Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Teddy

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
We (Americans) don't really have any privacy protections. It's completely ridiculous.
I recently sent an irate e-mail to pipl (or some similar site) for publishing my birth certificate on their website. I don't know where in god's earth they got that or how, but it is absolutely offensive to me that in an age where identity theft is not only a real concern but COMMON my very personal documents were online for the whole world to see. Your city of birth is a security question for a lot of important websites whether it's banking or job listings. That sort of breach of personal information should be illegal.
BrotherMan (03-02-2012), ceptimus (03-02-2012), Doctor X (03-02-2012), Janet (03-02-2012), Kael (03-02-2012), lisarea (03-02-2012), maddog (03-02-2012), Sock Puppet (03-05-2012), Stormlight (03-02-2012), The Man (03-06-2012), Watser? (03-03-2012), Ymir's blood (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:47 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
our city of birth is a security question for a lot of important websites whether it's banking or job listings. That sort of breach of personal information should be illegal.
It's often why I don't answer these questions truthfully. Back when people cared about Palin she had her e-mail account "hacked" by someone hunting down her secret question answers. Most of which she had made public at one time or another.
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-27-2015)
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Quote:
our city of birth is a security question for a lot of important websites whether it's banking or job listings. That sort of breach of personal information should be illegal.
It's often why I don't answer these questions truthfully. Back when people cared about Palin she had her e-mail account "hacked" by someone hunting down her secret question answers. Most of which she had made public at one time or another.
Good point. I don't make my information public, either. But since my birth certificate was found, I might as well make my own "cover identity" just for my security information. Most of my friends that I know personally don't know where I was born, what my mother's maiden name is, or my father's middle name...it's frustrating that a complete stranger can figure it out.
The Man (03-27-2015)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
We (Americans) don't really have any privacy protections. It's completely ridiculous.
I recently sent an irate e-mail to pipl (or some similar site) for publishing my birth certificate on their website. I don't know where in god's earth they got that or how, but it is absolutely offensive to me that in an age where identity theft is not only a real concern but COMMON my very personal documents were online for the whole world to see. Your city of birth is a security question for a lot of important websites whether it's banking or job listings. That sort of breach of personal information should be illegal.
That's what all the muslims from Kenya say, isn't it?
The Man (03-27-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle