Healing is for suckers. :P
If you say so, Holy-Boy. :wink:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Zehava (11-13-2008)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Tellifying

Default Re: Neither WAR nor WoW

The Google is useless. What is "DPSealers"? It's got nothing to do with double-penetrating seals, does it?

ETA: Alright found it that it might mean "Damage Per Second", but still not sure how that fits into the context of the discussion.

I'm a hopeless newb.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

I'm guessing the intent was healer-archetypes who try to DPS.

Like shadow priests in WoW...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
The Google is useless. What is "DPSealers"? It's got nothing to do with double-penetrating seals, does it?
It's a completely made up on the spot term that I'm copyrighting. :wink:

DPS + healer

DPS --- damage per second or in MMO terms characters whose main focus is to do damage

Healer -- a character whose main focus is to heal his allies

So a healer class who instead of doing what his class designed for, i.e. healing, is doing damage while is allies get slaughtered by the opposing forces. Which invariably leads to exchanges like this:

DPS class, "Great, dead again. Where the hell is our healer?"

Healer, "I was busy melting faces, sorry."

DPS, "How about a heal next time, jackass?"

Healer, "But melting faces..."

DPS, "Your job is to heal me bitch. If you didn't want to be subservient to my needs and ego you should have rolled another class. Now STFU and heal me, bitch."

Healer continues to melt faces while ignoring DPS class.

DPS, "Holy fuck you suck healer."

Healer, "Melting faces."
Adam (11-17-2008), wei yau (11-12-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Nah, with my DPSealer character, it's more like:

DPS: "Great, dead again. Where the hell is our healer?"

Me: "Healing the tank. Y'know, doing my job. Where the hell is your threat meter, dumbshit?"

Ain't gonna happen again anytime soon, anyway, now that Shadow priests are viable again. Eat my massive crit, suckas.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-17-2008), Zehava (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

one of my biggest pet peeves is tanks that play like scrappers, i build and play my tanks to hold as much aggro as possible and because of my secondary also to disorient them, I play like a troller that gets beat on.

tanks tank, the blasters and scrappers kill.

so many tanks think that they are supposed to kill shit and dont try to hold the aggro
Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Tellifying

The Celestial Dragon has been humbled. Even her imperious presence and powerful psionic attacks were not enough to pull off a frickin' bank heist in Kings Row.

Frickin' Longbow Flamethrowers everywhere, goddamned private security guards swarming the place with sub-machine guns.

And only fifteen frickin' minutes to pull it off. Got thrown into the City lock-up like a million times. Have a tremendous XP debt to pay off.

Where's my evil scrapper? I bet that would've succeeded.

What is the evil equivalent of a scrapper anyway? Stalker?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Tellifying

ETA: Stupid double post

Last edited by wei yau; 11-19-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The best analogy redside for a scrapper is a brute. At least, that's the closest in play style. Stalkers play like rogues from fantasy games (though without the pocket picking - unless you go through pockets after someone is "defeated").

A word about mayhems:
  • Do not run straight to the bank. One, it's a waste of your time. (So the generalized wisdom goes.) You should try to complete any or all of the side missions first. The maps at vidiotmaps show locations where the side missions can be spawned. Successfully completing side missions adds time to the clock!
  • So does destroying stuff on your way through town. Beat up everything you can (watch out for cars, they explode)!
  • Finally, watch your NPC chatter (blue in the chat box). This will alert you when you've incurred the ire of the candy stripers (Longbow, you know, red and white?). When you see that you've been noted, stop in a good ambushy like spot and beat the tar out of them when they pop around the corner.
  • Oh, and don't fly much more than a few stories off the ground. Longbow Eagles have been known to come out of nowhere and wtfpwn folks.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Tellifying

Thanks for the tips, bro.

I also learned something else while flying around Port Oakes with my Raptor Pack. There's a mob mansion with frickin' anti-aircraft gun emplacements all over the damned thing.

Stupid mafia.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Yes, the Rogue Isles are decidedly less friendly to the casual tourist.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I have actually been wondering who the hell lives in paragon city anyway, you can't go a city block with out being accosted by demons, magi, gangs on super drugs, aliens, etc....
Thanks, from:
wei yau (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I get the feeling that Paragon City would have been realized as being an alternate universe's Chicago.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Tellifying

Last night, Tian Shang Lung (The Celestial Dragon) accepted her next mission from Radio.

Soaring through the skies with her Raptor Pack, headed towards her next mission. Suddenly, large aircraft appeared in the clouds. Each one unleashed a furious bombardment on the city.

The Rikti had arrived. In her arrogance, Tian Shang Lung ignored the attackers, determined to complete her mission. This foolhardy approach ended with her being blasted by high-energy beams and ending up in the Hospital.

Once she recovered, she venture out again. Seething with anger and feeling disdain for those weaklings who would stay in the Hospital. Of course, not more than two blocks for the Hospital, she would be hit again by the Rikti attack.

Back to the Hospital.

This time, she would wait for the attack to pass.

Once it did, she continued on her mission. The Rikti attacks must have rattled her more than she would ever care to admit, for the fools in the Legacy Chain defeated her twice. TWICE.

Determined to gain greater powers, Tian Shang Lung went on a rampage in Port Oakes. Attacking anyone in sight. Her rage would only be dampened by repeated trips to the Hospital. Only when sufficient humbled and having incurred a tremendous amount of Debt, did she finally calm down enough to attempt her mission once more.

Humility served her well, though it did the Legacy Chain no favors. Tian Shang Lung defeated the magic-wielding opponents and stopped the initiation of their latest members.

Now, she's in Cap au Diable. She has completed her coursework at the University and has learned the secrets to crafting Inventions.

Tian Shang Lung had learned her lesson. Soon, she will grant the benefits of her education to all of the Rogue Isles. And eventually to Paragon City.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:cheer:

You carefully tune the dial on the radio. With no thanks to the vicious oligarchy of the Rogue Isles all you get are bursts of static. One last casual flip of the knob and a crystal clear voice erupts from the tiny speakers.

"Oh, ho HO! Free opportunity Radio is coming at you across the villainous Rogue Isles! The Rikti are still at it and in full force! Only those brave enough and strong enough and stupid enough can survive!

"But the beat must go on! Radio! RADIO! RAAADIOOO! is coming at you loud and clear with more deeds of daring ne'er-do-well! Lines are open, 666th caller gets the scoop on the biggest money maker this side of the Abyss!"

[Radio is one of the best contacts in the entire game. If you're lucky enough, you'll get to work for other non-animate objects: Slot Machine and Television (I can't vouch for Slot Machine, but Television is another fantastic contact.) Keep up the bad work!

I would have contacted you last night but I was busy hobnobbing with my character's favorite DJ and then the impromptu chat with Lees popped up.]
Old 11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Tellifying

I love Radio.

I saw you at Pocket D and figured I can do this myself. Besides, I was playing redside and not sure if you have a villain in your roster.

As for this Rikti attack, just how does one fight them? Is this a special event for supergroups only? They came and blasted the shit out of the landscape and then left. For the brief moments I was actually conscious during their attack, I didn't see anyone engage them.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

When a Rikti zone event occurs people generally congregate in one place to fight them back. But there's a progression of the invasion:

In Paragon, the war walls go dark and the sky becomes a sickly green. (In the Isles there are no war walls so only the sky thing happens.) A server wide message is sent (visible via the Hero or Villain event message system in chat). Then the ships come out to play.

They drop bombs across the landscape. As you have noticed it's wise to stay away from the ships as they can destroy you handily. The bombs they drop are timed and destructable before they detonate.

At this stage in the invasion you may notice broadcast chatter has increased, folks looking to form bomb sweeping teams and or anti-Rikti defense squads. Alternatively you can stand somewhere and the Rikti will transport to your location. If you're a big chicken or otherwise don't want to be bothered you can take shelter inside a building (any that are open to you) or stand under cover (an overpass, breezeway or whatnot).

And during the invasion mobs generally either disappear or turn to fight the Rikti (but will still likely attack you if you're in the vicinity). There is no debt while the invasion is going on regardless of how you meet your untimely ... trip back to the hospital. Also, level is unimportant. Fighting beside a level 1 or a level 50 player character any invading mob will con as your level and color appropriate for their rank.

There are badges and an accolade associated with fighting against the Rikti forces.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Tellifying

I'm checking out the forums to see how teams are being assembled in the redside of Virture. I'm a lowly Level 13 and expect to be Level 14 (flight, please) before I engage the Rikti.

I'm tempted to use Ti Gou (my heroic Scrapper), but I really need to level up some of my other characters. Maybe I'll ditch both of my Level 10+ characters and use a nub one.

Sounds like this is similar to the Zombie Apocalypse attacks. Most of the times, though, people gathered at the main base in each city, e.g. Fort Darwin at Mercy Island.

Apparently, there's a big gathering tonight in the redside on Virtue. I'ma go check it out.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Yep. It's pretty much the same as zompocalypse. Something big happening redside? Lemme go see.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Yep. It's pretty much the same as zompocalypse. Something big happening redside? Lemme go see.
Check it out.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:37 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:psst:

That looks like it'll be a lot of fun. I remember back in the day *wavylines* when the invasions were just starting. I know for positive I was on a team that dropped at least one ship.

Seems like there's more to it than just bashing a ship. But I don't know what the end game of it is - I haven't kept up on the what's what of it.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post

:psst:

:doctor:
Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Tellifying

Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Tellifying

Geeze, I'm tempted to join the fray on Virtue tonight. But, looking at the lineup, I see that there are some very heavy hitters there.

My puny L15 Magic Scrapper won't be able to contribute much to attacking the Dropship. Maybe if the Rikti actually make planetfall, I'll be able to fight.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The drop ships are considered giant monsters which means it has no set level, per se. You would no doubt be welcome to join the fray. Even though you are small of level your attacks hit and miss as though the giant monster were your level. You may not have great effect but your contribution isn't meaningless either.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum