Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 PM

Default World Cup Qualifying winds down

The European World Cup Qualifying rounds ended today (although six teams still have to play home and away playoffs). Of the big nations, Spain only made it to a playoff spot – pipped by Serbia-Montenegro for first place in the group. Russia is out (Portugal finished first in the group, and tiny Slovakia tied the Russians today to hang onto the second-place playoff spot). Euro-2004 champs Greece are out (Ukraine first, Turkey second in that group).

France qualified today, and Switzerland tied the Irish at Lansdowne Road to hang onto the playoff spot. Asia, South America, North America, and Africa are pretty much set – the North American playoff spot against Asia will be determined this evening – the U.S., Mexico, and Costa Rica have already qualified. Africa was a surprise: Nigeria is out, Cameroon is out – Tunisia, Ghana, Togo, Ivory Coast and Angola qualified. In South America, Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador and Paraguay are in – one more team will playoff against Australia.

As usual, Brazil look like the favorite. Germany (the home nation) is weak. England, France, Portugal and maybe livius’ Italy have decent teams. So does Argentina. But the Samba boys look hard to beat, with Ronaldo, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldinho, and Kaka representing five of the best attacking talents in the world. Cafu and Roberto Carlos at fullback are getting a bit old – but who needs them?

I’ve always been an Argentina fan, and I’m pinning my hopes on Barcelona's 18-year-old Messi – who may or may not be ready to star this coming spring and summer.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Sachse ohne den blöden Dialekt

Location: Sydney, Australia. Ursprünglich Kurfürstentum Braunschweig-Lüneburg
Default Re: World Cup Qualifying winds down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS
In South America, Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador and Paraguay are in – one more team will playoff against Australia.
That team is Uruguay who beat Argentina 1-0 in a just completed qualifier. The first leg is in Montevideo on November 12, the return is in Sydney on November 16. The same teams featured in the playoff for the 2002 World Cup - Australia won 1-0 at home but lost 0-3 away which meant Uruguay went to Japan/Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS
As usual, Brazil look like the favorite. Germany (the home nation) is weak. England, France, Portugal and maybe livius’ Italy have decent teams. So does Argentina. But the Samba boys look hard to beat, with Ronaldo, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldinho, and Kaka representing five of the best attacking talents in the world. Cafu and Roberto Carlos at fullback are getting a bit old – but who needs them?

I’ve always been an Argentina fan, and I’m pinning my hopes on Barcelona's 18-year-old Messi – who may or may not be ready to star this coming spring and summer.
I pretty much agree with all you've said. Brazil is the only team to have won a World Cup outside of it's own hemisphere (in Sweden in 1958 and in Japan/Korea in 2002), so if a non-European team wins, Brazil will probably be it. Argentina is the only other candidate. Germany may not be much chop on paper, but they are a tournament team, and being the hosts, they have to be in with some sort of chance. As you said, France, Italy and England are good bets along with Portugal and the Netherlands. Spain, too, of course, if they get through the play-off. Mexico is good nuisance value, but none of the African or Asian teams have a hope in hell. It should be a good tournament.

Please God, save me from your followers. Come yourself, don't send Jesus. This is not a job for children.

A Christian threatening me with hell is like a Hippie threatening to punch my aura.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Quality Contributor

Last in our group. No points and 5:48 goals in 12 matches. :sadcheer:

We almost made it ... :depressd:
Old 10-15-2005, 02:11 AM
Sachse ohne den blöden Dialekt

Location: Sydney, Australia. Ursprünglich Kurfürstentum Braunschweig-Lüneburg

European play-off games are as follows:

Czech Republic vs Norway
Switzerland vs Turkey
Spain vs Slovakia

My tips to go through: Czech Republic, Turkey and Spain.

Please God, save me from your followers. Come yourself, don't send Jesus. This is not a job for children.

A Christian threatening me with hell is like a Hippie threatening to punch my aura.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle