Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 08-05-2017, 01:04 AM
the internet says I'm right

Default Re: Codenames

Black & White: 2
Old 08-05-2017, 01:50 AM
California Sober

Hmmm I see a few possibilities. Crayon, chalk, and ebony all work for me, as does monitor.

:sadcheer: Not very helpful, know.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Hmmm I see a few possibilities. Crayon, chalk, and ebony all work for me, as does monitor.
Agreed, but I didn't notice 'monitor' when I looked. Good pull.

I bet if we get the first one, we will get the second, that will clue us in as to the clue giver's thinking.

I feel like Chalk and Ebony go together, and Monitor and Crayon go together.
Ensign Steve (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I think clues have to be one word.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I was thinking about that. Multi-word proper nouns are allowed.

If it were up to me, I would say that compound words that get a dictionary entry should be allowed, regardless of whether they're spelled as one word, with a hyphen or with a space. So, for example, "ice cream", "hard drive" and "high school" ought to be allowed. The fact that they're not typically spelled "icecream", "harddrive" or "highschool" doesn't seem that relevant. Then again there may be single word alternatives in these cases, like "gelato".

I dunno about "black & white" though. Crumb will have to give a ruling maybe. Or Limoncello.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 AM

When I was unsure if a clue was within the rules, I double checked with the GM, so I must assume the clue is proper without any ruling from the GM.
beyelzu (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post

If it were up to me, I would say that compound words that get a dictionary entry should be allowed, regardless of whether they're spelled as one word, with a hyphen or with a space. So, for example, "ice cream", "hard drive" and "high school" ought to be allowed. The fact that they're not typically spelled "icecream", "harddrive" or "highschool" doesn't seem that relevant. Then again there may be single word alternatives in these cases, like "gelato".

I dunno about "black & white" though. Crumb will have to give a ruling maybe. Or Limoncello.
Either way, you can't put the genie back in the bottle at this point. I don't know if this will present a problem.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post

The distinction you are drawing makes sense to me. I hadn't thought about compound words that have a space before.

I agree that black & white wouldn't necessarily be included in something like that.

Having seen limoncello's response, now I need to know about Compound words with a space.

What is the rule?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
What is the rule?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
During the game clue givers will take turns giving their team a clue. Clues will take the form of a single word* followed by a number. This is the only communication allowed in the thread by the clue giver.

For example, the blue clue giver might post Space: 2. This would indicate that there are 2 blue words on the grid that somehow relate to the word space. The clue must be related to the meaning of the word. You can't clue the spelling, or by rhyming, etc.

*There is an exception to the single word rule for proper nouns. You can use multi-word proper nouns as a single clue. Thus "New York City" is a valid clue, and so is "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead".[/SIZE]
beyelzu (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 06:34 AM
puzzler

I prefer monitor to chalk and ebony. I disagree with crayon because crayons are normally multicolour not monochrome. The other famous black and white word I see is stout - as in the drink Guinness.

What happens if Black and White is ruled illegal? Do we lose the game or miss our turn or what?
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
I prefer monitor to chalk and ebony. I disagree with crayon because crayons are normally multicolour not monochrome. The other famous black and white word I see is stout - as in the drink Guinness.

What happens if Black and White is ruled illegal? Do we lose the game or miss our turn or what?
I know that drink as a Black & Tan. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but Kael and I are in the states.

(Black & White is a cookie :cookie: )
Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Before I say anything else I'd like to hear Limoncello's official thoughts.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:35 PM
ChuckF's sock

Good morning players.

Only one word clues are permitted unless a using a proper name. Sorry blue team, I am going to penalize you.

You may make one guess only and then it goes straight to Red Team Turn.

Black is your clue for this guess.

White will be your clue for Kael's next go at it.

:lemon:..
Old 08-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Eh. On one hand, you just gave them a free answer. On the other, I can't help but feel like that's a fair response.

Hmm.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:26 PM
puzzler

If 'black' was the clue then we'd guess Ebony. But since we've already been given the penalty of having no fresh clue next round I think we should proceed with our first answer for the 'black & white' clue.

I think we now have to choose between 'ebony' and 'monitor'. If we choose one and it's wrong (and not the killer) then we should choose the other one next round.

If we choose one and it's right then we should guess 'Chalk' next time if 'Ebony' was right, and maybe 'Stout' next time if 'Monitor' was right.

Last edited by ceptimus; 08-05-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Yea, 'monitor' is out for the clue we have.

My vote is to guess 'ebony'.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 PM

'Monitor' is out because we essentially got two clues, thus black & white is not a single clue, and 'monitor' only works for the whole.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:44 PM
puzzler

Yeah but Kael did provide the (illegal) clue: 'Black & White'. We've already been penalized for that so there's no need for us to accept the additional penalty of pretending that he just said 'Black'.

We should give what we think is the best answer for the 'Black and White' clue - that may still be 'Ebony' - I'm not sure.

If Kael had wanted us to answer 'Monitor' (and maybe 'Stout'), he could have used the legal, single clue word 'Monochrome'. Maybe he didn't think of that, though it seems unlikely. If he was trying to give us two separate clues for 'Ebony' and 'Chalk' then 'Black & White' would have been good clues - but I'm sure Kael would have realized that was illegal. So I think we should consider answer words that are both 'Black' AND 'White'. If there were words like 'Magpie' or 'Panda' available I would be choosing those as my favorites, but there aren't.

To sum up, I doubtfully cast my vote in favor of 'Monitor'. But I'm happy if Jerome and Ensign Steve decide to cast their votes for 'Ebony' and guess that instead.

Last edited by ceptimus; 08-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-05-2017), Limoncello (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah but Kael did provide the (illegal) clue: 'Black & White'. We've already been penalized for that so there's no need for us to accept the additional penalty of pretending that he just said 'Black'.
If the GM separated the clues, and the answers don't fit the separate clues, that could almost be seen as gamebreaking. Yea, its our fault for screwing up in the first place, but I doubt the GM would put us in that position, having to guess an answer to a clue that theoretically does not exist.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
We should give what we think is the best answer for the 'Black and White' clue - that may still be 'Ebony' - I'm not sure.
My argument would be 'Ebony' fitting both the illegal clue, and the separate clue, is the best gamble.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:56 PM
California Sober

That said, I would also vote to guess Monitor as our first and only guess this turn.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Yeabut, there are only two answers to the clue Black & White.

Ebony has to be one of the answers for the clue Black, I would think.

This is what I meant when I said if we get the first one, we would see their thinking on the clue.

The ruling made it two separate clues, thus that is a clue in and of itself. Monitor does not work for Black, nor does it for White, as separate clues.

This is how I see it, but if the two of you disagree, no worries.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Again, these are just my thoughts, if the two of you disagree with me and choose together, I back your choice.

:)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 PM
California Sober

Thanks, Jerome, I get what you're saying and agree that there's merit in guessing Ebony. Still we have to pick something to start with and I'm gonna

guess: Monitor
Old 08-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Right. But "Black & White" as far as I know isn't a proper noun, nor does it seem like it was used as one.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum