Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Dark Lord, on the Dark Throne

Default Re: Member News

Lots of news to share.

Earlier I had told everyone that I started at RealNetworks last September. I've changed jobs since then - long story; the short version is that Real Networks is not a place that I would ever recommend anyone working. In addition to the daily chaos and the frequent resignations, they also changed my compensation package *after* I had already started working there. I can't begin to tell you how betrayed I felt, since I had only been there a short two weeks when it happened.

So I re-started the job search, looking for an honest company. As the first of the New Year, I have been working for a technology startup that makes power management software for large networks of PCs. It's what is known as "green IT"; an idea that I think is going to become more attractive as energy prices continue to climb. My area of responsibility will be helping them get the product ready for international markets. Not only is the job better than RealNetworks, but it also pays more. In addition, it's one block from Pike Place Market, so I already have figured out where I'm going for lunch each day. :-)

I finished my Statistics class this fall; I have to say that in seven years of going to college, it's the most difficult class I've ever taken. I had a five star migraine headache after the class was over, but I managed to pull a B+ out of the class. To tell the truth, I think the teacher was feeling sorry for me. I'm now almost exactly halfway through the MBA program. My next class is taught by a friend and mentor of mine, the same fellow who started the organic/free trade coffee company that I think I told you folks about. So I'm looking forward to it, because he's had some superb insights in the past and I look forward to learning more from him.

Oh, and I'm going to Florence, Italy, for 10 days over Thanksgiving in the fall. Envy me. :iloveitaly:
Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

I got a copy of the bill for my ~2hour emergency room visit back on the 17th today. I don't have to pay the bill (covered by insurance), but for a ~2 hour stay in which they drew blood, urine, I had an ultrasound, and I spoke to the doctor for maybe 15 minutes the bill was $1,305.

$1,305

The blood work, urinalysis and ultrasound I have no problem with and would be standard tests for severe abdominal pain anywhere I had went.

What gets me is the $472 Emergency Services fee (i.e. just to check in) and the $377 Professional Fee (15 minute exam/talk with doctor).

I'm glad I have insurance because If I didn't that would be a huge bill to pay, almost 3 months rent.

This could probably go in the health care thread as well, I may repost it down there.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
ŧiggermonkey

My mother-in-law is scheduled for another surgery. Not her heart this time, but something to do with her legs. :sigh:

My father-in-law has been diagnosed with colon cancer, the extent of which we don't know yet. :sigh:

Everything just starts falling apart when you are almost 80. Go figure.

Bah.

All the more reason to take care of yourself while you can because without your health, you have nothing.

It's scary watching people slowly and sometimes rapidly deteriorate toward death.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

I went in for my annual physical a few weeks ago, and my fasting blood sugar level was 127. My doctor had me redo the test, and it came out 123. (According to the Mayo Clinic:
Quote:
A normal fasting blood sugar result is lower than 100 milligrams of glucose per deciliter of blood (mg/dL). . . .

If your fasting blood sugar level is 100 mg/dL to 125 mg/dL, you have impaired fasting glucose — commonly known as prediabetes. To confirm the diagnosis, your doctor may repeat the fasting blood sugar test several days to a week later.
She has prescribed a self-testing machine for me, and has recommended that I attend a Pre-Diabetes Class.

It feels like I've gotten a speeding ticket and been ordered to attend traffic school.*

________
* I intend to pay attention. I have relatives who have lost legs to diabetes.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Kate, the border collie we adopted last year, was run over and killed Tuesday night. She has since been sent to be cremated by Green Country Veterinarian Clinic. Kate, like the previous border collie we owned, had a tendency to chase automobiles, which cost both of them their lives. No more dogs, says inland wave. I agree. We still have Peaches, the Queen of Rancho Pobrecito, who is almost 13 years old in human years. After she's gone, who knows.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Uthgar the Brazen

I have nice little connect-the-dots moles down the right side of my neck. Have had for my whole life. While buzzing my head tonight (zomg skinheadz!), I managed to nick one. It bled a bit, not excessively. I've got it Neosporin'd and Band-Aid'd. I emailed my doctor's office just in case there's a worry about that sort of thing (I vaguely recall from childhood that if you nick a mole, you'll get horrible cancer and die, or something like that). I'm not freaked out about it.

But 'tis ouchies. :sadeyes:
Old 02-16-2008, 01:27 AM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
I think I might be gainfully employed in a non-temporary, non-contract job soon.
It's true! Bwhaha.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

My wife finally got approved by the local Federal District Court, which means she can practice federal law here without minor annoyances like disbarment & such, as soon as she does the swearing in. Which the feds have kindly scheduled -- in freaking MAY. There is still no chance in Texas Hell that she'll be practicing state law here anytime soon, as the state bar here is run by folks whose heads are rectally positioned.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 PM

In other news, my house didn't burn down yesterday.

High winds made my untrimmed bush--no, not like that! :glare:--outside the house brush against the electrical wiring where it enters my house through the roof. This caused quite a light show and firework explosions before I could get out to the garage and flip the breaker.

The sparks traveled down the wire to the pole in the street, catching the transformer on fire and knocking out my neighbor's electricity in addition to my own. (Oops; sorry, y'all!)

Anyway, long story short ... I called 911, the fire engines got there after the show was over, and they waited near the downed wire until the electric company could come out and make repairs.

While I was without electricity--and cable TV and Internet; the wires traveled together, it seems--I read all 600+ pages of the new Stephen King novel, Duma Key.

Quite a surreal Sunday, was yesterday.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Quality Contributor

The good news just keep on coming ...

They noticed a tumour on my wife's thyroid gland today. They now need to determine whether it's benign or not. :(
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 AM
California Sober

I'm settling in at my new location. I'm staying with my mom until I find a place. Also I'm not in the Air Force anymore and I'm currently unemployed. "Yay."
Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

Why, hello there, Insomnia. Been a bit, plenty to catch up on. Like sleep, you fuckhead!

*falls over*
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
M mb r

I'm not sure of the details exactly, but apparently United Airlines called up Nissa to inform her that all of her accumulated frequent flier miles would be expiring at the end of April this year. We hadn't been planning on her making another trip to America; (she has visited for her last two summer breaks at Uni) partially because of expense and partially because I'm supposed to be moving out there soon. The frequent flier miles, however, tore that bitchin' SYD-DSM flight down to around a hundred bucks.... A fairly ridiculous value you'd really have to think twice about letting expire. Ergo, it became a real possibility for one more trip.

With a little bit of finagling of her Uni schedule, (thank god her advisor loves her to bits, and was willing to move things around and give her a deferment) it became a feasible reality.

Yesterday she bought the tickets and oh hells yeah life is good!

:love:

April 23 - July 21, baby!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Compensating for something...

Can anyone explain to me, please, the purpose of Wyoming?

Obviously anyone who is complaining about planetary overpopulation hasn't driven I-80 from Utah to Nebraska. There's nothing out there.

NTM
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Compensating for something...

Arrived, Ft Knox. 2,430 miles. Am looking forward to chilling over the weekend.

I'm sure inprocessing over the next week will suck.

NTM
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Last week, someone hit our checking account six times, at $300 a pop, via ATM. We both still have our ATM cards. We've reported it to the bank. They've told us they will investigate. We may have to wait 10 business days for the results.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
The good news just keep on coming ...

They noticed a tumour on my wife's thyroid gland today. They now need to determine whether it's benign or not. :(
Turns out it is benign. :cheer:
Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
they keep me in the attic

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
professional left-winger

We just got word that our nephew (my husband's sister's son) was severely injured in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan. Early indication is severe head trauma and he's been flown to Germany. He's barely 20.

Last edited by freemonkey; 03-04-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: He was Afghanistan, not Iraq
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
silky...

Happier news, Horse Girl's 'Emergency Breathing Apparatus" project came in 4th in the Science Fair

:peacock:
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

The job search plods along... I've sent out about 100 applications now, around 80 of which have gone to universities. However, I've applied to some government and industry jobs. Today, I had a short phone interview with a Very Large Government Agency (yep, you've heard of 'em), and it would appear that I'll most likely get a job offer from them (after an on-site interview, a lot of bureaucracy and...other things). The salary would definitely be nice (almost twice what I'm making now), and I'd be able to get the fucking hell out of the midwest! :woohoo:

I also got contacted by Allen and Associates (no, I won't link them). They're a company that promises to finely hone your resume and cover letter and "get you in front of hiring managers, not just HR people". Apparently, what they actually do is charge you anywhere between $1,800 and $4,175 to have an $8/hour lackey rewrite your resume and mass-mail a generic cover letter to random managers. Whatever you do, do not give a fucking dime to these people!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
The cat that will listen

RA and I had a lovely evening with One for Sorrow and her fam! Great food and company. :w00t:
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM

We're off to New Orleans, today. We're going to a wedding tomorrow, and then sticking around to see some sights.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM
silky...

Home Alone.

Horse Girl just left for the Caribbean with her Dad, Widget goes to Florida tournament tomorrow with his Golf Club. I am home alone for an entire week ~ just me and the kittehs. :eep:
Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Nevermind, wrong thread.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium