Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 PM
ellipsis . . .

Default Re: Seen any crappy movies?

Resident Evil

No surprise, there.

I really wish Milla Jovovich would star in good, tongue-in-cheek, fun movies again. You know, like The Fifth Element and Zoolander.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM

There's been some discussion of Olympus Has Fallen on the other movie thread, but I'm putting mine here because this film deserves it. I just posted the review under the spoilers at IMDB, but it won't be up for a few days so I'm also copypastaing it here.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 04-22-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (04-22-2013), BrotherMan (04-22-2013), Dingfod (04-23-2013), Janet (04-23-2013), Kael (04-26-2013), livius drusus (05-15-2013), Pan Narrans (04-23-2013), Sock Puppet (04-22-2013), Stormlight (04-22-2013), The Man (04-24-2013), Watser? (04-22-2013), Ymir's blood (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

You missed one important thing, Mr Fidian:

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (04-29-2013), Dingfod (04-23-2013), Janet (04-23-2013), Kael (04-26-2013), Nullifidian (04-22-2013), Stormlight (04-22-2013), The Man (04-24-2013), Watser? (04-22-2013), Ymir's blood (04-22-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I meant to include that but my brain was seizing up from the stupid as I was posting my review. :larrybounce: :brainfrz:

I think the fundamental problem was that the screenwriters thought nuclear missiles were built on the same plan as Fat Man and Little Boy. They had no idea that you could treat the warhead and the missile as separate things. This is what happens when you let Mitchell and Webb's Lazy Writers write screenplays for major studio films.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-23-2013), Kael (04-26-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013), The Man (04-24-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 AM
ellipsis . . .

Renaissance

I wanted to love it, I really did. Film noir, cyberpunk, animated movie? I'm there!

There are some positives to the film, like every single shot has great visual composition, the animation quality is decent, I like all of the actors who lent their voices to the roles, and future Paris is interesting . . .

That's all I can give it. The pacing is awful. The high contrast absolute white and absolute black of the animation style gets old fast--it physically tires the eyes to look at for almost two hours. Lastly, I must object to its ideology:
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Shooting Creek, a post Civil War drama about Southerners and their love for their battle flag. It was so badly done I quit watching barely 10 minutes into it.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 AM
ellipsis . . .

Event Horizon

It's a really mixed bag. Parts of it are okay, by pure accident I'm guessing, but the bulk of it is just blah or laughably bad.

I can't really judge if it works as a horror movie or not because I don't find any movies scary. I enjoy Alien, Jaws etc. for other reasons.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I agree, and I've always found that sort of thing annoying, too.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Being literally unable to die would eventually mean that you'd eventually be stuck in a pit for millions of years or some other similarly unpleasant thing. So it might not be good to live forever forever.

Of course, if you were stuck buried in a mountain or something, you'd probably eventually go insane so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

But if I have the ability to end it all when I want to, I don't really see much of a downside.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-15-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I see a downside, but then I've already told all my loved ones that my ambition is to die first and not have to mourn any of them. I also think that being immortal would necessarily make you different than humans. Not necessarily worse or better, but definitely other because consciousness of our own inevitable death is an integral part of being human.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-15-2013), LadyShea (05-15-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Imagining immortality makes me panic because then I think about being present for the end of the universe and I feel trapped.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-15-2013), LadyShea (05-15-2013), livius drusus (05-15-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

In the Electric Mist

Tommy Lee Jones is watchable when he says things, even without a coherent plot, but other than that I don't even.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Being unable to die would indeed be awful. But being able to live as long as you want (particularly if you retained your youthful health and vigor) would be a wonderful thing, it seems to me.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Being unable to die would indeed be awful. But being able to live as long as you want (particularly if you retained your youthful health and vigor) would be a wonderful thing, it seems to me.
Too late. :kickcan:
Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I see a downside, but then I've already told all my loved ones that my ambition is to die first and not have to mourn any of them. I also think that being immortal would necessarily make you different than humans. Not necessarily worse or better, but definitely other because consciousness of our own inevitable death is an integral part of being human.
For the impact that would have on the rest of society read Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress which deals with a group of people genetically altered to not need sleep, which has the side-effect that they don't age.
Crumb (05-15-2013), LadyShea (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Thanks, I'll put that on my reading list. I came to that conclusion about immortality in my studies of vampire myths. Among many purposes, I think they worked as a cautionary tale about the drawbacks of immortality.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-15-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-15-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 AM
ellipsis . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Being literally unable to die would eventually mean that you'd eventually be stuck in a pit for millions of years or some other similarly unpleasant thing. So it might not be good to live forever forever.
Unless you want to posit the existence of magic, being unable to die is an impossibility. Anything made of matter can be broken. Anything that does work (such as living) requires an input of some sort of energy from an outside source.

Any sort of immortality that may be possible in the real world just means that you won't die of "old age"--not that you're invulnerable and don't have to play by the laws of thermodynamics.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Unless you want to posit the existence of magic, being unable to die is an impossibility. Anything made of matter can be broken. Anything that does work (such as living) requires an input of some sort of energy from an outside source.

Any sort of immortality that may be possible in the real world just means that you won't die of "old age"--not that you're invulnerable and don't have to play by the laws of thermodynamics.
No fucking shit.

Are you trying to be a parody of yourself or something?

Jesus Christ.
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-16-2013), Janet (05-16-2013), livius drusus (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM
ellipsis . . .

Quote:
No fucking shit.
Well, you were treating an impossible situation as if it could be possible in your post, so get over yourself.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to be a parody of yourself or something?
Quote:
Well, you were treating an impossible situation as if it could be possible in your post, so get over yourself.
So...

I take that as a yes?
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (05-16-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The tag line and the major thrust of Now You See Me is "the closer you look the less you see." Sometimes it made me think of the line from MIB theme "what you think you saw you did not see." And throughout Now You See Me it is honest with its intentions. The closer you look the less you see.

The superficial layer of the movie is straight up honest stage magic. It's a variety of mentalist's tricks, sleight of hand, illusionist stuff that magicians have been doing since the beginning. I was hoping for more of an Ocean's Eleven show about who the Four Horsemen are and why they are chosen. The Four Horsemen, so you know, are Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher and Dave Franco's characters. They're each moderately successful magicians but each with aspirations to something more. One day they all receive a card, an invitation really, to do and be something more.

And then suddenly it's a year later and they're in Las Vegas. The big bank robbery that's in the preview is only their first illusion. See, they only do three stage shows and then they're all done, with all the wealth and knowledge of a mystery year's training can bring. Each illusion on stage is explained as the movie goes on. And they are all pretty good illusions - but as you understand how each performance isn't real don't think too closely or you'll get entangled in thinking through the Batman's Gambit.

If all this was just a magic crime drama it could have been a fun movie. But there was the secondary and a tertiary layer in the movie. Though true to the maxim of "the closer you look the less you see," it didn't deliver as promised. When you watch a well crafted multi-layered movie like The Usual Suspects or The Sixth Sense, there is a valuable rewatchability to them. There are hints and nods and nudges that exist that you weren't seeing the first time. The pay off for the other layers of Now You See Me wasn't very satisfying to me. I even felt a little betrayed by the movie, throwing the big reveal at me with a What a Twist! smirk as though the movie knew it had me fooled, when really it was more of an out of nowhere And Then There's This!

Alright, that doesn't make a lot of sense in those words, but I'm trying to be as non-spoilery as I can.

I didn't enjoy this experience. There are some things that I thought it did well but a lot more things that weren't as well done as it could have been. So much so that I'm wondering if seeing After Earth might have been the better idea.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2013), LadyShea (06-05-2013), slimshady2357 (06-05-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-05-2013), wei yau (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM

What turned me off the idea of Now You See Me was that it was billed as a steal from the rich, give to the poor situation. But they are giving the money to their audience, which means it's steal from the rich, give to the people with enough disposable income to spend on a ticket to an arena-sized magic show.
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-06-2013), BrotherMan (06-05-2013), Crumb (06-05-2013), Dingfod (06-06-2013), Kael (06-07-2013), wei yau (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I didn't enjoy this experience. There are some things that I thought it did well but a lot more things that weren't as well done as it could have been. So much so that I'm wondering if seeing After Earth might have been the better idea.
:nowai:

Wow.

Anyway, I was coming to this thread because we saw This is the End last night and it was a total stinker. On the way there I said to Sou "this probably isn't going to be your kind of movie" and she said she was actually pretty hopeful, that she was hoping it would be like Superbad (which I loved and she thought was OK).

I thought, hmmmm she needs to lower those expectations. So I told her it was going to be weed-humour, dick-humour, gore-humour and swearing-humour and that was probably about it. First, I was bang on, in fact the advisory warning before the movie basically said exactly that and Sou turned to me and we laughed. Second, I could not have possibly lowered her expectations enough to give this movie any chance. I imagine Sou would give this movie about 0.1/10 and even I couldn't give it more than about 2/10. And I like movies like this, I liked Pineapple Express.

There were some laughs, but just so few. I can't even imagine that a stoned 16yr boy would think this movie was more than about 5/10 and that pretty much has to be their demographic. I mean so many of the jokes were related to dicks, wanking, cum, puke, etc... that no one else could probably stomach it.

I was really hopeful going in that at least I would like it. Seth Rogan, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson... even Danny McBride. I like those guys, they all have movies I've enjoyed. But it just sucked.

The best parts were the cameos by Michael Cera and Emma Watson.
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-06-2013), BrotherMan (06-05-2013), Dingfod (06-06-2013), LadyShea (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Tellifying

Oh man, that is disappointing. Because I was really looking forward to the movie.

Srsly, I was. I mean, that is a pretty solid cast. Or at least, it should have been.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Oh man, that is disappointing. Because I was really looking forward to the movie.

Srsly, I was. I mean, that is a pretty solid cast. Or at least, it should have been.
That's pretty much how I felt. :sadcheer:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature