-2013), Ensign Steve (10-25-2013), Janet (10-23-2013), lisarea (10-23-2013), livius drusus (10-23-2013), Watser? (10-23-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 PM
California Sober

Yay, Community!

Remember when this thread used to be the Community thread? Those were the days.
Adam (10-28-2013), livius drusus (10-25-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM

On the Bugle from a couple weeks ago, John Oliver was talking about filming the next season. In his words, it is going to be "bananas, in a good way".
Thanks, from:
Miisa (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
A fellow sophisticate

It dawned on me as I watched both The X-Factor and The Voice last night, both at the same time by switching back and forth on the DVR, that all of the singers on The Voice are more talented than almost all of the contestants on The X-Factor. There are a few stand-outs on The X-Factor, but most are off-key singers of mediocre talent (my opinion only, apparently), but on The Voice, the only ones left now are pretty damned good.

I know. I still hate myself.
Ensign Steve (10-30-2013), Janet (10-30-2013), livius drusus (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Started watching season 1 of 30 Rock on Netflix. With 138 episodes that should take me into early next year. Also need to finish watching the last season of Big Bang Theory.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM
angry white woman

'American Horror Story: Coven' review: a bit camp - SFGate

I honestly don't know why this subject matter doesn't disturb me more, beings that I'm a believer in the spiritual realm and all. But I love this show. And I am going to watch it tonight since it's Holloween.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Poll Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
So, like I was saying :omgomg: Karl Urban, right? Then I'm all HEY IT'S THAT GUY FROM THAT SHOW and I was more happy. That is until I saw who was producing and I cursed once. I'mma still watch it but he better not pull his Alias and Lost bullshit.

eta: Almost Human premieres in November
Three episodes in and I'm enjoying it very muchly. It has its own cliches but the environment and the acting and the plot is scratching that itching hole left behind by shows like Fringe. So far it looks like JJ is just an EP and it was created by the other guy so my hangups with Captain Lensflare won't be an issue. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy work great together and that's really the best reason to watch this show. I've just read that they have aired the episodes out of order (already!) but there doesn't seem to be any badness to this.

But then, I'm also enjoying Sleepy Hollow despite all the neigh sayers and their entirely logical reasons for their hate. (Also: Castle, sorry mr drusus.)
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Would you look at that. NBC is going to try and make Heroes a thing again next year. The scuttle across the internet is that this is a 13 episode miniseries and if it does well enough it'll become a regular thing. Again. And here I am all DO NOT WANT :scaredno: because fuck you, you tried this already and couldn't be assed to do it right even though for some reason you didn't get to do it right for four fucking seasons. But I know if my roommate gets wind of this I'll probably be forced to watch it and hate it while he's just happy there is color and movement on the big square in the living room.

:gah:
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-24-2014), Crumb (02-24-2014), Janet (02-28-2014), wei yau (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

I couldn't force myself to watch the final season of Heroes all the way through, but I'm cautiously hopeful about this, entirely because the show will apparently be about a different group of people, as in Kring's original vision for the series. I am so not down for the further brain damaged adventures of the Petrelli clan.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-24-2014), erimir (02-24-2014), Janet (02-28-2014), Zehava (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Tellifying

Yeah, the only way this will work for me is for none of the previous cast or storylines to come back. Not even the sinister big bad corporate/government/black ops whatever agency. Cripes I don't even remember any plot details anymore.

I am fearful that they will bring back Mohinder, because his original concept does kinda fit the need to travel the world and identify new supers.

God, I hated that character.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature