Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Pinterest, ladysplained.

Did you see my suggestion for you, lisapea? I made a board just for suggestions.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

You have to type the names. But it does the recommendation thing from your lists, so I only needed to type two letters to add you when I tested just now. So that is like two or three key strokes per person.

ETA, if they are subscribed to that board it will show up in their stream, but they may miss it. If you do the @ name thing it will show up in their feed IIRC. This works in a pin description or in the comments of an existing pin.
lisarea (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 PM

Demi did I do my Vacation Pins right? They should go to where they are asposed to. Test em
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM

:giggle: I was just looking at your Florida board and loving the pictures.

Just tested the links and they are good to go. Also, I want to take an air-boat ride really bad! And I am not alone, you already got a couple of repins!

I get tickled every time something of mine gets repinned. I also usually check out that person's boards and see if I want to follow them. Because clearly, we have similar taste and interests. Also, it is kinda a tit for tat thing and encourages them to follow you in turn. Which means more repins! And a broader audience who can also repin!
LadyShea (02-17-2012), wildernesse (02-17-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Ha ha, so I was in a different thrad just saying I should make a Pinterests about appropriate sartorial choices to become a scary old lady, so then I was like OKAY. (Speaking of cute, hard to search titles.) I
Did you see the 30 Rock this week? Liz rode on the subway in a crazy old lady costume from work and she had a cough and everybody was afraid of her and stayed out of her bubble and she was like :muahaha:!

edit: Oh god, why did I click through to manrepeller? I'm going to spend all of bey's money! So every day I work out before school so I leave the house in my gym clothes and my outfit is packed in my bag. This means that I don't get to see what the outfit looks like on before I commit to wearing it. So the other day I thought I had grabbed my mom jeans and I picked my shoes and socks and stuff accordingly, but when I was getting dressed in the locker room I realized I had my skinny jeans, not my mom jeans, so my shoes and socks were all wrong for it! I was like :lol:! Good thing I do not even fucking care!
Janet (02-18-2012), LadyShea (02-18-2012), Leesifer (02-19-2012), lisarea (02-18-2012), livius drusus (02-18-2012), Qingdai (02-18-2012), wildernesse (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Pinterest is of no interest, blocked by Websenseless.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I did start a board of scary old lady stuff, which in my case turns out to be weird and possibly improbable knitting projects.

I also started a board of vacation ideas, but it doesn't look as nice as Lady's.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I also made one, and I thought I added you on there as a contributor, but I can't find you.

I assume I did add you and then you rejected it and blocked me entirely so I can't even see you there, because the only other explanation would be that I erred in some way.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Or I'm incompetent, that's always a good explanation.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Qing, on your travel board, did you see you can go through every pic on the website to use for your PIN? So rather than the little map of Honeymoon park, or the Motel logo you could choose a more impactful photo. That's how I did mine. When you enter the URL, it will find images, then there is a "next/previous" tool.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
not very big for a grown-up

I am now officially pinterested - thanks Demi.

ETA! I like that I'm already following you guys.
Demimonde (02-18-2012), LadyShea (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM

What's another way to say bucket list?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM
not very big for a grown-up

Stuff I want to do before I die list?
LadyShea (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 PM
lagomorph lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
No customized privacy controls.
This.

I'm already getting addicted to Pinterest, but most of what I pin (or would like to pin) is just for myself, and not necessarily something I want all the world to see. With most of it, I don't really care if it is posted publicly, but I would like the option to create entirely private boards.
Demimonde (02-20-2012), LadyShea (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM

I find it weird that people I don't know repin my stuff, but don't change my description to personalize it for themselves.

So, it looks like some dude also wants to visit the Beehive in Rome because he knew the owner as a little kid.

Overall, I am liking the fact that it's pictures because I can just look around and see what catches my eye, and don't have to slog through a bunch of "what I had for dinner", and don't even need to look at who posted it or anything.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-20-2012), Qingdai (02-19-2012), wildernesse (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 PM
lagomorph lover

Yeah, I'm starting to get over getting weirded out by people who don't know me follow my pins. But still, if I did want to use it to, say, plan a wedding (though I'm 5 years engaged now with no date set and no intention to set one anytime soon-- haha) I wouldn't necessarily want everyone invited to know what I'm planning.

But mostly, I'm there for the pretty picture pr0n.
Demimonde (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM

I looked at like the history pages, and someone has a serious Marilyn fetish, and another a serious vintage dress one. Jeez louise people, you don't need to pin every picture on the Internet to your board
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-20-2012), Qingdai (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I think their business model is pretty dependent on the social part, so they're going to push the social aspects pretty consistently, by making you sign up with an existing social network link (that I assume they can scrape, or at least import your connections from), and by making all your pins public.

I think for a private collection, you'd probably want to just do that locally, like with Evernote or something.

Ideally, you could keep all your bookmarks--text and visual, private and shared--in the same place and just tweak the individual settings accordingly, but I haven't figured out how yet.

Anyway, yeah. It weirds me out a little bit, too. Not really bothers me. It's just weird. I'll get used to it.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-20-2012), Qingdai (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I think their business model is pretty dependent on the social part, so they're going to push the social aspects pretty consistently, by making you sign up with an existing social network link (that I assume they can scrape, or at least import your connections from), and by making all your pins public.

I think for a private collection, you'd probably want to just do that locally, like with Evernote or something.

Ideally, you could keep all your bookmarks--text and visual, private and shared--in the same place and just tweak the individual settings accordingly, but I haven't figured out how yet.

Anyway, yeah. It weirds me out a little bit, too. Not really bothers me. It's just weird. I'll get used to it.
When I disconnected it from Facebook all the people went away. So there's that. I like that I can change my display name and delete my last name and stuff at will. That's okay too.

Also I had all my vacation stuff in Google Docs (I use the shit out of that for my plannings), I just copied it to Pinterest to test it all out
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
professional left-winger

I'm still working on figuring it out. I'm one of those who did not change the descriptions at first, because I didn't think to do it, until I was all like, "wait, I don't talk like that!"

I wanted to pin some art from my own website but since it uses a Flash slideshow, Pinterest couldn't even see any images, I guess. I'll have to put some images elsewhere.
Demimonde (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
California Sober

I imagine that you have the images hosted somewhere, like in a folder on your web server, so that your flash can refer them. If you bypass the main page and go directly to the address of the pictures, you might be able to pin it from there.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
I'm still working on figuring it out. I'm one of those who did not change the descriptions at first, because I didn't think to do it, until I was all like, "wait, I don't talk like that!"

I wanted to pin some art from my own website but since it uses a Flash slideshow, Pinterest couldn't even see any images, I guess. I'll have to put some images elsewhere.
Yeah, I couldn't Pin from a couple of sites, prolly due to that. You can upload to Pinterest too

The description thing was fine when it just said "I like this" or "This is cool and useful" whatever...it was the dude I don't know with my personal commentary referring to my life that kinda freaked me out.
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I imagine that you have the images hosted somewhere, like in a folder on your web server, so that your flash can refer them. If you bypass the main page and go directly to the address of the pictures, you might be able to pin it from there.
I want it so the picture is clickable and leads back to the source.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM

I found that once you get the picture Pinned (even a direct link to the .jpg) you can then edit the PIN and change the URL to whatever site you want..

So for example I initially screwed up and Pinned to just a picture floating in space, but the pic stayed put when I edited in the site's homepage URL. Even a picture I uploaded myself from my own harddrive , links through to the site I used for inspiration for the project.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-20-2012), freemonkey (02-19-2012), wildernesse (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 AM

Yeah, it really is geared to sharing. Private boards would be really nice, but really isn't what Pinterest is in this for. They want us sharing and moving links and products. But I totally agree that I really don't want my guests to know what my party will be before I throw it, especially my wedding. I thought about making a "gift" board for things I would like to get other people, but that could ruin the surprise a bit, huh? I guess I would also have to pin decoy stuff like socks or something. :giggle:

On people not changing the description, I think that has to do with the phone app more than anything. Just like twitter, pinterest is getting a huge surge in use from the smart phone market. But it can be even lazier than twitter in that they can just repin with a couple taps and don't have to bother with those hard word things. I have repinned the same description if I think it suits, but yeah, it is annoying when I forget. Especially if that person wrote something really stupid or was all "OMFG HOW AWESOME IS THIS LAMP!? I WANT TO HAVE THIS LAMP"S BABBIES" or something.

I like getting repinned by folks I don't know. I get a kick out of some person in Omaha liking what I found, or some person in Topeka wanting to do the same project as me. Just like I get a kick out of sharing stuff with you guys on :ff:. I get a kick out of being a maven and I love giving exposure to those who deserve it. Take This Pin. Lovely photo and I totally love the look. If you follow the link it goes to a post titled, "It's Finally Here! My Bedroom Reveal!!!" from a blogger named Katie.

Apparently, she has worked on various stuff for that room over the course of 4 years. She walks you through the stories of her stuff and has links in that post to tons of little projects she did which now has come together into this beautiful whole. I was amazed that when I posted that, she got 47 repins and 10 links just from my pin. That is a lot of recognition for her work. If you think about it, that is like having a restaurant full of people stand up and start applauding you. And that was just from my pin. Those other pins are floating around giving her even more exposure. I find that completely awesome! Also I want to live in her bedroom, in a totally non-creepy internet way.

freemonkey, I would love to be able to share your stuff as well, especially if it gets you business to your gallery site. I think in addition to benefiting big retailers like anthropolgie or Pottery Barn, Pinterest was designed for people like you. A friend of mine is an artist and starting an Etsy store and I was trying to explain how great this is for that. Art and aesthetic objects are hard to quantify in words. You can try searching for them, but often you don't know what you are looking for until you see it. It is like this Tom Waits Pendant Necklace. I did not know I wanted a Tom Waits Pendant necklace, but I totally do. I certainly would never have typed, "Tom Waits Tribute Jewelry" into a search box. The only way I found this is someone shared that retailer here on :ff:, (I think it was Gonzo,) and I checked it out. Pinterest lets people have that kind of exposure in an even simpler way- fast, furious, and to a HUGE audience.

Last edited by Demimonde; 02-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-20-2012), LadyShea (02-20-2012), livius drusus (02-20-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology