Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2023, 09:08 PM   #1
Ensign Steve
California Sober

Music The It's Your Funeral (or how about let's not?) thrad 2023

I apologize in advance for how poorly this thread title has the potential to age, but I did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Okay, but somebody else needs to start the thrad for this year. :control:
How about everybody take cep's excellent advice there and stay healthy for :ff:s sake, okay? I'll start. Or if it's :tealdeer: just skip to the end.

Since last I checked in the 2022 thrad, I have been absolutely crushing it at work. This is excellent for my mood, because being unable to do my job (and by extension, pay bills and eat and have a place to live) is one of my biggest stressors and causes of anxiety. And also it's just a lot of fun to do a thing that you're good at and be successful and make people happy.

The problem is that my job is totally sedentary and extremely bad for my physical health. I know what depression looks like. I go days without leaving the house, un-showered, in my PJ's, hunched over the computer, smashing the keys and getting hit after hit of dopamine. Just because I get paid fat stacks to play my particular video game doesn't mean it ain't what it is.

I was thinking about that this weekend, and about a previous time in my life when I was a hell of a lot busier than I am now, which was grad school. I was handling multiple projects and classes, and I had a side job, and somehow I made time for athletics. Essentially, I just had to schedule all my shit. I have a lot less on my plate now than I did then, so I should be able to make it work.

Also, said side job was at Weight Watchers, and when people would be checking in and say some shit like "I'm going to exercise more this week" we would ask follow up questions. What do you mean exercise? Take a class, ride a bike, go hiking? What do you mean more? Two times? Three times? What day? What time? Put it in your calendar. This shit can't be so vague or it's not going to happen.

So, last night I went to Crossfit at 6:15 PM. That's the last class of the week, and I find myself at that one most weeks because I have procrastinated or blown off the gym all week and it's literally my only chance. But I've found that I really like that class, and it's a good transition out of the work week and into the weekend. When I got home, I started writing out a weekly schedule, and I decided to keep that one in.

Then I remembered that I have a work class next week, and that schedule was not going to work, so I moved things around. Which on the one hand shows the importance of actually planning and scheduling this shit out. But on the other hand, makes my journal pages look like shit. Here's a peek behind the curtain:

week-schedule.jpg

My weeks start on Saturday, they have since forever, that's just how I roll. This morning started out great. I got out the house first thing and went to the park for a run, exactly as scheduled. So far so good.

:tealdeer:

Okay, now it's your turn. What concrete steps are you taking to maximise the days you have left to browse :ff:? Remember to make your goals SMART. Specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound.

Ari (04-29-2023), beyelzu (05-15-2023), BrotherMan (05-01-2023), ceptimus (05-01-2023), mickthinks (04-29-2023), slimshady2357 (05-02-2023), Stephen Maturin (05-03-2023), Stormlight (05-25-2023), viscousmemories (04-30-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle