Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Question Mark Sweet Revenge and Social Cohesion

Inspired by the coincidence of having come across this article a few hours before reading Farren's post here, I thought I'd make a separate thread of it.

The study cited in the National Geographic article:

Quote:
scanned the brain activity of male volunteers participating in a game of exchanging money back and forth. If one player made a selfish choice instead of a mutually beneficial one, another player could penalize him.

The majority of players elected to impose a penalty even when it cost them some of their own money. Doing so, the researchers found, activated a region of the brain known as the dorsal striatum. Previous research has shown that this region is involved in enjoyment or satisfaction.

Brain scans during the experiment also showed a correlation between a person's brain activity and how much punishment they choose to mete out at their own personal cost: Individuals with stronger activations were more willing to incur greater costs in order to punish someone else.
But it doesn't seem to be just a pleasure principle reaction.

Quote:
The study results suggest that activation of the dorsal striatum reflects some sort of anticipated satisfaction from punishing those who break social norms. The higher the activation, the more people are willing to spend on punishment.

However a second area of the brain, known as the prefrontal cortex, is activated when players need to weigh the satisfaction derived from punishment against the monetary cost of punishing.

The study results show that the higher the cost of the punishment, the lower the actual punishment imposed. "Thus, this all looks pretty rational," Fehr said. "People seem to trade off the expected satisfaction from punishing with the cost of punishing in quite a rational way."
The idea that the desire to punish can serve as means of social cohesion makes sense to me.

Quote:
Fehr and his colleagues suggest that the feeling of satisfaction people get from meting out altruistic punishment may be the glue that keeps societies together.

"Theory and experimental evidence shows that cooperation among strangers is greatly enhanced by altruistic punishment," Fehr said. "Cooperation among strangers breaks down in experiments if altruistic punishment is ruled out. Cooperation flourishes if punishment of defectors is possible."
That is not to say that therefore all bloodthirsty cries for vengeance are to be responded to with fervor. I've certainly had more than one horrific discussion over rape, child molestation, the death penalty, etc., where the line between deriving satisfaction from punishment and vicious sadism was not just blurred but virtually non-existent.

But can an overabundance of circumspection be as damaging as the excess thirst for revenge? If punishment plays a valuable role, does that mean there is such as a thing as too much forgiveness? Is there a golden mean to be found? Would the study have different results in a different culture?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Pistachio nut

Default Re: Sweet Revenge and Social Cohesion

Its certainly a fascinating article. There is, however a degree of interpretation in the conclusions presented and I think that might evolve over time.

Someone told me recently that obscene language is heard significantly less from Japanese Tourette's Syndrome sufferers than European or American sufferers of the same disorder. If Tourette's maps to neurological differences in specific parts of the brain (which, IIRC, it does) then the cultural influence (kinds of words, at least in the emotive sense, automatically chosen) might be wrongly ascribed to brain function in too broad an interpretation.

Similarly there's a possibility that schadenfreude similarly triggers certain responses, but is not the response itself. IOW, the delicious anticipation of revenge might be a process where the kind of delight is inherent to the brain but the route to that pleasure (anticipation of revenge) is culturally specific.

That said, it looks like the experiment described is the most recent in a series of experiments conducted by the same people and the interpretation offered takes cognisence of a lot of past work, so I doubt the interpretation is too broad.

This article I found provides more details about the experiment and links to related work and information about the experimenters:

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/002324.html

Its fascinating because it's evident that a large number of the responses that make us social creatures and dictate the kind of societies we form are "hard-wired".

In a recent thread on IIDB about empathy towards animals one of the central pillars of the argument that love for animals is some kind of intellectual perversion of our feelings, that we cannot truly empathise with them, was the idea that human emotional behaviour is a very simple ingredient and conscious intellect plays a massive role in exercising it.

But experiments like these hint, I think, that our in-built emotional reasoning is as complex as the intellect that sits astride it. Its a concern though, how people use this kind of information, especially in the consideration of moral behaviour.

The most obvious concern is that its too easy to simply say "we're built to do that, so it must be right". Such arguments would justify entirely crimes of passion which are guided by our complex in-built sexual behaviour, yet the majority of heartbroken people the world over manage to control the urge to commit such crimes because of cultural learning, with positive results.

From the evidence of anthropology contemporary humans in a primitive state are essentially pack animals, yet in modern society the majority of us live in herds. Our territories have shrunk massively, our behaviour, of necessity, has become more constrained and we have become tremendously more aware of the signals we're giving off and able to mask or alter them for diplomacy and deceit. This last assumption I've made is, I think a matter of degree only because there are many examples of self-conscious and deceitful behaviour in other social animals.

So there's always a tension between the very complex instincts that allowed us to form primitive societies in the first place and act in useful concert and the even more complex behaviour required to maintain and evolve our current society. Contemporary human culture has evolved much too fast for simple forces of genetic natural selection to keep pace. IIRC Richard Dawkins acknowledged this when he started talking about culture genes or memes as a compliment to his ideas about genetic selection (I may be wrong but I think he was the source of the currently accepted meaning of the term).

Many of our inherent, hard-wired responses still serve us well and others are totally inappropriate in modern urban life. Some are only useful in specific situations. So I think good part of the memetic evolution is a process of selecting which ones to temper and which to give free reign, as well as when and where.

I was chatting to my uncle the other day who is a sport fanatic who regularly runs marathons and does other gruelling endurance sports like long-distance canoeing. He was extolling the virtues of adrenaline in sports and it made me think of a book on brain health my brother sent me. Apparently every time you manufacture adrenaline you also manufacture cortisol as a by product. Your body flushes adrenaline in hours, cortisol in days. Cortisol is poison to brain cells, so every time you get really stressed you're making yourself a little stupider.

The author's point is that adrenaline is a wonderful substance that is useful for a lot of things, but our primitive ancestors got seriously adrenalised about three times a week, whereas many workers in modern society get seriously adrenalised several times a day and the cortisol just builds and builds with very negative consequences for your brain.

God I'm rambling again.

Anyway, back to how this all relates to the OP, I think my point is that the instinct to revenge probably evolved as an inbuilt response because carrots and sticks create a nice model for social cohesion by an obvious ratchet mechanism, but...

As I indicated on the thread this sprang from, the instinct required to punish deliberate antisocial behaviour (in the article above they actually stipulate that punishment was usually applied for deliberately screwing others in the game) would naturally blur over to the instinct to punish unintended or thoughtless social behaviour, usually with the same amount of venom.

Its certainly evident that this is the case when people scream at other people for, say locking the house and going out when another cohabitant has forgotten their keys at home. You see a lot of that, the desire to punish for even unintended harm or percieved harm. So obviously the desire for punishment/revenge should be curbed their because it doesn't advance social cohesion.

Thoughtless behaviour is more of a grey zone because its often possible to assume someone had adequate facts at their disposal to be considerate but was simply too selfish to exercise that consideration, a condition that can be cured by retribution - but on the other hand, the inconsiderate behaviour could be the result of ignorance. Also, there is a values debate around whether selfish negligence carries the same moral weight as deliberate malignance based on singular instances.

In terms of social cohesion, we'd need to have information about whether consistently malignant behaviour does more, less or the same amount of damage to society as consistently negligent behaviour. Given that the former seeks harm but the latter accidentally causes it, my instincts tell me malignant intentions are far worse, and the natural instinct for revenge should be curbed appropriately for negligent behaviour.

The last thing that occurs to me about the experiment is that a game with an abstract rule set was used and that has significant implications. A set of values were created and "harm" was defined in terms of those values. People weren't beating each other with sticks, they were point scoring according to abstract values, yet it triggered inherent hard wired responses.

So it can be assumed that the rule set could be turned on it's head - "good" made "bad" - and people would be enacting revenge for what were previously positive actions and letting previously negative actions pass without a response.

In real life, however, we can't make completely arbitrary value choices if we are to enjoy a cohesive society. So a lot of value choices stem from obvious usefulness. Some, as the prohibition experiment demonstrated (although some will contend this) and I think GW Bush's insane sex education policies will demonstrate, loop right back to a hard-wired response being too strong to select anything but the value choice that indulges them*.

That obviously highlights the role that learned values play in the triggering of such inherent responses and why we cannot entirely subordinate moral thought to inherent moral response or entirely subordinate inherent moral response to moral thought.

I think our instinct for revenge is a lot like our jealousy reaction. We indulge it far too much in contemporary society and that overindulgence means that it is often as harmful as it is useful.

*As a side note, its foolish to assume that only one working value set choice exists for cohesive society. The most rational model is one employed by contemporary evolutionary theorists who speak of a morphological phase space where there are a vast number of viable configurations of the entire value system in which the same values succeed in certain combinations and fail in others.

Viability is more or less an on-off switch, but within the viable range there's also a gradient of desirability. By making certain value choices we might be forcing the requirement of others. There may, in fact be more desirable overall sets of values but often to arrive at them we much change a whole bunch of values so that they will work well in concert.

Such changes cannot occur by increments, a fact which sometimes retards our cultural growth. Its a situation where any kind of incrementalism would require value choices that are bad in context to arrive at a new context (a different set of values) that work together well.

The phenomenon has been well described by the likes of Goodwin, Gould and Dawkins in genetic evolution, but I see it is far less discussed in the consideration of moral values.

Last edited by Farren; 09-04-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Diabolical Mimic

Interesting. This may be the first time they've said something original. Fehr and another colleague Armin Falk (an economic psychologist!) have been at this game for some time, though from both the point of punishment and of rewards. They've been trying to build up on the reciprocal altruism (RA) of evolutionary stable strategies in game theory with their idea of "reciprocal fairness" (RF). That means that people are willing to give up resources to reward kindness and/or punish unkindness. The difference between RA and RF is that RA is explained via repeated interactions in which it is in both parties interests to cooperate, whereas a situation of fairness in a one-off will only be done by the RF player, because the RA player is motivated by future returns, and will thus always defects on the last round (or always defect period, if the game is a one-shot).

Their studies showed that in one-off interactions, people exhibited RF in at least 40% of situations, and often up to 60% of situations. In repeat interactions, even a selfish player, if anticipating a punishment for any actions in the previous round, would have incentive to cooperate. This is their "glue" that livius quoted. Another experiment they did was on wages with one playing an "employer" and the others "employees". The employer offered a specific wage with a desired "effort" in mind, the employees would take the wage, and then return a specific "effort" that balanced their leisure and their pay (this was controlled by the blind in which "effort" of the workers was fixed). One of the astonishing conclusions of this experiment was that despite varying the number of employees and employers, worker competition had negligible effect on wage formation if effort-choice was decided by themselves. Workers generally reciprocated fairly according to the wages offered by employers, regardless of their labour market position.

All of this, of course, is very abstracted from real world conditions, but is still useful as a model. It does show that experimentally, the presence of selfish types will turn the reciprocally fair people toward noncooperative behaviour (because of the material incentives to cheat), except in the case where punishments exist within the structural framework. In other words, they take a very long time to say very little, but I suppose pinning it down on a section of the brain may count as progress. The institutional economists and Raimo Tuomela have been saying this for a very long time as it is--that collective intentionality (i.e., the values an individual feels are shared by his group) influences social behaviour, and barring collective intentionality, institutional enforcement is necessary. Fehr and Falk added a bit to rule out the collective intentionality by making players anonymous (including playing history), and it turned out that most players were reciprocally fair, but that cooperation developed only in the presence of (costly) enforcement measures.

Thus, the neoclassical profit-making conception of the firm is likely to cheat, given weak institutional structures. Some people knew this before we knew what Enron was. And I've forgotten what my point was.

Joel
Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I'm one of the people who will accept ludicrous personal cost to make other people be good. I'm not sure why. I perceive it as a moral judgment, mostly. It's not exactly that I want them to suffer; I just want them to find it to be a bad deal to act badly. That means that the cost has to be proportionate to their total benefit, not just the isolated benefit of the incident involving me.

Needless to say, I sue junk faxers. :)
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy